Don't know what to say to my boss!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemmat

Reaction score
I am going self employed in july, (renting a room) a couple of miles from where I work presently. I am going to be handing in my notice 2 weeks before I start and im so nervous about telling my boss!

Im not planning on stealing my clients but I will be doing leaflet drops, newpaper adverts etc so im sure that some will follow.

I dont know what to say to my boss. Im such a sensitive soul I dont want to hurt her feelings! Ive been at the salon for over 3 years now but she never put me on any training (i paid for it myself), only had one pay rise of 50p and that was at the very begining! I know she will tell me to leave there and then.

Im not sure whether to say that I will be employed in the new salon or say that I am renting it myself?? Does anyone have any advice about how to go about this? Grow a backbone some might say lol!!:lol:

You could say that as much as you have enjoyed working there for the past 3 years you feel you want to try something new. I wouldnt lie about being self-employed, as you dont want to give her any reason to bad mouth you if she found out otherwise. Its your perogative to further and better your career, so dont feel bad and go for it. Wish you well.:hug:

its a difficult one depending on how much you get on with her.

I would just say i was leaving to work elsewhere unless she asked anything else. if your lucky she may not. but if she does then dont be embarresed to say your renting the room because she is your boss..at some point she must think your going to move on and do your own thing.

If she does tell you to leave she will still have to pay you your notice as she has told you to before your notice from what i know. i could be wrong.

I would just tell her that you're leaving to set up on your own as a mobile and tell her how much you've enjoyed working for her.

She won't like it and she may ask you to leave straight away in case you steal the client list (like you wouldn't have done that already if you'd wanted to).

Just be positive and if it helps you with your confidence, tell a couple of little white lies to smooth the situation over, such as you having to leave for personal reasons and it being nothing to do with lack of training etc.

Good luck with your new venture. xxx

I'd say honesty is the best policy, although you could omit things like the lack of training.

Just be upfront & tell her that while you've enjoyed working for her for all this time an opportunity has come up to work for yourself which would be a good career move.....

If it helps any, why not put it in writing first & leave the letter for her to read. That's what I've had some of my therapists do in the past & I can see why they want to do it that way - they've still ended up blubbing though when I've read it, lol.

As you've been there for 3 years you probably need to give 2 weeks notice (perhaps even 3, as it's often a week for each year of service). She can waiver the right for you to work but she will still need to pay you in lieu of notice.

On an ethical & moral issue, as has already been discussed recently about ownership of clients, I do hope that if the clients follow you it's because of your external advertising & not because of what has been said in the treatment room. I'm not trying to imply anything here but you're only going a short distance away so be careful. The beauty world is very small & you don't want to do anything to tarnish your reputation.

But good luck with it all anyway.

On an ethical & moral issue, as has already been discussed recently about ownership of clients, I do hope that if the clients follow you it's because of your external advertising & not because of what has been said in the treatment room.

I agree! As an aside.....client can be odd creatures. As much as we can make some lovely friends, for the most part, they are just clients and will go where it suites them, with no loyalty to the person that's been doing their naild for five years. In my experience, there are those who enjoy to get away from it all by going to a salon and those who like to save money etc by having someone come home. Usually......the two don't cross over. xx

I'd definately say honesty is the best policy - you never know when you may need to ask for a reference in the future! So it would be better to leave on a good note.

I dont think anyone could ever blame you for wanting to futher your career. If she asks you to leave straight away she's only doing it to try and protect her business I guess (although I'd be slightly offended too!)

Hope everything goes well!!

Luv prettymiss xxxx

Personally, I would tell your boss the truth. I have trained several therapists in the past who have left me. They were excellent therapists (of course!) as I'm sure you are, or you wouldn't have lasted 3 years. Your ex boss is bound to have days she can't handle all the clients and will probably recommend your salon as it's not too far away and she knows you are good. No salon will ever recommend someone who is not good, but every salon owner wants to appear helpful to clients.
She will never recommend you if you sh*t on her and you never know when you might need her for something. (i.e a waxpot if yours packs in on a Friday night!)
Salons always do better when they work together.
I've been in business 20 years now and have never suffered by helping others or by being truthful.
Good luck in your venture!

hi hun id just be honest and tell her that you feel you need a new challenge eg self employment you have given her 3 years and you need to open yourself to to a new challenge :hug:

Just be upfront with her. Thank her for the opportunity she gave you and leave on good terms the you have a clear slate and concience. Try not to worry you had to do it some time. Look forward to your future and new experiences you will gain from this move.

Good luck xxx

Just to clarify: When I said 'tell a couple of white lies'....I meant to save the bosses feelings and to keep good communications between them. xxx

thanks for all your help. I like the letter idea, im definatly going to that. It will give me a chance to get my point across without being talked over. I will keep you posted xx:green:

Also, i have never signed a contract :eek: am I still entitled to the rest of my pay if she tells me to leave? what about holiday pay?

I'm no legal expert but regardless of whether you've signed a contract or not, there are still statutory payments which she will have to pay you.

This includes payment in lieu of notice & unpaid accrued holiday pay.

Gemma- check out the link below for helpful legal advice (in particular the sections on 'how much notice is an employer entitled to', 'are you entitled to be paid during your notice period' and 'holiday pay'. From what you have said, it sounds as if:

- legally you need to give at least one week's notice (which should be fine as you're planning to give two weeks)

- you should be entitled to pay for your notice period even if your employer asks you to leave there and then

- you should be entitled to pay to compensate you for any untaken holiday

Basic rights at work

Good luck!

Hi gemma!

Its so good to hear someone in the same boat as me!
I am also renting a space in july about a mile away and am also a bit worried about telling my boss. (ive been working there for 2 years).

I have no contract with her but want to leave on a high, so am leaving giving one weeks notice, most of my clients will be following me so I am not risking giving her anymore notice at the end of the day youve got to look after number one!!

Why dont you have a word with the owner of the room you'll be renting off asking if it would be possible to start a week early if she does tell you to leave then if youve got clients that need to come to you that week they can come to your new room and you dont mess your clients around.

I wish you good luck with your new venture!

Its exciting and scary all at the same time.
:)

Latest posts

Back