Don't see myself working in a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanilla

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I've nearly finished my level three. I would love to work for myself. I don't see myself working in a salon the pay isn't great and I want to choose what treatments I like lol.. I wouldn't mind working in a skin care clinic, coz I'm interested in advanced skincare but jobs I've seen what experience. Maybe coz it's blue Monday feeling a bit down. Wondering if this career is the right one for me. Did anyone else feel like this.

Hi Geeks,

I've nearly finished my level three. I would love to work for myself. I don't see myself working in a salon the pay isn't great and I want to choose what treatments I like lol.. I wouldn't mind working in a skin care clinic, coz I'm interested in advanced skincare but jobs I've seen what experience. Maybe coz it's blue Monday feeling a bit down. Wondering if this career is the right one for me. Did anyone else feel like this.
Hi there,

I knew all along that I'd be working for myself. And I'm glad I did as I have recently realised that I just don't get along with waxing, so have removed it from my treatment list completely and I hate feeling rushed when doing treatments so felt that working for myself was the only way. Don't get me wrong I would like to have gained some experience in a salon as I feel like a bit of a rookie at the moment as I'm on my own just starting out but I know in time things will be easier. xxx

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Maybe that's the way forward for me too. How long have you been working for yourself? xx

Hi I have never used illumina but need advice for a new client .. she has resistant hair usually uses 7/ but in other salons gets bands.. I know this is technique but as I'm using a brand I'm not familiar with I wonder firstly why it's 7/ and not 7/0 and if this product is correct for use on resistant hair .. thanks peeps

Hi I have never used illumina but need advice for a new client .. she has resistant hair usually uses 7/ but in other salons gets bands.. I know this is technique but as I'm using a brand I'm not familiar with I wonder firstly why it's 7/ and not 7/0 and if this product is correct for use on resistant hair .. thanks peeps

You need to post your thread in the hair section xx

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Maybe that's the way forward for me too. How long have you been working for yourself? xx
I qualified in July and have been building up slowly doing friends and family but almost ready to launch full time next month. Excited and nervous xx

Hi Geeks,

Hi Vanilla,
Firstly, are those your dogs in your profile picture?? They are soooo cute!! I know how you feel about wanting to pick and choose treatments & everything but I strongly recommend that you gain at least a year or so experience in a salon if you plan to go it alone. We have probably all done jobs that we hated for bosses that we didn't like for not enough money, but at the end of the day you are still learning on the job. I made some terrifyingly bad mistakes in my first year (in a salon that i hated) but it was having experienced people around me that helped because they could show me what I did wrong etc. I still use techniques that I learnt from another therapist in my first job, 15 years on! I took the plunge to go mobile after about 5 years in salons and have now had my own salon for 3 years & look at us..we are all still asking for advice from each other! You could maybe do work experience in a skin care clinic for a while?, but be aware that you need to start at the bottom to get the confidence that your clients will want. x

Hi Vanilla,
Firstly, are those your dogs in your profile picture?? They are soooo cute!! I know how you feel about wanting to pick and choose treatments & everything but I strongly recommend that you gain at least a year or so experience in a salon if you plan to go it alone. We have probably all done jobs that we hated for bosses that we didn't like for not enough money, but at the end of the day you are still learning on the job. I made some terrifyingly bad mistakes in my first year (in a salon that i hated) but it was having experienced people around me that helped because they could show me what I did wrong etc. I still use techniques that I learnt from another therapist in my first job, 15 years on! I took the plunge to go mobile after about 5 years in salons and have now had my own salon for 3 years & look at us..we are all still asking for advice from each other! You could maybe do work experience in a skin care clinic for a while?, but be aware that you need to start at the bottom to get the confidence that your clients will want. x

Hi Ruby,

Not my dogs but one day [emoji177]
Thanks for your feedback I'm going to try and get a job in a clinic but they all want 2-3 experience so I may have to get a salon job just for the experience.

Hi Vanilla,
When I was training, I knew I didn't want to work in a salon either - it just never appealed to me and my main interest was skin care and massage. I decided to work in a spa to gain experience. The pay was terrible and the work relentless but what I learnt was invaluable!
I now work for myself and I use a lot of tips and little touches that I learnt from the spa ...that you don't get taught during training! I feel that this has really set me apart from others in my local area and I believe that I wouldn't be as successful if I hadn't worked there first.

Many clients who walk through my door ask me what experience I have and where I've worked previously - I'd hate it if I had to say that I didn't have any. Being able to say that I've worked in a top spa gives me confidence and I know that it puts many of clients mind at ease too.

I think it's unlikely that many clinics would offer jobs to therapists who have no experience. I know some places have assistant roles, but this would probably be minimum wage and less hands on.
If it's what you want to do, hard work will get you there. You might have to spend a year doing something you don't really enjoy (although you might surprise yourself!) but in the grand scheme of things, it'll be worth it! x

I felt like this at college, I couldn't imagine working in a salon at all, I think looking back it was due to me not being confident and not happy with the treatments I did. However after college I worked in a brilliant salon starting off as a trainee, with 8 other therapists around me. It really made me realise that I actually loved doing beauty and the tips and techniques off other therapists were great. Also just getting reassured when you're questioning whether the work you've done is okay.

After 3 years I went to work for myself and i definitely don't look back, however I needed that time to be happy in myself and my work in the salon. The only thing I would say, if you do want to go self employed and choose which treatments you carry out you maybe end up cutting yourself short as there maybe someone else which offers more of a variety of treatments close by and rather than going to two places they'd want to get it done in one salon. Xx

I did have a browse through jobs when I was at college (studying level 2) to see what the industry was offering however most folks are looking for level 3 or 2 years salon experience. How do people get round this when fresh out of college? xx

I did have a browse through jobs when I was at college (studying level 2) to see what the industry was offering however most folks are looking for level 3 or 2 years salon experience. How do people get round this when fresh out of college? xx

Definitely still apply for jobs that ask for previous experience. Most standard job adverts say that experience is necessary but depending on the applications they receive, they will interview newly qualified too. Sometimes they might see something in an application that they like the sound of. Make sure that you come across enthusiastic and eager to learn. Honestly, having a good attitude can get you far!

As I said previously, some places take on assistant roles - this is a good way to get your foot in the door, then if they like what they see you can quick quickly get promoted. The spa I worked at had an assistant who was level 2 trained and working towards her level 3. She wasn't there long before she became a full therapist.

See if your college offers any help, sometimes they are associated with businesses or can give advice.

Hi,
Whilst i was still in college, I phoned round salons and asked if they would take me on as a volunter to gain experience, i did a friday
. I told them what i was working towards ( level 3 at the time) and i did come across alot of no's but i did find somewhere. All experience is good experience imo as you see alot and pick up the tips and tricks that would benefit you...good luck x

Latest posts

Back