Exaggerated Flare Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flare nails are not to MY taste, but can appreciate that they may be for others...If a client came to me and asked for these nails I would give my professional opinion as to what I think would suit the clients hands and lifestyle best....I feel thats part of my commitment to my clients, the ultimate choice is down to the client though (although 99% of the time they take my advise :))

Hey Geek,
I don't read much on BT so I missed that one. I was just catching up on emails and one of the subjects caught my attention in my geek email. That is really the only time I come and post on here. To be honest with you, this site has so many hidden rules that it is just to confusing to figure out if you are posting in the correct place, etc.

Like a while back I posted, for everyones benefit clay cane artist links and because some of them list them on ebay it was edited and then I was told I posted it in the wrong area. A lot of the artist use ebay to be able to reach everyone but it was looked down upon because they are not professionals (in the beauty industry) and their product is not sold in by the distributors (they are artist not product manufactures).

As far as the links go, sorry I did not realize that you have to be logged in. There is a way around that if you want to look. Just go to www.nailnetworking.niceboard.net (you may have to click the forum botton if it loads the portal and you don't see the pics) the scrolling header that I did has a lot of Angela's and Heather's work in it. You do not have to be logged on to watch the header. When you see Angela's all of the artwork is acrylic not hand painted.

It is definitely different strokes for different folks however it can be accomplished in a nice fashion. As I said the pics that were posted here are a very bad example of what you should expect to see from a flair nail.

I don't think its unfair to say that these flare nails are not elegant....thats not a negative thing nor is it a insult. Its about using words to describe a look, imagine a lady with t-shirt, jeans and trainers..would you consider her look (not her) elegant...? nope, maybe you would use words such as cool, trendy or hip....but her friend in the long beautiful dress...now thats elegant.

So would i call these flare nails elegant...no, but i would call them cool or trendy to those who like this look.

Not my taste at all, I think they are the worst shape I' ever seen, and I wouldn't advertise or use this shape in photos, etc,to advertise, but if someone wanted to pay me to do these then I would, I really hope the trend does not come over here :eek:

I do think that there are some very poorly done flares around, with people defending them by saying it's fashion, even though they are uneven and unbalanced, with stumpy looking nail beds.
On the odd occassion I have seen a set that I think are perfectly done, even though I don't personally like them..

Hey Geek,
I don't read much on BT so I missed that one. I was just catching up on emails and one of the subjects caught my attention in my geek email. That is really the only time I come and post on here. To be honest with you, this site has so many hidden rules that it is just to confusing to figure out if you are posting in the correct place, etc.
There are no hidden rules on this site...
the majority of them are listed in the http://www.salongeek.com/how-do-stuff-site/31101-commandments-geek.html
...and also the sticky threads at the top of each individual forum.

Like a while back I posted, for everyones benefit clay cane artist links and because some of them list them on ebay it was edited and then I was told I posted it in the wrong area. A lot of the artist use ebay to be able to reach everyone but it was looked down upon because they are not professionals (in the beauty industry) and their product is not sold in by the distributors (they are artist not product manufactures).
We don't allow auction site links (since the beginning of this year), this thread explains why...
http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/66068-posting-auction-site-links.html

:hug:
Hope the above info and links help a bit.

I won't comment on the flared nails :twisted:

No no no, they are horrid. Natural nails wouldnt grow like that, Horrible if you ask me.

We don't allow auction site links (since the beginning of this year), this thread explains why...
Posting auction site links

I am sorry that you feel that way and I personally understand the whole concept of not buying our professional chemicals of of ebay and fully support that. I have felt that way at one point in time as well. However I have found that sometime it is not always the case and I think, like in this case, that there should be an exception. It is not a professional product from a manufacture. It is a product from an artist. A lot of you are missing out on some of the best canes out there because her link was removed. I listed the link to my forum for everyone to find her and that was removed as well from the list. I also posted that she will take email orders as well for those that don't support ebay but the easiest way to view her canes at the time was on ebay. So I did give other options on purchasing her canes. I have since unlocked the general part of my forum for non-members to be able to view her canes with out signing up for my forum.

It is kinda a catch 22. We all go to our local craft stores and buy additives to make our glitter nails, our impressions etc. but then on the other hand you are promoting only buying our products from the manufacture. You can't get these item from the distributors and the ones overseas that are getting them are over pricing them and making the canes smaller. Also that would just about cut out hand painting as well since 99% of us buy that from craft stores as well. Make sense? I would never post a ebay link to our professional chemicals nor would I encourage people to buy them from ebay. That is my name and yours attached to those nails and you never know what they might of added to those chemicals. On the other hand why would we want to just buy our glitters, etc from say Young Nails only (and I use them just as an example because they are the only ones that I know that sells the glitter straight and not mixed with acrylic) when we can get double the size at our craft stores cheaper and they are the same thing.

I understand how you feel, I felt the same way you do about our chemicals but I have also found that economically speaking not all of our products need to be purchased from the distributors. This is how we are going to be able to include (cost effectively) these products into our service, increasing our revenue. So maybe someone should consider revamping the 'rules'.

I was also at one point in time going to let all of you know that I sell Bonnie's canes already sliced for those of you that don't like to slice them but chose not to post it for fear that it may not be in the right section.

All of the other forums you can post things like that in the regular forum. It does not get deleted, it does not get moved nor do you get reprimanded for not posting it in the correct area. I think sometimes it is taken to the extreme on here. Most people are busy doing nails, therefor it is very time consuming to sit and read through all of the rules that is in place for this forum just to be able to post. I have never seen a forum with so many rules. It takes away from what we are really here for, networking and learning from each other across the globe.

Speaking for myself, I know when I come on here I go right to the forum link. If I have something to share that is where I post it. It is easy and uncomplicated. Not time consuming. And easy to go back and check to see if a reply is needed.

Hey Tammy,

Though we are getting wayyyy off topic here allow me to try and share the reasoning.

We have well over 10,000 unique visitors a day on here. A lot of those come on to profit from the extremely high throughput of visitors. It starts off small, then quickly creates an avalanche of spammers and salesmen to grab a piece of free advertising. In order to maximise the enjoyment for the majority of the users, the minority have to bite the bullet and avoid using the site for personal gain.

If this were a substantially smaller site (like it used to be way back when) we could make ad hoc decisions on issues like what you are talking about. At the size it is now, it is logistically impossible to pull off (and more importantly) to pull off fairly for everyone.

FWIW, we don't just pluck the rules from the air, they have evolved as the site has evolved to serve the members of the site.

Thanks for understanding :D

To address the above comments re the canes and then we can hopefully get back on track with the original subject of the thread.

I redirected the cane artists to the links directory, having them all in one place made much more sense - well to me anyway - than having several threads about the canes - why look in 10 places when you can look in one.

http://www.salongeek.com/misc-sites/80831-list-clay-cane-artist-buy-directly.html

Feel free to add any more that you know of provided they are in line with the site rules.

Back on topic now please LOL.

Though we are getting wayyyy off topic here allow me to try and share the reasoning.

Yeah we are way off topic but it did also put out the fire so to speak.....lol.

Thanks for understanding
:cool: Your welcome.

FWIW, we don't just pluck the rules from the air, they have evolved as the site has evolved to serve the members of the site.

Can you maybe go into your admin panel and add to your navigation menu a rules of the forum link? It might make it a lot more easier and less upsetting for your new members if it is easier for them to locate. As the fonder of nail networking I have received several complaints, for lack of a better word, about how new member's are afraid to post on here because of being attacked by a post/reply that they have posted because they did not completely know the rules of the forum. I am not saying that you should not have rules just that it would be nice to not have to hunt for them. Keep in mind that you all have been here and now the site like the back of your hand, your new members do not. You have so much on here that it makes it very confusing.

To address the above comments re the canes and then we can hopefully get back on track with the original subject of the thread.

I redirected the cane artists to the links directory, having them all in one place made much more sense - well to me anyway - than having several threads about the canes - why look in 10 places when you can look in one.

http://www.salongeek.com/misc-sites/...-directly.html

Feel free to add any more that you know of provided they are in line with the site rules.

Back on topic now please LOL.

Having it all in one place is a great idea and does make sense. I only started one thread with all of the artist listed in it however I did reply and give information about them in a few other post.

So I want to get this clear.....lol.....I can go back and add Bonnie as long as it is linking her to my forum and not the ebay link. If I do this it wont be removed this time? She does have two options for you all to order from her, which is through email and the ebay. I also sell the slices so if I put that information on there as well is that going to be breaking the rules? Just trying to clarify and not break the rules. Hope you understand:)

BTW....what is FWIW????

FWIW = For what it's worth

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry just throwing this back on track.... tammy one of the mods will PM you on the last Q!!

I think they are hysterical. :lol: Everytime I see The Shovellers it totally cracks me up because of how ridiculous they look.

Of course this is my own personal opinion of which I am entitled to:idea:. I appreciate the talent in the nail art side but seriously... that shape is so gross looking I just find it funny!

Each to their own but I hope they stay in the US of A - and by the way I am a Yank too (just in case it looks like a pure British thing to dislike The Shovellers (good name for them actually)...) I wouldn't be seen dead with that look and I am both a lady (on occasion) and loud and like attention so.... there we go! :!:

Can you maybe go into your admin panel and add to your navigation menu a rules of the forum link?

Every new member receives a PM welcoming them with a link to the commandments. They are also at the top of each forum in the announcements section. I also think the team are very supportive and understanding of those that accidentally break the rules when they are new. In fact, I don't know of anyone that has been treated badly for breaking the rules (unless maybe it was repeatedly or just plain flagrant abuse).

Sometimes you just can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time. If there is a 1% troublemaker ratio for sites in general, than a small site seldom has any problems and those can be dealt with pretty quickly and easily. Scale that up to the level of activity this site has and you can start to understand why it takes a team of 8 to try and keep the 1% from ruining it for the other 99%. The few problems here are no different to any other site (in fact, I would say that there are a lot less) the only real difference is volume.

Back to your regularly scheduled topic :D

sorry.
My opinion is trailor park trash.....but hey if it sells go for it!!!
And in 10 years they may come back.....and haunt you eh?
Good luck!!!

hahaha!!

I really don't like them, they just look like they have been botched to me. In fact when I first saw them I thought "I hope they didn't pay for those".

hahaha!!

I really don't like them, they just look like they have been botched to me. In fact when I first saw them I thought "I hope they didn't pay for those".

A friend of mine came into the salon the other day to have her nails done but I couldn't fit her in so she went to a well known nail shop. When I next saw her I had a sneaky look. They were awful; flared with this really tacky air brush design French..( not saying they're all awful just this one !!!!)
I asked her tactfully if she liked the shape and the thickness of the nails and she said she asked for them to be like that !!! :eek: I am sooooo glad I was busy !:lol: I really dont think I would have wanted people to know they were mine ???
Oh by the way, this is just my opinion !

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 100 years late to this thread but googling brought me here. Actually I find google always gets me here, why I dont start here I'll never know. I'm from Utah like the original poster, and I am here to say the flares are here to stay! (That was a tongue twister) I think, as demonstrated here, people love em or hate em, theres rarely an in between! Maybe that's why people wear em? Perhaps like geeg said they are a very loud "take me as I am or nothing at all and I DGAF" sort of thing. I think the ones shown are.... wow! I'll admit, when I first started seeing huge flares like that my thought was "How does she wipe her butt!?" But SOME flare-age has grown on me. I HATE tapered nails. I hate long acrylic rounded nails. I hate stilettos, (someone explain how these arent witches nails) I am not nuts about stillettos, but I would never tell someone "don't tell anyone I did these" as long as I put my all into it. Especially because they are HUGE here in Utah. Just as a lot of the gel polishes are NOT huge here. We like obnoxious, what can I say? But it is VERY hard to find anyone under 60 with fake nails that arent squared, flared, or at least squoval. We dont do round. It's like an age indicator or something. And generally techs charge more for flares either because they use more product, the tech HATES them and wants to be paid a little extra for the "trouble" if you will, or both. Lol obviously they havent become the "hot thing" anywhere outside of maybe the western side of the US, and maybe it never will, but if it's the thing here you can believe I'll find a way to offer it and take the money!

These nails are horrid........ As bad as 'bubble' nails!!!!!!:evil:

Why oh why has this been dragged up again?
So what if they are loved in Utah, so what if they are hated in England.
This thread dragged up so much bitching and back biteing that I for one am asking that this thread be closed PLEASE!

Latest posts

Back