Evening or weekend nail course Manchester - advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missjaffacake

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'd welcome some advice from you all about taking an evening or weekend beginners complete nail course (gels, acrylics etc) in Manchester city centre.

I work full time mid week, not in the beauty industry sadly, but I want to do something creative and start doing nails on the side and one day progress much further with it (the dream!).

Can anyone recommend any suitable courses? I know CND and NSI are recommended but I don't think they do evening/weekends. Also understand I'll need to spend about £1,000 to get beginners quality training (or maybe that's wrong?)

Massive thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom.

Excited to get started.....

Missjaffacake xxx

Hi, its worth checking out the local colleges to see what nail courses they offer. I did mine about 9 years ago now at Tameside college, and they did Monday evenings. You'll have to do a Manicure and Pedicure certificate first, and then progress to Acrylics/Gels. I did a VTCT course at Tameside, probably a bit far for you if your in Manchester City Centre, but definately have a look at surrounding colleges nearer to you as many offer evening courses. X

Thanks very much for your reply Bizzy Lizzy. Do you work in a salon or are you mobile? How much was your course? Ill do some more research with the colleges nearby.

Well we are talking 9 years ago now, so prices will have changed dramatically. I had a look at Tameside College website and its £250 for the Manicure and Pedicure course, unfortunately its not running at the moment, but at least it gives you an idea of what other colleges might charge? I remember the Acrylic nail course was the same price, and your kit came with it, so not too bad. Both courses were for 12 weeks. X

Yes fair point! Stockport college is £350 for for the beginners course - sounds good! Thanks for your help.

Hi, it cost me £155 for my level 2 nail services (manicure, nail art and acrylic tip and overlay) at my college which was one evening a week and my level 3 only cost me £55 for exam and registration fees which was 2 nights a week. It was this price for me because of previous qualification and income etc.

Could you look in to course dates & book time off work as holiday? Thats what I did as there wasn't many eve & weekend courses, or should I say not with my chosen brand.

I think if you are already aware of CND you will only regret not doing their complete training or pay to convert then you'll need their kit as well as there one you had for college etc.

Good luck xx

Also forgot to mention at college we could only use cnd because we had some sort of link with them, all nail tutors had to convert to cnd and at the end of level 3 we were able to do the shellac course for £25 because we were students and can convert for £30. Kay pennington also came in a few times a year to talk about the brand and how to become more involved.

I don't know whereabouts in Manchester you are but I did mani and pedi on a Saturday morning at Trafford College, 11 years ago. Then 5 years ago I did Nail Enhancements on a Tues evening. The first course was 12 weeks and the second 16 weeks. 3 hours each lesson. Very inexpensive and fabulous training. We had tonnes of homework though! It was great to build up your confidence as it was over such a long period. You didn't feel as though you were thrown into the deep end.

I went straight from college doing mobile part time. Never looked back.

Thanks for all your comments. I work in Manchester but live in Didsbury so anywhere near either of those would suit me best.

Sorry to be stupid but what's the benefit of having a CND qualification? Will training at a college be sufficient for me to be a mobile technician, providing a do enough courses? I am a MASSIVE newbie to all this.

Thanks again xx

Thanks for all your comments. I work in Manchester but live in Didsbury so anywhere near either of those would suit me best.

Sorry to be stupid but what's the benefit of having a CND qualification? Will training at a college be sufficient for me to be a mobile technician, providing a do enough courses? I am a MASSIVE newbie to all this.

Thanks again xx

Yes. I don't have a CND qualification. It's a brand. (although I sometimes think it's a bit more like a cult on Salon Geek! :wink2:) There are loads. I've been a successful mobile nail tech without any CND training for the past 11 years with college training. 95% of my clients have never even heard of CND. Wouldn't have a clue. Just be careful who you train with and before forking out any money on training, check with some insurance agencies to make sure they will cover you if you train with a particular training school.

Everyone on here will rave about CND and I'm sure it's great but quite expensive in comparison to your local authority college. Horses for courses.

Wonderful that helps a lot. Thank you xx

Hi I have just come across this, I know it was posted quite a while back, but I wondered did you find any courses in Manchester evenings or weekend?
Thanks x

Latest posts

Back