Eyelash extensions-allergic reaction ...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilysMummy

Reaction score
Hi all, to cut long story short, I did a full set of lashes on Monday. She left really happy with them, they were really full. She didn't want a patch test as she had lash extensions before by other people. I got her to sign a disclaimer. ...3 days later she text me saying that her eyes were sore puffy and itchy. I ended up going round
Soon as I could to take them off for her. Her eyes didn't look half as bad as I thought they were going to look like, just slightly flaky skin under her eyes.
What I can't understand though is she had not had any problems before from previous EE and it's highly doubtful that they used a sensitive glue on her, and I know u should patch test every glue you use, but surely most glues have pretty much the same ingredients In them??
Anyways she seemed to think that it could of been the lashes I.e I had either put too many on or the thickness of the lash which I used was too heavy for her lash. I used 0.25. But she had thick long lashes naturally, I did not add much length too them. It got me thinking though, if the lash is too heavy for her could it cause her itchiness??

We were both gutted to take the lashes off as they were a lovely set, And she wants to come back and have another set with a sensitive glue And I will prob use less lashes and a 0.20 . Most my clients are all young and have the thick 0.25 and never have problems with them.

Please help , could it be the lashes? I'm using eyelash emporium ultra glue, my mum is the only other person who had a reaction from this glue.

It could be a reaction to anything you have used but the most common reaction is to the glue or the gel patches.

I patch test EVERY client even if they have had lashes before. Every glue isn't exactly the same so it's important you test every client with your glue. Clients can also develop a reaction to a glue that they may have been fine with for ages.

I would also check with your insurance company regarding your policy of getting the client to sign a disclaimer. Some companies will render your policy invalid if you don't patch test even if you have a disclaimer. I know that's the case with my company.

I don't think the thickness of the lashes would cause a reaction? However (and you probably don't want to hear this! LOL) but I have completely stopped using the heavier lashes. Although they give a good look initially, I really don't think they are good for the clients lash in the long term. I now use 0.2 or 0.15 to build the "bones" of my set, and fill,fill,fill with 0.1 or 0.15. These give a great full look, are better for the natural lashes and will last MUCH longer (in my opinion)

Hope this has helped

Last edited:
It could be a reaction to anything you have used but the most common reaction is to the glue or the gel patches.

I patch test EVERY client even if they have had lashes before. Every glue isn't exactly the same so it's important you test every client with your glue. Clients can also develop a reaction to a glue that they may have been fine with for ages.

I would also check with your insurance company regarding your policy of getting the client to sign a disclaimer. Some companies will render your policy invalid if you don't patch test even if you have a disclaimer. I know that's the case with my company.

I don't think the thickness of the lashes would cause a reaction? However (and you probably don't want to hear this! LOL) but I have completely stopped using the heavier lashes. Although they give a good look initially, I really don't think they are good for the clients lash in the long term. I now use 0.2 or 0.15 to build the "bones" of my set, and fill,fill,fill with 0.1 or 0.15. These give a great full look, are better for the natural lashes and will last MUCH longer (in my opinion)

Hope this has helped

Thank u for your help. Will always patch test now!!!

And will think about doing less thick lashes, it's just my friends love them, and love the fact using the thicker ones means they dont have to put Mascara on . If I use the lesser thick and fill with bit of everything, they will probably have to wear mascara still won't they to look dark?

:) thanks for replying xx

The general rule of thumb I give my students is:

100% of lashes can support the natural (.15) thickness
80% of lashes can support the mascara (.20) thickness
20% of lashes can support the glamorous (.25) thickness

I always advise clients that I would like to continue to give them fabulous eyelash extensions a year from now, and using the thick extensions all the time will cause premature lash loss and eventually permanent lash damage.

Individual eyelash extensions is not a substitute for the thick strip lash look. Quantity of lashes creates fullness - thick lashes are really just a short-cut to creatinng a full set.

HTH

Francesca

Hi
Just to add, my insurance company said a disclaimer counts for nothing so no point in them. Best to check with yours x

The general rule of thumb I give my students is:

100% of lashes can support the natural (.15) thickness
80% of lashes can support the mascara (.20) thickness
20% of lashes can support the glamorous (.25) thickness

I always advise clients that I would like to continue to give them fabulous eyelash extensions a year from now, and using the thick extensions all the time will cause premature lash loss and eventually permanent lash damage.

Individual eyelash extensions is not a substitute for the thick strip lash look. Quantity of lashes creates fullness - thick lashes are really just a short-cut to creatinng a full set.

HTH

Francesca

It's never been put to me like this, thankyou :)

Hi!

I'm having a similar issue with a client at the moment. My client came in with mascara on (apparently the front desk had not instructed her not to). I used a simply waterbased make up remover and then wiped it clear with water. The glue still reacted to something and turned kind of a white-ish color at the bases. The client was still really happy with them and left with plans to return in a couple of days to see what we could do about the ones that turned a little white. This morning she woke up and called me and said that her eyes were a little sore and red- especially the left. She doesn't want to take them off though, she says it's getting better as the day goes on but I'm worried- I want to take them off and either use the sensitive glue or just give her eyes a rest (I use Novalash) and try again when I'm sure she has ZERO make up on.

Do you think her eyes reacted to the glue+ make up remover? Or is it just a normal irritation from the glue. Should I encourage her to take them off? She really likes them and wants to keep them on so they are obviously not bugging her too much.

Thank you!!!

i would always do a patch test, regardless of what the client says. clients will say anything to you to get a treatment done. i've had clients 'promise' me they wont 'sue me' if i carried the treatment out they wanted without a patch test... how nice of them! haha. you don't know what glue the salon used so you can't assume it would be a stronger glue or a more sensitive glue. as for glue being the same then if they were all made up exactly the same wouldn't they all work the same, smell the same and have the same use by dates? some glues work better than others, some smell different to others and some have a much shorter use by date than others. the only way to know would be to read up on the msds sheets of the glues and find out.

i'd always assume that puffy, sore, itchy eyes would indicate an allergic reaction to something. the only way would be to test every product you used on her individually surely to find out what that 'something' is? it could of even been her touching her lashes and having something on her hands and not realising it. i've never heard anything like that happening because of too heavy lashes... just that if they are too heavy like has already been said they can cause natural lashes to be lost, not look nice (as in giving apperance of dragging lid down) and wont last as long. though i'm sure somebody far more experienced than me will be able to give you more advice about that? did you send her to her local chemist to ask for more advice/some allergy medication to help? you could always speak to your trainer and ask for their oppinion. x

Hi, did u use gel eye pads or micro pore tape when u fit the eyelashes ? The gel pads tend to contain collage and surprisingly I have found a lot of people are allergic to them. I am one of them ! Just another possibility other than the actual glue .

Hi, did u use gel eye pads or micro pore tape when u fit the eyelashes ? The gel pads tend to contain collage and surprisingly I have found a lot of people are allergic to them. I am one of them ! Just another possibility other than the actual glue .

Hey, i usually use both, tape always and the gel pads are only used to make me see the lash a bit better, if you know what i mean lol. Yea it could of been the pad, we will find out as she wants them done again, so i will patch test her with a sensitive glue first, and go from there...

Thanks for all your help though. In regards to saying thick lashes are there to create a thick look quickly...thats not the case with me, it can take me an hour to do lashes, but i always spend a good hour and a half to 2 hours on lashes, as most my clients want the thicker look. And i think i work quite quickly, im just ensuring that i get as much as i can on there. And it will always look natural after, with the mascara look, and with me using .25's. So i dont think i am making a shortcut for myself, im just giving the client what they want, as long as there lashes are able to take it. x

Hi!

I'm having a similar issue with a client at the moment. My client came in with mascara on (apparently the front desk had not instructed her not to). I used a simply waterbased make up remover and then wiped it clear with water. The glue still reacted to something and turned kind of a white-ish color at the bases. The client was still really happy with them and left with plans to return in a couple of days to see what we could do about the ones that turned a little white. This morning she woke up and called me and said that her eyes were a little sore and red- especially the left. She doesn't want to take them off though, she says it's getting better as the day goes on but I'm worried- I want to take them off and either use the sensitive glue or just give her eyes a rest (I use Novalash) and try again when I'm sure she has ZERO make up on.

Do you think her eyes reacted to the glue+ make up remover? Or is it just a normal irritation from the glue. Should I encourage her to take them off? She really likes them and wants to keep them on so they are obviously not bugging her too much.

Thank you!!!

I am not sure why they have gone white? Not heard that before, did you use a primer before attaching the lashes?
x

Hi!

Thank you!!!

Were your clients eyes watering?? Could you not have dried her lashes off completely when you started application. Sometimes when the glue comes into contact with water/tears this can make the glue go whitish, its called blooming, you may find when she comes back they are fine, hope that helps x

Hi there,

Just wanted to quiz you experts as I'm a bit of a novice in this area. I got into EE because I loved the set I had put on me in May last year. I was very good, looked after them and had regular infills (2-3 weeks) with the same person.

Anyway, I have been fine all this tine until about 2 months ago when they got sore and caused a reaction, so I decided I needed a break from them.

After 6 weeks, I've had them re-done and I have had the red, massively swollen, dry flaky look in my left eye only-which us where the problem was before.

This set was a different person using different glue so I'm confused now.

Have any of you come across this before? Do you know a way round it as I love my lashes.
X

I too have had a similar situation with my own lashes. We used to offer Nouveau lashes in our Spa using Nouveau glue. May '10 I had my first applied for going on holiday. No problems so continued having new sets/infills. End of June '10 had my first reaction(using exactly same Nouveau lashes/glue). The strange thing was, only in my right eye,itching and swollen. If it was an allergic reaction, surley it would be in both eyes?! Removed the lashes and put a new set on using Glam lashes/glue everything ok for next few sets. Then after several months continual use Feb '11 it started happening again, still only in right eye. Using Piriton and eye drops swelling and itchiness eventually went ( still wearing lashes ) Had my new set applied last week and within hours both eyes now swollen and itchy?! Can anyone help? I love wearing the lashes and it promotes the service we offer too. :cry:

Leaving a note so I can refer to this laterx

Could be totally off the mark but are you having a reaction due to a build-up of use and having overexposure? Sounds funny you are having it with various glues.

In response to flutterby and sublime

different glues have different ingredients, you could be allergic to one glue but not to another. You may find you have built up an allergy to the first particular glue and the 2nd was the same glue used???? Your skin will remember this allergy and even if you leave it 6 months it will still react in the same way. You may have to do some research and find a glue you dont react to.

When researching, make sure you are patch tested by a couple of lashes on either outer corner of your lashes as if you have a known allergy this will be the best way to test a new glue. You may find you will have to use a sensitive glue which will mean they wont stay on as long as this type of glue isnt as strong.

Hope that helps x

beautifully said blinkingorgeous xx

beautifully said blinkingorgeous xx

Bless you hun. Just saw your reply to the other thread - too much sex - only you Laura, only you - cracked me up :lol:

Latest posts

Back