E newsletter??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emol

Reaction score
Hi all,
i want to send out an email newsletter but have no idea how wondering if anyone can give me any advice- i have thought i could send a word document and just attach it to the email but would rather have it all in the email so it is all there infront of them if you no what i mean. Do i have to use publisher or something (dont have it on my pc). When i am trying to upload pics they are just coming up as attachments? Hope i am making sense! lol
Thanks
Emma:confused:

Hi Emma

Sounds like you want to send out an HTML email with the attached images included in the HTML markup as links. I think you should be able to do this with Outlook etc.

However, some email clients, e.g. Thunderbird, can be set to not show images by default, so you may find that not all recipients will see its message in its full glory.

Also it is good practice to send a plain text version of the email alongside the HTML version, so people using text-based email clients (e.g. Pine on Unix and Linux systems) will be able to read the text of your email rather than a load of HTML markup. I think you can do that with appropriate use of MIME attachments. Have managed it in the past using JavaMail but would need to look in to how it could be done when sending from Outlook or whatever.

Will need to look into this further tonight; that's all I can remember off the top of my head at the moment.

Hope that helps for now anyway :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Ruth any other info you have will be greatly appreciated! x:)

Cracked it!

Have managed it using Mozilla Thunderbird, Thunderbird - Reclaim your inbox

When you create a message using Thunderbird, you can choose to attach images to the message so they appear in the message like you want, as opposed to having to view them as attachments. Then you can choose to send the email as both plain text and HTML, so that it will work on text-based email clients too.

Have just done a test sending an email to myself - looks fine on my Linux box using Pine (so the plain text is working) then have downloaded it back to Thunderbird and my images are displaying as I want.

So my recommendation would be to download Thunderbird and use that for sending your emails.

Hope that helps :)

Hi all,
i want to send out an email newsletter but have no idea how wondering if anyone can give me any advice- i have thought i could send a word document and just attach it to the email but would rather have it all in the email so it is all there infront of them if you no what i mean. Do i have to use publisher or something (dont have it on my pc). When i am trying to upload pics they are just coming up as attachments? Hope i am making sense! lol
Thanks
Emma:confused:

You are making sense - I wanted to do exactly the same thing recently. What I ended up doing was creating the newsletter in MSWord, using a table, with lots of different boxes, without the outline.

I copied it into the body of the newsletter, but had to tweak a couple of bits before I sent it out (and tested it on a friend first to ensure it didn't look gobbledegook).

It was definitely worth it as I got quite a few bookings in return, so good luck x

You are making sense - I wanted to do exactly the same thing recently. What I ended up doing was creating the newsletter in MSWord, using a table, with lots of different boxes, without the outline.

I copied it into the body of the newsletter, but had to tweak a couple of bits before I sent it out (and tested it on a friend first to ensure it didn't look gobbledegook).

It was definitely worth it as I got quite a few bookings in return, so good luck x

Did you post from Word into Outlook or Outlook Express, incidentally?

Outlook Express I think. Does that make a difference then?

Possibly; Outlook Express is the free email client that comes with Windows; you have to pay for MS Office to get Outlook, so I'd imagine it would offer more features than Outlook Express - that's good if you can paste from Word into Outlook Express then.

Have just had a play with Outlook Express incidentally; it too will let you embed images in emails so they appear in the text of the message, just like Thunderbird will; you need to click on the image icon on the toolbar to do that - the one that looks like the pic of a mountain.

So I guess whether you use Thunderbird or Outlook Express is up to you then; I'm currently using Thunderbird, hence I posted how to send emails with embedded images in Thunderbird first...

Latest posts

Back