Essie gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like Essie Gel Polish

• Total voters

lilyanna

Reaction score
I've always used Cnd Shellac but found the Essie Gel on discount at Salon Centric so I bought a bunch because I've always wanted to try it. I started using it on my nails for a while over my sculpted gel nails and never had a problem. I recently started using them on clients with the matching Base and Top coat and... It's horrible! After I apply the first coat over the base coat it pits all over the nail. Holes everywhere on the nail. I try another coat over it and it doesn't help. I am using the CND Led lamp. I feel like I'm doing something wrong or is it just a terrible product? I've noticed no one uses the Essie Gel and I'm wondering if this is the reason why. Or maybe it's because I'm not using the Essie Led lamp? Although I can't imagine it being that different. Please any feedback would be great!

Lamps are different. The CND LED lamp is made to cure Shellac and Brisa only. You have to try the proper lamp before judging any product.

Lamps are different. The CND LED lamp is made to cure Shellac and Brisa only. You have to try the proper lamp before judging any product.
Yea, I guess that's probably it.... Is there a more universal lamp out there? I can't afford to have every companies lamp and I'd like to branch out with different gel polishes. I love the shellac but I need more/different colors.

There is no such thing as a universal lamp. I have five myself. It goes hand in hand with the job. You can't cut corners on lamps.

Yes, I was unhappy with the limits of CND Shellac and we added other brands to our gel offerings. The CND Shellac lamp really doesn't wrk on anything else. OPI, Gelish and IBD are our big brands. I love Essie RNP and was eager to try Essie Gel, but I was disappointed in it. Colors are often streaky and consistent, the formulae are often gloppy.

There is no such thing as a universal lamp. I have five myself. It goes hand in hand with the job. You can't cut corners on lamps.
I have 4 full size and a mini lamp as well. I'm not trying to cut corners but it's annoying if you want to try a new product you have to buy the $100+ lamp as well. Why invest before you can properly try.

I've always used Cnd Shellac but found the Essie Gel on discount at Salon Centric so I bought a bunch because I've always wanted to try it. I started using it on my nails for a while over my sculpted gel nails and never had a problem. I recently started using them on clients with the matching Base and Top coat and... It's horrible! After I apply the first coat over the base coat it pits all over the nail. Holes everywhere on the nail. I try another coat over it and it doesn't help. I am using the CND Led lamp. I feel like I'm doing something wrong or is it just a terrible product? I've noticed no one uses the Essie Gel and I'm wondering if this is the reason why. Or maybe it's because I'm not using the Essie Led lamp? Although I can't imagine it being that different. Please any feedback would be great!
I use quite a bit of the Essie soak off gels. I got them on sale as well. I got the for $ 4.50 and then they went down to a $1.50!!! I'm in USA, and got them from salon centric here. Anyhow, I've not had any issues w/them at all. I don't use their base & top with it. I know most brands w/ say they do not gaurantee the system will work unless you use the whole system. I just love Jessic Gelerations soak off base & top coat. If anything I considered not using the Essie brand because it was taking longer to soak them off! I like to use Essie , Jessica Geleration the most but I've been trying Gelish, IBD,OPI (because of color choices) but the one I'm excited about is young nails caption polish with their caption conversion base and top coat! First you apply the. Conversion base, cure then their caption polish, where a lot of them only require 1 coat! The brush is AMAZING. The lighter colors may need two coats . You have to Let the polish dry for 4 min. Then apply top coat. It will last almost a week! Watch their You Tube... I've also started using Young Nails protein bond with all my soak off gels. So amazing too! If you're able to get that it's less than $10 but right now it's buy one get 1 free at salon centric! Try putting base on very thin... And make sure you are rolling top base and color to mix because I read something written by Doug Schoon that you should always roll the soak off gels because some ingredients can settle to the bottom. Actually I think I learned that from Young Nails. Good luck

I use quite a bit of the Essie soak off gels. I got them on sale as well. I got the for $ 4.50 and then they went down to a $1.50!!! I'm in USA, and got them from salon centric here. Anyhow, I've not had any issues w/them at all. I don't use their base & top with it. I know most brands w/ say they do not gaurantee the system will work unless you use the whole system. I just love Jessic Gelerations soak off base & top coat. If anything I considered not using the Essie brand because it was taking longer to soak them off! I like to use Essie , Jessica Geleration the most but I've been trying Gelish, IBD,OPI (because of color choices) but the one I'm excited about is young nails caption polish with their caption conversion base and top coat! First you apply the. Conversion base, cure then their caption polish, where a lot of them only require 1 coat! The brush is AMAZING. The lighter colors may need two coats . You have to Let the polish dry for 4 min. Then apply top coat. It will last almost a week! Watch their You Tube... I've also started using Young Nails protein bond with all my soak off gels. So amazing too! If you're able to get that it's less than $10 but right now it's buy one get 1 free at salon centric! Try putting base on very thin... And make sure you are rolling top base and color to mix because I read something written by Doug Schoon that you should always roll the soak off gels because some ingredients can settle to the bottom. Actually I think I learned that from Young Nails. Good luck
I've used the CND UV light and also OPI 's LED.

Thanks so much for the reply! I do believe it's the base coat that does it because I can see the base starting to pit as soon as I put it on! I've used it with different brand base/top and didn't have the same problem. Very good to know about the Caption on sale at salon centric.

Wonderful post!
Thanks for the information.

Thanks so much for the reply! I do believe it's the base coat that does it because I can see the base starting to pit as soon as I put it on! I've used it with different brand base/top and didn't have the same problem. Very good to know about the Caption on sale at salon centric.
I'm so happy to have a sight like this.Years ago I bought a mobile nail supply business and this is the type of thing I really wanted to start. I have always LOVED my job and thought it would be so nice to call up or talk to my fellow nail techs (especially since I was one my self) and that's when I discovered women (not only one in the beauty industry) are totally different when you're not sitting behind a table. I loved the business for a month! I'd say I went to over 20 salons. It was great $$$. Picture a salon centric rep coming to your salon/spa, taking your order,going out to my van to get their orders and I'd even let them use checks where the clients didn't write their names is and some I'd hold off depositing their checks. I loved it when our supply lady came to my shop, definitely saved me a lot of $$$ because I'm so bad when I go into a supply store and get everything I didn't need and forgot to get WHAT I DID need along with spending more than I wanted to. My supply lady was the one I bought the business from. It was easy money and that wasn't even me really pushing anything. By the end of the month I discovered the many faces of evil with women. I had a few ladies that were down right rude ( one made me cry, when I got to my car ) the salon owner apologized for her attitude. A few of them treated me differently because they thought I was younger than I looked ( what I would give to hear that nowadays! ) but when they found out I had been married about 14 yrs, w/2 kids they suddenly warmed up to me. The shocker one for me was when word got around to several salons including the one where the owner apologized to me that I had breast cancer! Now because they thought I had breast cancer it was good enough reason to be nice. I always told my former coworkers that if US Women RULE THE WORLD if some of 'mean girls' would be nice! So I'm loving the salon geek thing is so cool! Have a great week!

I'm so happy to have a sight like this.Years ago I bought a mobile nail supply business and this is the type of thing I really wanted to start. I have always LOVED my job and thought it would be so nice to call up or talk to my fellow nail techs (especially since I was one my self) and that's when I discovered women (not only one in the beauty industry) are totally different when you're not sitting behind a table. I loved the business for a month! I'd say I went to over 20 salons. It was great $$$. Picture a salon centric rep coming to your salon/spa, taking your order,going out to my van to get their orders and I'd even let them use checks where the clients didn't write their names is and some I'd hold off depositing their checks. I loved it when our supply lady came to my shop, definitely saved me a lot of $$$ because I'm so bad when I go into a supply store and get everything I didn't need and forgot to get WHAT I DID need along with spending more than I wanted to. My supply lady was the one I bought the business from. It was easy money and that wasn't even me really pushing anything. By the end of the month I discovered the many faces of evil with women. I had a few ladies that were down right rude ( one made me cry, when I got to my car ) the salon owner apologized for her attitude. A few of them treated me differently because they thought I was younger than I looked ( what I would give to hear that nowadays! ) but when they found out I had been married about 14 yrs, w/2 kids they suddenly warmed up to me. The shocker one for me was when word got around to several salons including the one where the owner apologized to me that I had breast cancer! Now because they thought I had breast cancer it was good enough reason to be nice. I always told my former coworkers that if US Women RULE THE WORLD if some of 'mean girls' would be nice! So I'm loving the salon geek thing is so cool! Have a great week!
I just joined salon geek too and I'm loving that this is a rare spot on the internet where people aren't being so mean and nasty because they are sitting behind a screen! And I love the quick response and all the feedback! I've been doing nails for 4 years, I am the only nail tech in the salon I work at so I have NO one to talk to about nail stuff! So this is so helpful I feel I will learn sooo much here about nails and hair (I just started doing hair). Thanks for sharing your story and I hope and pray your health stays on track!

I just joined salon geek too and I'm loving that this is a rare spot on the internet where people aren't being so mean and nasty because they are sitting behind a screen! And I love the quick response and all the feedback! I've been doing nails for 4 years, I am the only nail tech in the salon I work at so I have NO one to talk to about nail stuff! So this is so helpful I feel I will learn sooo much here about nails and hair (I just started doing hair). Thanks for sharing your story and I hope and pray your health stays on track!
Thank you! I agree I love getting the feedback from others whether they are new in the business or been at it for many years. There's always some knowledge out there that we can learn from one another. I especially love to hear from nail techs in other countries ! Best of luck & Keep on filing!

Latest posts

Back