Does anyone take a pre-paid deposit?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate Allen

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to this, so I don't know how to word things too well.

OK, So I have been up and running for a little over a year now, I offer mainly Gel Polish and Acrylics.
Last week I had a lady cancel on me 5 hours before a Gel Polish Appointment, and Yesterday I had a no show for Acrylic infill's!

I think what has annoyed me the most is that one of my "Cancelee's" is a "friend" and thinks she can get away with it, and the other well, she of all people should understand what it's like to be let down due to being a small business owner herself!

How do I go about a "deposit policy"?
I am thinking of asking for 50% of the cost up front which is non refundable if you don't give 24 hours notice of cancellation or don't show up.

I know I need to do this, but how can I word it?

Help much appreciated

Last edited:
It a dilemma often discussed on here, do a search for 'deposit' and you'll find loads of threads about it, and some wording suggestions too

It a dilemma often discussed on here, do a search for 'deposit' and you'll find loads of threads about it, and some wording suggestions too

Thank you.

I will have a look, I am tempted to try an online booking system which takes the deposit when they book... However I have a few hurdles to cross before I can get there...

Friday - Last min cancellation
Monday - "a can I pay you on Friday?"
Tuesday - Last Min Cancellation
Wednesday - A No Show
Today - Last min cancellation....

So as you can imagine, at a HUGE loss this week :(

Oh and this is AFTER I reminded my Clients I need at least 24 Hours notice if they want to cancel!

What was a Fully Booked week turned into 2 Paying customers (So Far) one of which hasn't paid yet...o_O

Oh and this is AFTER I reminded my Clients I need at least 24 Hours notice if they want to cancel!

What was a Fully Booked week turned into 2 Paying customers (So Far) one of which hasn't paid yet...o_O

Why are you agreeing to payment later???? :eek: The answer is simply 'no' - you don't go in to Sainsburys fill up your trolley and say I'll pop in Friday and pay you o_O

If they can't pay until Friday then they wait until Friday for their nails to be done. Lets be frank here...they're taking advantage and you're letting them :(

Have you called/text those cancellations to advise them of the cancellation charge? Rebook their appointments and as you confirm and close the call/text say something like 'and don't forget there will be the cancellation charge of £xx for missing your last appointment, see you Friday/tomorrow/whenever' [smile] and wait. If they then cancel the rebooked appointment you are well rid, they are just going to mess you around all the time, time to move on anyway and fill the slot with proper paying clients.

If you're really not comfortable with charging them then don't ignore the issue, during the rebooking call/text point out that they missed their last appointment despite being reminded and that next time there will be a cancellation charge, you'll let them off this one time because of [insert reason] but next time there will be a charge.

If you don't take control of your business it will get out of hand, you are not a friend to these people you are a business woman with bills to pay and a business to run - Go Get Em Tiger ;)

I have messaged those who cancelled, One of them is desperately trying to re book, but I am "busy" She doesn't drive and I have to go to her, the only times I go there is straight after my day job as it is around the corner. I like to work from home as it's less hassle. (The reason I am busy is because she is a repeat offender, and her house is a mess, last time there was a problem with flies going in my UV lamp!!!):confused:

One of the Cancellee's has said she will re book next week sometime, her reason was due to shift change at work (can't be helped).

My No show I messaged the following on Wednesday 4:10pm:
"Hi Faye, I have you booked into my diary at 4pm today, I was just wondering if you were ok and can still make it?"

I messaged her Monday to confirm.... she has seen and read the message, but not replied.:mad:

My lady who wants to pay Friday is a Friend, she's not just a random client, Her husband and my husband are good friends and have been for many years, she's quite trustworthy. If anyone else asked for this privilege I would be "Fully Booked!"

The other one who cancelled is due to give birth in 2 weeks and was having contractions the night before... Although I have never been through that, I can understand why she cancelled!:)

In a Nutshell, It's rather a lot of cancellations in one hit... Hopefully just a bad week never to be repeated!

Oh and I'm too soft and definitely need to toughen up! :rolleyes:

I have been looking at creating a website with a booking option on, it will have the Deposit and Cancellation rules on there.
Once It is up and running I will ask new clients to go that route (and any repeat offenders!).

Last night I had a lady message me from London, she's at V festival at the moment and had a nail tragedy! An almost snapped nail... I was first to come up on Google so she asked if I'd fix it... Sure... But it's like nearly 9pm!! Thankfully she just had enamel over her acrylics, so was an easy swipe it all off, file offending nail, fill the gap, smooth it over and a fresh lick of colour on all 10 digits... Then her friend asked if I'd fix her chipped one too... So I repeated the process for her friend.. An hour later and I have 2 very happy ladies on their way back to their festival... So while I may have moaned about cancelled appointments, I still had an unexpected one (two) which kind of makes up for it a bit...
So I have left last week behind and now onto focusing on the weeks ahead :)

I'm lucky that I don't have many no shows but had a client do it recently after texting me before her appointment. This was the third time so I've blocked her from my online booking system and won't be having her back.

I completely agree with Trinity. You need to take control. You'll feel better for it and will appear more professional therefore clients will stop messing you around.

Sorry to hijack this thread but, what online booking systems do you use?

Latest posts

Back