Facebook- where to start with business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkayla_herex

Xamyx
Reaction score
I'm probably the only person that does not have Facebook- not for my salon or even a personal one.

I would like to get a Facebook page for my salon but would like if someone could help answer a few questions:

Is there a different Facebook I use for business or could I use a personal one - as the personal one would be free.

I've read about a Facebook page- is this what people use for their businesses ? If I use this can I log in on my phone and add stuff? And If people write bad comments is there a way of deleting them?

Last edited:
I set up my business page from my personal one. It is a "page I manage"
This keeps your clients separate to your personal home stuff.

When you get the page created, go to the settings section and there are lots of bits where you can put your own requirements in.

I have also joined lots of local FB groups that allow advertising so if I put an offer on my business page I can then share it to all the local groups. This gets me loads more viewings than just the people who like my page.

I'm a bit of a novice with facebook..but this is how I think it works.

You need to set up a personal page first. ( I would suggest get used to posting bits and pieces, sharing stuff, liking other pages and seeing how it works.) I have the settings on mine so only friends of mine I've invited to see my page can see it. It won't come up if people do a general facebook search

You can then set up a business page, which is like a shop window for your business. There isn't a cost for doing this.

Reassuringly people who view your business page will have no link to your personal page. It's on your business page that you post, share and like things, put offers on and try an build up a following. If you have a website with a blog there is a way you can post snipets of your blog on you facebook page, so people will click the link and go to your web site ( it's understanding this bit I struggle with)

I think its important to understand who your target market are..then you will know what sort of things to post - mine tends to be the ' over 45 with health problems' market so that determines my post content.

Don't be tempted to set up a personal profile and use that for business, facebook will close it down if you do.

Are you still looking into setting up Facebook? As suggested above set up a Profile for yourself and have a look around before you set up your own business page. If you don't want to have friends on it and use it for personal use you can just use it for your business after its all set up. But it is often very addictive. Spend time looking at your competition and what they have been doing. Do you have a website? as they will work well together. Hope that Helps x

Thank you for your replies so I have to have a personal page first? What is the best email to set up with then my personal email or my work email?

Thank you for your replies so I have to have a personal page first? What is the best email to set up with then my personal email or my work email?

Yes you have to create a Facebook profile, and then create a page. I would set up your personal profile with your personal email, that way it keeps your profile completely separate from your business page and people can't search you through it (even tho I think you can turn this feature off). You can add your work email to your business page :)

I'm finding this abit confusing- so I have a personal account and have set up a business page for my salon.

Do I need to log into my personal account to access the business page?

How do I add clients to my business page? Do I just invite them to like? Or do I add them on my personal account?

If I write things on the page will people that like my page always see what I write (like if it does normal Facebook page) or do they only see it they look me up on Facebook?

Sorry for another question but I can only invite people to like my business page if they are friends on my personal page- so do I add all my clients on my personal so I can then invite them on my business page?

No... try and keep your work life and social life just that separate. Clients should like and follow your business page, keep them off your social page as they will message you at all times of the day and night !

But how do I get them to like without inviting them via Facebook (I know obviously asking them to in the salon but most people will forget so I though maybe it's easier to for me to add them on my personal page then I can invite them on the business page?

Unfortunately, you'll just have to tell them to look you up on there and like you. You're right unless they're on your personal page you can't invite them to like your work one.

If they like your business page only about 10-20% of likers will see your posts generally. Try to only post 2-3 times a week.

But how do I get them to like without inviting them via Facebook (I know obviously asking them to in the salon but most people will forget so I though maybe it's easier to for me to add them on my personal page then I can invite them on the business page?

Unfortunately it's just one of those things, the longer you're on Facebook the more likes your page will build up. People who like the page also won't always see your posts at the top of the news feed, this is what Facebook advertising is for as you can 'boost' posts so that they appear on people's news feeds in your area. Just put your Facebook page name on your business cards and if a client wants to like your page then they will :)

I have set up my Facebook page but am having a couple of problems.

I can't get my salon website on the page. When I go to edit page, then click on 'about' and type in my website then press save it doesn't save and a message comes up saying ;

the Facebook place associated with your page was not able to be updated at this time. Please try again later.

It does the same when I enter the adress. I have tried a number of times for the last week.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Do I have to pay to put my website on it? Also does anyone know how to get the map up on the Facebook page?

Are you doing it from a tablet or phone? Maybe try it from a laptop or desktop pc as sometimes you can't do certain things from a mobile device.

Are you doing it from a tablet or phone? Maybe try it from a laptop or desktop pc as sometimes you can't do certain things from a mobile device.
I have the same problem. Tried it on tablet and pc and same message appears. Have googled it and States to change the setting from a business page to a local page, make the changes and change back again to business page but for the life of me I can't find how to do that.

Latest posts

Back