Does this look too good to be true?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yay

Reaction score
Hi guys I just joined up and wanted someone else to tell me I'm mad or have read this wrong, but.......have you seen the promotion on the guild here Beauty Guild : News - Beauty Guild

Is this as good as it looks? I mean I could go around town and buy 10 copies of the paper and then submit the 10 vouchers and make more than £90 even after buying the papers! If I did this every day August is going to be one hot month! I have signed up for it but does anyone else see a problem with this? Its not exactly cheating because I have bought the papers but just not given the treatments so no one looses as such do they? But easy money like this doesn't come around that often.

Hi guys I just joined up and wanted someone else to tell me I'm mad or have read this wrong, but.......have you seen the promotion on the guild here Beauty Guild : News - Beauty Guild

Is this as good as it looks? I mean I could go around town and buy 10 copies of the paper and then submit the 10 vouchers and make more than £90 even after buying the papers! If I did this every day August is going to be one hot month! I have signed up for it but does anyone else see a problem with this? Its not exactly cheating because I have bought the papers but just not given the treatments so no one looses as such do they? But easy money like this doesn't come around that often.

Without being rude, you really need to read what has been written!

Its for your business to lose the money ~ your not getting it back from the papers or the guild????

Its your choice to participate or not. If you choose too then you do the free treatments for FREE.

Its pretty straightforward and no where in any advert does it state that the guild or the express will pay the salons any money!

??? Youve lost me.......Are you talking from a client point of view??? No....Ive just re-read it ......I think you should read the t&c's.....that should explain it better.

Dont know whether I or you have misunderstood this promotion but I dont read it to be that we the Therapist/Technician will be gaining cash out of this promo but will get advertisement and new clients through the door with a prospect of them becoming paying clients.We will be offering a mini treatment in return for a voucher claimed through the ad in the paper the voucher will be worth £10 not give us the therapist £10 I too have signed up for this but understand it as I have said.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

I think that is correct thats how I read it too lol

Ok back to basics - This is what I have always known these promotions to be:

1) Salon signs up to agree to be part of the promotion.
2) vouchers are printed in papers etc with the offer for example a free treatment.
3) The client takes this voucher to a participating salon for their free treatment.
4) The salon redeems the voucher against the free treatment.
5) The client then hopefully becomes a regular.
6) The vouchers collected are now null and void although some promos ask you to send them off to to the sponsers for prizes etc.

God I wish it was as easy as collecting vouchers for a free tenner!

Think I may be getting some vouchers myself I need a make over!

As others have said you have signed up to give away free £10 treatments not get £10 a voucher. It's a way of getting new clients through the door so benefiting in the long term but not quick financial gain unless they decide to have the £10 off a bigger booking. :hug:

Dont know whether I or you have misunderstood this promotion but I dont read it to be that we the Therapist/Technician will be gaining cash out of this promo but will get advertisement and new clients through the door with a prospect of them becoming paying clients.We will be offering a mini treatment in return for a voucher claimed through the ad in the paper the voucher will be worth £10 not give us the therapist £10 I too have signed up for this but understand it as I have said.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
thats how i understood it. I've also signed up, just starting my home salon up so found it a good way of getting my name about..xx

2) vouchers are printed in papers etc with the offer for example a free treatment.
3) The client takes this voucher to a participating salon for their free treatment.
6) The vouchers collected are now null and void although some promos ask you to send them off to to the sponsers for prizes etc.

Got it in one.

We are not able to offer payment for the vouchers, but the intention is that new clients will come through your door, which you can hopefully convert into paying regulars.

Last edited:
No, I read it that I would get paid back the £10 otherwise there isn't much of a point in the voucher is there? After all how often does a non regular voucher customer turn into a regular? and if there is no payment for the voucher, why bother registering be cause people will come in anyway if I have registered or not and try and redeem the voucher?

God I hope I am right now, or I hope take up is low if there is no redemption. The last thing I need right now is to be giving away time and products for treatments for free. :eek:

Originally Posted by number1kitty

Got it in one.

We are ot able to offer payment for the vouchers, but the intention is that new clients will come through your door, which you can hopefully convert into paying regulars.

I just read this again after posting. So there is a £10 cash payment for the vouchers. Fantastic!! :lol:

I just read this again after posting. So there is a £10 cash payment for the vouchers. Fantastic!! :lol:

No, there is no payment for the vouchers. It is just a way to encourage new people into your salon.

No, I read it that I would get paid back the £10 otherwise there isn't much of a point in the voucher is there?
Looks like you read it wrong!

After all how often does a non regular voucher customer turn into a regular?
That's where your customer care and quality of treatments provided come into play. It's up to YOU to turn the voucher client into a regular client.

and if there is no payment for the voucher, why bother registering be cause people will come in anyway if I have registered or not and try and redeem the voucher?
If that happens then you tell those people that you aren't registered to take part.

God I hope I am right now, or I hope take up is low if there is no redemption. The last thing I need right now is to be giving away time and products for treatments for free. :eek:
I suppose it all depends on how business minded you are... if you have the opportunity to get your name out there by offering £10 off certain treatments and turn it down then it's your personal choice, however, in the current financial climate people are still choosing to have beauty treatments and spend money on their appearance (as they generally do).

I know which I'd rather do, shame I'm not in the UK as I'd love to take part and 'sell myself and my treatments' in order to gain new clients.

No, there is no payment for the vouchers. It is just a way to encourage new people into your salon.

oh dear, so your typo error that said:

We are ot able to offer payment for the vouchers, but the intention is that new clients will come through your door, which you can hopefully convert into paying regulars.

Wasn't a typo that meant We are able to offer payment but one that said We are not able to! It was just the ot / to thing that threw me there.

Oh well, lets see how well it goes. How many of us have signed up?

No, I read it that I would get paid back the £10 otherwise there isn't much of a point in the voucher is there? After all how often does a non regular voucher customer turn into a regular? and if there is no payment for the voucher, why bother registering be cause people will come in anyway if I have registered or not and try and redeem the voucher?

i thought you had to register for your salon to take part?
ive registered anyway:lol:
but how can people redeem a voucher without registering?

i thought you had to register for your salon to take part?
ive registered anyway:lol:
but how can people redeem a voucher without registering?

There will be a special website set up listing all participating salons who have registered. The instructions in the Daily Express will tell people that the vouchers can only be redeemed in the participating salons listed on the website.

thanks just wondered by that post as didnt make sense as thought that was the whole point in registering.

I took part in one of these promotions run by the Scottish Daily Mail. The only clients who presented me with a voucher were already regulars or ones who just wanted a free treatment and otherwise would never have come! Cost me a load of money (paying staff!), so I won't be doing it again!

I am just opening my salon so not busy at the moment and the amount it will cost me in products is worth the risk. I will give them one of my "Tell a friend cards " which offers the friend and them a discount on next treatment. If it doesn't work out, than just won't do it again..xx

Latest posts

Back