e files and NVQ

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holliejayne

Reaction score
Did anyone get the habia newsletter today?

In in was a little piece to say that there is talk of creating a new unit in the nail nvq to involve the use of electric files.

I think this is really good and can only be a good thing for the industry. What does everyone else think?

You do not want to know.

Sadly, I can't stop drills being a part of the industry ( I wish I could) and if people are going to buy them then obviously it is better that they know how to minimize the damage they cause by using them (even though they will cause damage) but they are not a necessary part of our industry, and until fairly recently most nail techs (unless they were using products like concrete) wouldn't have thought about using them.

Now with the marketing and promotion of drills and the need for speed speed speed (even tho they are no quicker to use) and promises of less trauma to wrists (not true by the way) drills are in our faces.

I'd rather put my money toward cutting edge quality products that are so easy to use, that the thought of a using a drill is completely unnecessary.

I agree with Gigi.And its not just in the industry but i'm finding clients are becoming concerned about there use.I know its all about the tech using the drill and not the drill itself but i myself won't be using one because i want to be recognised as a tech that doesn't use a drill as there are 100s of nss around here that do.Its going to be one of my selling points to try and make me a bit different from the rest(ie nss).

Surely less time =charging less money too.Clients will be able to see i charge a little more for my services than the nss because one of the reasons is i hand file and buff all my nails.

I had 4 calls last week from new clients..and 3 of them asked if i used e-files..(well they asked if i used drills actually)..when i said no they where pleased and booked the appointment with me...got me thinking about how clients are maybe beginning to see whats good and whats not, or even what they want and what they don't want.

Yep me to, never needed a drill and never intend to use one.

Sculpt with your brush and not with your file sticks in my mind (taught to me 13 years ago by Gigi....cricky is it really that long since you taught me gigi!!!) So with gr8 products and education ive never needed one.

I am on the Habia nail forum and we discussed this last year. It was agreed that an optional e-file nvq unit was to be put together so that at least there is a formal qualification. This is then up to the H & S officers to enfore the qualification on any non-standard salon or even quality salons that are using them. If its anything like enforcing nail extension qualifications then it will be years away..............................!

I wouldnt use one personally but I do think that its good to have proper training to use them for the people that would.

Years before I started doing nails I used to get my own done and they always used an e-file (except on my natural nails) and I cant say they actually hurt or damaged me in any way that Im aware of, but then they were probably properly trained as they weren't an nss.

I use the drill just for rebalancing and refill. I had proper training from Nancy King and it's great to learn. If you have proper training you wont hurt/damage your clients nails and practice your nails first.

i think its very responsible of them to be including a class on e-files. techs who use them without adeqate training are the ones who do the damage and give them a bad name. i wish all suppliers of e-files would include training with them, which had to be completed before the tech took it home. our local hairmart is selling the mani-pro now, without any class involved. with no regulations in our industry here as it is, i shudder to think of all the wannabes out there with this machine in their untrained hands!
icon_eek.gif

Latest posts

Back