Express lashes v Individual eyelash extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lash & Brow Company

Reaction score
Hello,

I had a client yesterday, and we had spoken at length on Saturday re individual lashes and express lashes. I personally will not do the express lashes as I think they damage the lashes if used long-term, stunt growth, and too heavy for the natural lashes. When my client arrived and i removed her express lashes I was horrified they look like the bristles from a vaccum cleaner and on removing they had her natural lashes stuck to them. I explained my procedure clearly and advised her that look is different, however on completion of my individual extensions the look on her face said it all and at the same time I was disappointed as they did look lovely, but I think she was looking for the 'Katie Price' look.

Today, I feel disheartned and she also asked would i do express lashes, my answer is no (even if I was trained!). I do not want to be blamed for clients lashes being ruined long-term.

It is so difficult when clients are not aware of the different types of lashes available. Any thoughts and comments/advice appreciated:irked:

x

When you say express lashes, do you mean clusters? (ie 4 or 5 lashes tied together at the base)?

There has been loads of debate on here about different lash types but, for what it's worth, I'll give you my opinion.

I offer cluster lashes (applied with a temporary adhesive). They give the fullest look and are only meant to last 2-3 days. Personally I don't like the look and dont do much of them as I try to upsell to express lashes.

The express lashes that I offer are INDIVIDUAL lashes (same as SP) applied with SP glue but technique is different. This requires a separate training course and is a quicker method of applying single lashes. Lashes are not isolated so they need to be professionally removed after 2 weeks max. This is becoming more popular with me as you can "build" up a bit more (although I use finer lashes to avoid putting excess weight on the natural lash line). If applied and removed properly, these WILL NOT damage lashes.

SP lashes. Individual lashes applied to one natural lash. Can be worn indfefinitely with regular maintenance and infills.

It irks me a little bit that clients are being told that certain methods will damage their natural lashes.

Poor application, poor technique, poor aftercare advice from a technician is what causes damaged lashes.

We have seen examples on here recently of the most awful lash application but we have to remember it is the fault of the therapist who applied them. Those same lashes applied in a professional way by a trained therapist would have looked totally different.

Hope this has helped.

E x

Please don't feel disheatened that she seemed disappopinted. Properly applied SP lashes will NEVER give the Katie Price look. Some folk try, by using lashes that are far too long and heavy but we know what happens then!

I've said it before on here. If the client wants to look like Jordan, send her to Boots to buy a couple of sets of Strip lashes!

Last edited:
When you say express lashes, do you mean clusters? (ie 4 or 5 lashes tied together at the base)?

There has been loads of debate on here about different lash types but, for what it's worth, I'll give you my opinion.

I offer cluster lashes (applied with a temporary adhesive). They give the fullest look and are only meant to last 2-3 days. Personally I don't like the look and dont do much of them as I try to upsell to express lashes.

The express lashes that I offer are INDIVIDUAL lashes (same as SP) applied with SP glue but technique is different. This requires a separate training course and is a quicker method of applying single lashes. Lashes are not isolated so they need to be professionally removed after 2 weeks max. This is becoming more popular with me as you can "build" up a bit more (although I use finer lashes to avoid putting excess weight on the natural lash line). If applied and removed properly, these WILL NOT damage lashes.

SP lashes. Individual lashes applied to one natural lash. Can be worn indfefinitely with regular maintenance and infills.

It irks me a little bit that clients are being told that certain methods will damage their natural lashes.

Poor application, poor technique, poor aftercare advice from a technician is what causes damaged lashes.

We have seen examples on here recently of the most awful lash application but we have to remember it is the fault of the therapist who applied them. Those same lashes applied in a professional way by a trained therapist would have looked totally different.

Hope this has helped.

E x

Please don't feel disheatened that she seemed disappopinted. Properly applied SP lashes will NEVER give the Katie Price look. Some folk try, by using lashes that are far too long and heavy but we know what happens then!

I've said it before on here. If the client wants to look like Jordan, send her to Boots to buy a couple of sets of Strip lashes!

Hello,

Thank you for your comments (really appreciated!), yes cluster lashes (knotted together)...and thank you for advising that express lashes are different to individual eyelash extensions. This client had cluster lashes and they were done horrendously like a big mat of hairs. Express lashes sounds intresting...may look into that a bit more... saying that i would imagine some clients not taking any advice on board and will return to keep having these done...do you advice they should have a break from express lashes or do you find clients having them removed and replacing them straight away? Where did you do your training in express lashes?

You boosted my confidence... as I was taught we can advise, but client will always make her own decision and my work was lovely... however her expectations were of a 'thick matted' look:!:

Re express lashes. Once clients have had their lashes applied, I book them in for removal before they leave. MY price includes application and remova..

I do have girls who want to have the express lashes constantly removed and reapplied.

I advise against this as I feel the natural lashes are never properly getting a chance to grow.

I trained with CTA in Glasgow. I found the course very basic and have developed my technique as I go along.

Hope this helps x

Aaw don't be too disappointed hun, it's a continuous learning curve in this profession and sometimes it doesn't matter how much you explain a treatment to a client, if they have something else in their head, then that is it. I offer the same as Ellibee with the party lashes and use a temp adhesive and find my clients get around 2-5 days. Done right, this can look lovely. I've just started training with lash in a flash express lashes and did my 1st set last night, which was very natural looking. I need more practice for a more glamorous look but honestly the Katie Price look is horrendous :irked:. I also book my client back in at the 2 week mark for the complete removal. I was much happier doing the express, I was never very confident with the eyelash extensions.:hug:

Latest posts

Back