Do you think its "wear the wealth look" that's supporting our sector

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collin

the original not the fake
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Inspired by another thread this has got me thinking.???

From what im hearing generally speaking weather its nails,hair or skin your into our sector here in the UK as well as abroad is seeing little signs of the recession effecting us...in fact many are reporting an increase in levels of business this year.

Why is it that this is the case???

Could it be a combination of things

1) Women want to look good even through difficult times to "show" everything in their lives are going well...even if they are worried about finances or loosing their job...is it a smoke screen kind of thing so to speak ???

Yes they might be cutting back on some treatments and even extending the time between treatments but never the less they still keep coming.

2) There seems an unusually high number of entrants into our world and having spoken to many it seems that women across the country who are fearful of loosing their jobs are preparing for the future and see that our world offers them a low cost entry opportunity to start their own business and in consequence bring financial stability into their lives....whist their husbands close their eyes to possible looming financial difficulties down at the local drinking holes and drown their sorrows??

3) Could it be that despite all the doom and gloom reported on the news that the main problems are over and we are beginning to see the first signs of economic recovery.

Just looking at properties for sale and whilst many remain unsold I do see that some that have previously been on the market for some time are beginning to sell.

Could it be that us Brits are not looking to move home just now,cutting back on holidays abroad due to the poor exchange rates and in consequence actually have surplus income to spend on beautification again???

I look at shoppers and whilst the crowds aren't there restaurants and fast food outlets are chocka full

If you are one of the fortunate ones to be seeing growth this year in your business....why do you think this is happening????

I hope not, i understand that everyone wants to look good and take care of themselfs. Well most people anyway.

Those that wear clothes covered in brand names across it. Wear them so people know what brand they are wearing. Normally the stuff looks tacky and horrible anyway. They wouldnt wear a highly branded costly label that only had the tag on the inside because then people wouldnt know how much it cost.
The over the top tans nails make up etc included.

But for years i have allways fully believed that these type of people mentioned in the other thread. (the wear the wealth look) are normally those that seek attention.
You will normally find that these type of people arent wealthy atall they just like to look like they are. Those with money dont go around flashing it or screaming about it!

Just go to babylon in Aberdeen on a friday night, you will see the types of girls i am on about :lol:

You will normally find that these type of people arent wealthy atall they just like to look like they are. Those with money dont go around flashing it or screaming about it!

Just go to babylon in Aberdeen on a friday night, you will see the types of girls i am on about :lol:

I most definitely will go have a look...will you come with me ? :eek:

So effectively we get the best of both worlds then...those that are wealthy and go for a subtle look...and those that don't have money but want the "ive got money" look.

Either way rich or poor .....we get both customer types.:hug:

Of course! I actually got my bag stolen in this place a few month back and its ment to be one of the more 'upperclass' clubs of Aberdeen. Well apparently so anyway. The only difference i see is that it has is that the general age group that go there are slightly older than other places, and the prices are double anywhere else. Well when i was looking for my bag some girl said to me dont worry just latch on to some guy here and get him to buy you a new one they can afford it. I was totally disgusted.
It is full of young girls trying to find a nice older guy with money!!

In a business sense yeah its good for this type of industry , because either way we still get the business. Unless they start going else where. To cheaper places with poorer qualifications? Maybe thats why they often look trashy?

hey colin,

i have seen a healthy growth in business this year, both in treatments and retail sales which suprised me what with the credit crunch, i cannot quite put my finger on why,however we have a broad range of clients old, young, well off, working class, clients that come weekly, monthly or just every now and again ect which i think helps as the credit crunch has affected everyone differently.
although generaly speaking its our lower and middle class clients who spend the most and the ones who are quite well off take a bit more selling to! xx

I think that women who are used to looking good will give up most things before they give up the right to look good and feel good with the relatively small indulgence of a visible beauty treatment such as nails, tan, lashes etc. Rich or Poor.

I think government funding accounts for a large proportion of the unusually high numbers of those seeking to learn beauty services. (sorry old cynic that I am)

Historically the beauty sector always grows during a recession. It might not be a new kitchen, car or bathroom, but a beauty service is a small indulgence that brings allot of happiness and confidence to women; most would rather not eat than forgo these things.

Again I agree with Geeg! I think women now earn their own money and will give up other things before they give up their little indulgence. Going even further than that, some women see their treatments as necessities and see no reason to give them up.

Example? The husband of one of my lovely clients retired this March. He had told her that things would have to change and that they would have to tighten up on things. He proceeded to make a list of things which included less weekends away, cheaper supermarket shopping, less tv channels and her nails would have to go! Once she saw this she asked if she could contibute to the list as she had thought of something that would save twice as much as her nails. When he saw that she had added his bottle of Single Malt Whiskey a week he repented. She still has her nails done needless to say! :lol:

one of my reps told me of a recent survey that was done and 78% of women asked would rater buy cheaper food then sacrifice there beauty products. me being one! xx

It doesnt really cost that much to get your nails done nicely, Ive had mine done for two months (just had them off) and just seeing nicely painted nails made me feel better and happier which given the climate is what we girls (and boys) need.
Ive got my next nail appt booked already. :green:
:hug:

Hello!

I haven't noticed a decline in people having beauty treatments etc & from talking to my friends everyone is still going and having their treatments each month. In fact I notice more people having things done as there are so many special offers on at the moment!!

I think for some women/people say their nails are the thing they like most about themselves so they aren't going to give up their one 'best point'. Or it might be their luxury so they won't give that up.

The recession never seems to stop people smoking & drinking so i don't see why it'd stop them having beauty regimes- i suppose its addictive in its own way!

I think a lot of people are entering the industry as they think theres still loads of EASY money to be made in it & also job advisor types push people into it as they assume it must be really simple!

I don't think they actually realise it can be as hard work as any other industry & of course if you don't have a talent you probably won't earn well if you are no good at it!

Jane

The Guild Survey results this year also back this up. Despite what you may have expected, the results are very positive.

You can read the headline results online, just click here and turn to page 20.

Interesting thread.

I've had several clients the last few weeks that have said ''hubby says we can't affrod a holiday this year, so stuff him I'm going to spend some money on my self having my nails and spray tan'' :lol:
So far all these ladies have been returning evry 1-2 weeks to have something done...I'm not complaining business is booming :green: which makes up for the 1st half of the year when evrybody paniked about spending any money at all on luxeries.

:hug:

Latest posts

Back