Dove and Spray Tans

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amys-beauty

Reaction score
I just read somewhere Dove products shouldn't be used after having a spray tan? My Client yesturday says she uses it as its tinted with tan and I said to carry on using it. Im worried now as shes off to Butlins today! Shall I text her and say apologies but do not use your dove products? Panicking now :|

I have used Dove and it does make the tan patchy plus it fades it I was also told when I trained to inform clients that Dove does make the tan patchy and not advice them not to use it. About the tinted 1 though I really couldn't say.
I don't know what other geeks would do but I would send a text just to make sure as you don't know 100% the tinted 1 would do to the tan.

I've never heard this! Thank god she told me she wasnt showering until Friday morning! Ill have to trial it myself then, just a quick question then moisturise is obviously important, is any moisturiser ok? Or stay clear from all dove products? Thanks for your help! xx

How weird, I must try this myself.

I was told this years ago, about Dove.

Not to use the shower washes either before a spray tan, because of them being moisrurising,

I was also told not to use dove when I trained 5 yrs ago will make it go patch/ streaky! Have always told my clients to avoid it, and the shampoo conditioner etc

You can only advise her not to use it as your not sure how it will effect the tan, the rest is up to her. Xx

Last edited:
i had it go patchy with the dove shower body wash.

I think the OP's client meant that she uses Dove moisturiser with the tan lotion in it..like the Johnson's one,cant remember what its called exactly. Most tanning companies do a suitable aftercare lotion, with or without the 'glow factor', but any oil free one will do..dont know about the Dove/Johnsons one though as to whether it would break the tan up? Depends whether theyve got mineral oil in them I suppose..xx

I was also told to advise clients to avoid dove soap. I work at a large pharmaceutical company and one of my clients there used to work on Dove soap. He said it is a completely different chemical formulation to any other kind of soap, so there must be something in it that affects the tan.

OK lets clear things up.

Dove body washes, shower gels, bubble baths etc.. should be avoided before and after a tan as the moisturising ingredients leave a layer on the skin creating a barrier. All shampoos & conditioners should be avoided for the first shower after a tan and only a BASIC soap/shower gel should be used to remove the guide colour.

Any brand of tinted moisturiser including Dove or Holiday Sun (I think thats the Johnsons one) will be ok to use as they are moisturising and adding extra DHA and prolonging the tan.

OK lets clear things up.

Dove body washes, shower gels, bubble baths etc.. should be avoided before and after a tan as the moisturising ingredients leave a layer on the skin creating a barrier. All shampoos & conditioners should be avoided for the first shower after a tan and only a BASIC soap/shower gel should be used to remove the guide colour.

Any brand of tinted moisturiser including Dove or Holiday Sun (I think thats the Johnsons one) will be ok to use as they are moisturising and adding extra DHA and prolonging the tan.

Thank you for summary baggybear! It makes more sense now x

I thought it was because it contained AHA's and these stripped tan x

I mentioned this info a post last night.

Dove products contain a quarter moisturiser which is to be avoided pre tan.

I was advised by someone 'in the know' that we really don't want to know what is in the other three quarters!

Jacqui xx

I’m not trained in spray tanning, just an old gal that’s had a few :eek: over the years.
I was told a while ago to avoid all dove products both pre tan and after tan. As dove, pre tan can create a barrier on the skin casing the tan not to develop properly. And not to use afterwards to maintain the tan as it causes your tan to fade by striping the colour?? Do you think this is due to the oil and alcohol content? :confused: Just thinking about this because I’ve been told to use an oil free moisturiser and I think it may have been alcohol free also. xx

I've been wondering about after care moisturizers also. Not using any moisturizing soaps & lotions prior to a spray tan makes sense, but what about the ingredients in lotions for after care?

Perhaps I've misread, but I have seen some previous threads recommending using oil to exfoliate an overly tanned area. If so, then surely using aftercare lotions that contain oil, would strip some of tan? Not even thought about lotions containing alcohol, but could do the same too. :confused: ??

i've been told this to when i done my fake bake course. dove seems to strip tans so i advise anyone who uses dove to avoid it the day of the tan and for however long their tan lasts.

i put a note on my tanning treatment advice slips and its also on my website

Latest posts

Back