Extended hyponychium

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitsyProspect

Reaction score
I thought I had an Extended Hyponychium! I met a lovely client earlier today and she has a very noticeable growth of skin under the free edge of both of her ring fingers. She has quite long natural nails and they are very healthy. She hasn't had a manicure for many years and finds this growth very tender and inconvenient. She said if she cuts it, it will bleed... which I discouraged of course!
She would like to reduce this growth on the ring fingers of both hands and if anyone could offer some advice, we would be very appreciative.
Thank you so very much.
(I did search the site and found information about it but not how to reduce it or if it can be reduced)

Attachments

• IMG_2747.JPG
    IMG_2747.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2747.JPG
    IMG_2747.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 69
I thought I had an Extended Hyponychium! I met a lovely client earlier today and she has a very noticeable growth of skin under the free edge of both of her ring fingers. She has quite long natural nails and they are very healthy. She hasn't had a manicure for many years and finds this growth very tender and inconvenient. She said if she cuts it, it will bleed... which I discouraged of course!
She would like to reduce this growth on the ring fingers of both hands and if anyone could offer some advice, we would be very appreciative.
Thank you so very much.
(I did search the site and found information about it but not how to reduce it or if it can be reduced)
Morning BitsyP...
My mum had a client like this. I even remember her name after all these years 20+ because I had never seen anything like it and she too said they were so tender.

Known as Ventral Pterygium and also be caused from over-exposure but for some is a natural occurrence. As she is a client whose nails are natural I would suspect the latter. Some people are born this way and you just need to be really careful when manicuring.

A natural oil like SolarOil could potentially help but I don't think you can get rid of it completely because I believe it is just the way some people nails just naturally grow. Samuel aka The Nail Geek... Anything else?

I have naturally extended hyponychium and it can be very painful at times.

The only way I have found to control it is by using plenty of cuticle oil - this tends to keep it soft and supple and stops it growing uncontrollably. I never try to clip or file it back because it's too darn painful.

Yes, I have this problem slightly too. Occasionally the skin has been pulled away when I've hurt myself and ouch it's pretty sore for quite some time. I oil underneath my nails but there's nothing I have found to help.

Latest posts

Back