Eyebrow waxing causing drooping skin?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my last post on the topic...honest....as you could argue either way until the cows come home......but I would rather explain to a client ("practical" or not) why I have decided to no longer wax their brows than continue doing so knowing I could be aging their lids!! Just like I would tell them to change the skin care they "love" if it was doing damage to their skin. I have never had a client change their mind about having a brow shape when they know I only tweeze- they will respect your decision as they come to you as they trust you!!

And don't get me started on microdermabrasion...yup once again great short term effects can be seen with another of the beauty industry's quick fixes...however long term you could end up with photodamage and premature aging.

I am not saying that microdermabraision doesn't work...it does, brilliantly in some cases if performed correctly, but continued use over a long period of time (as with waxing) leads to a breakdown in collagen due to the continual abraison on the skin.

Waxing is topical and therefore effects the skin not internal organs, but yes I would say waxing the upper lip is not a good idea but I tell my clients the options and if it is the only one they can afford they are happy to make an informed choice and risk it.

Shall we discuss the benefits/dangers of sun beds next

:irked: :lol:

crystaltash said:
Guys, all great replies!!

I gotta say that I'm on the side of disbelief. We are living a world now where smiling will soon be bad for your health. If we don't ever want to get wrinkles, then we would all be walking round like expressionless freaks!!

I agree with whoever said that we are always looking for something else to blame for the agaeing process when, really, it's down to genetics, skincare and UV exposure!!! NOT waxing a very small area every six weeks!

As for erring on the side of caution and not waxing the eyebrows - who would agree that this is just not practical. A lot of my clients are eyebrow waxers and if I told them I wasn't doing it any more, I don't think they'd be too amused!!

Also, where do you draw the line? If you don't wax eyebrows, then the lip and chin are out of the question. Then you gotta think about underarms - there are important sweat glands and lymph nodes in there, so best leave them alone - and then the bikini line - too close to the reproductive system, it might harm your chance of babies later on........it can all just spiral out of control rapidly and waxing will wrongly be frowned upon even though it's one of the most popular forms of hair removal today!!!!

Surely if the 'violent ripping' action interferes with the skin, then so will micordermabrasion - which is being hailed as a god-send.!!!

I guess it all just depends on what side of the fence you sit on, but if anybody had some hard evidence on the subject, I would love to see it.

Sorry for opening up such a can of worms!!
Tasha
You havnt opened a can of words chuck.We r all entitled 2 our opinions.Waxing has been around for years I agree with everything u have said.:hug:

weezie said:
This is my last post on the topic...honest....as you could argue either way until the cows come home......but I would rather explain to a client ("practical" or not) why I have decided to no longer wax their brows than continue doing so knowing I could be aging their lids!! Just like I would tell them to change the skin care they "love" if it was doing damage to their skin. I have never had a client change their mind about having a brow shape when they know I only tweeze- they will respect your decision as they come to you as they trust you!!

And don't get me started on microdermabrasion...yup once again great short term effects can be seen with another of the beauty industry's quick fixes...however long term you could end up with photodamage and premature aging.

I am not saying that microdermabraision doesn't work...it does, brilliantly in some cases if performed correctly, but continued use over a long period of time (as with waxing) leads to a breakdown in collagen due to the continual abraison on the skin.

Waxing is topical and therefore effects the skin not internal organs, but yes I would say waxing the upper lip is not a good idea but I tell my clients the options and if it is the only one they can afford they are happy to make an informed choice and risk it.

Shall we discuss the benefits/dangers of sun beds next

:irked: :lol:
with all due respect i along with a lot of other people find eyebrow tweezering very painful.I know what I would do if a therapist told me she wasnt doing eyebrow waxing and I couldnt do it myself.Go elsewhere,no matter how good you were.There your clients who come to you for what they want not for what you tell them you will or wont do.Better edit this or someone will say something ,however if I felt it was detrimental to ones health then obviously I am the therapist and they are the client and of course I give them correct guidence.

There your clients who come to you for what they want not for what you tell them you will or wont do.
we obviously have very different clients and my tweezing is painfree compaired to waxing :)

I lied about not posting again couldn't resist!!!

I think it's great how strongly people believe in what they are doing

:hug:

Must also add I think waxing is great!!! I do it loads on clients and myself!!!

Check out this technique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VJPMO7EV9s&search=waxing
this one's better and I've posted it previously but worth another look this ones a over 15 rating!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSWrhmsb6MA&search=waxing

weezie said:
we obviously have very different clients and my tweezing is painfree compaired to waxing :)

I lied about not posting again couldn't resist!!!

I think it's great how strongly people believe in what they are doing

:hug:

Must also add I think waxing is great!!! I do it loads on clients and myself!!!
No problem,we are bound to feel strongly we are professionals and we all have our own opinions.I personally and most of my clients prefer to be waxed first then the odd remaining hair taken out with tweezers.Unless doing eyebrow reshape which in that case have to use the tweezers a lot more..I couldnt possibly get away with doing an eyebrow re-shape on the majority of my clients using tweezers,not cause I hurt but because a lot of people genuinly find it quite uncomfortable.Me being one of those people.I do have one that insists on having it all tweezered off.Youre right though.We all have different types of clients.

I agree that waxing the brow area on older clients,leaves the eye brow droopier,younger skin recovers quicker from the wax ..and has more elasticity anyway.Older clients who have thin(less fat ) skin on the brow feel the skin moves more,... stretches .....,during the treatment as it is looser,and takes longer to return to normal.Waxing other parts of the face does not have the same effect,as there is more adipose tissue.I myself(27 years a b.therapist) have not waxed my eye brow area,since i began to see signs of loose skin years ago,however on a younger person it gives perfect clean results that last.

mrs o said:
I agree that waxing the brow area on older clients,leaves the eye brow droopier,younger skin recovers quicker from the wax ..and has more elasticity anyway.Older clients who have thin(less fat ) skin on the brow feel the skin moves more,... stretches .....,during the treatment as it is looser,and takes longer to return to normal.Waxing other parts of the face does not have the same effect,as there is more adipose tissue.I myself(27 years a b.therapist) have not waxed my eye brow area,since i began to see signs of loose skin years ago,however on a younger person it gives perfect clean results that last.
p Older clients tend to have lost a lot of their elasticity without having any waxing whatsoever.I could understand that if we were to wax the eyebrows everyday for sometime that a droopy,saggy eyebrow may occur.Sagging of the brows is part of getting older,caused by the ageing process,my mohers brows are sagging,my mother in laws eyebrows are sagging,my great aunts are sagging,to name but a few.None of these have ever had an eyebrow wax in their life.Younger clients are going to have more elasticity because their skinis younger,more collagen/elastin.

The point is Babsann when you notice that the skin of your client is becoming older or looser, as a beauty therapist you should customise the service to suit the client and waxing is NOT suitable on the brow area for this type of skin for the reasons i outlined in the earlier post.Of course skin ages as we become older whether we have had brow waxes or not,but the muscle and tissue do not have the capacity to return to normal,after a certain age and if they continue to be waxed will appear droopier.

mrs o said:
The point is Babsann when you notice that the skin of your client is becoming older or looser, as a beauty therapist you should customise the service to suit the client and waxing is NOT suitable on the brow area for this type of skin for the reasons i outlined in the earlier post.Of course skin ages as we become older whether we have had brow waxes or not,but the muscle and tissue do not have the capacity to return to normal,after a certain age and if they continue to be waxed will appear droopier.
so glad you explaied that, I will be happy for my daughter to have her brows waxed again now.:)

One of the main reasons we get our brows waxed is to make the eye area look younger (it gives the appearence of a lifted eye) Iv waxed my brows since I was 17 and Im 33 now and the only ageing around my eyes are fine lines UNDER my eyes and to the side - NO drooping sagging etc...Crikey I would NOT wax ever again if I thought it was going to have a frightening effect on me nor would I reccomend it. After all as a beauty therapist Im in the business of ANTI AGEING not causing ageing.

Latest posts

Back