Failing driving test

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachelizabeth

Reaction score
I am feeling so gutted right now, just failed my driving test for the second time.

On my first test, I got 5 faults but hit the curb on reverse around the corner.

On my second test, I got 6 faults but didn't do a mirror check when I needed to change lane on a fast roundabout.

I've had about 70 hours worth of lessons and dread to think how much it has cost!!! I also bought a new Ford KA in the summer which was a huge expense plus insurance. Each test costs £60 as well and it's not just that but the waiting time in between! It's currently over 2 months until there is another space free and I'm struggling getting to work with all the bus strikes going on at the minute.

Anyone else had to take a few tests before they passed? The test is also changing at be beginning of December so will need more lessons to cover that

I am self employed with my own beauty room, and driving is eating up all of my money and I'm really struggling :(

I passed on my 6th test. My problem was nerves-I could drive perfectly well but as soon as I got in a car with an examiner I went to pieces.

Is it nerves causing the mistakes? Must admit I passed nearly 20 years ago so it was actually easier then! Xx

I passed on my 6th test. My problem was nerves-I could drive perfectly well but as soon as I got in a car with an examiner I went to pieces.

Is it nerves causing the mistakes? Must admit I passed nearly 20 years ago so it was actually easier then! Xx

Yes I think it's nerves :( I do silly things I would never normally do, like today I moved off when my car wasn't in gear properly and forgot to indicate when going to park up... all minor things that I normally never have a problem with

The test is about to change again at the beginning of the month xx

Try not to feel too disheartened. Are you getting plenty of driving practice inbetween formal lessons?
I remember chewing gum when I took my test to help me concentrate. I never chew gum normally as I can't stand the stuff but it worked for me.

Bizarrely, in Ireland, unqualified drivers are allowed to drive solo providing they display L plates!!
Not to be recommended. :eek::confused:

Try not to feel too disheartened. Are you getting plenty of driving practice inbetween formal lessons?
I remember chewing gum when I took my test to help me concentrate. I never chew gum normally as I can't stand the stuff but it worked for me.

Bizarrely, in Ireland, unqualified drivers are allowed to drive solo providing they display L plates!!
Not to be recommended. :eek::confused:

Yes getting plenty of practice, I suppose I'm at an advantage as I already have my own car. However I think I still need to pay for an instructor to take me out and point out what I'm doing wrong.

There's not much public transport where I live which makes it worse I think!

And goodness, I never knew that! :eek:

I am feeling so gutted right now, just failed my driving test for the second time.

On my first test, I got 5 faults but hit the curb on reverse around the corner.

On my second test, I got 6 faults but didn't do a mirror check when I needed to change lane on a fast roundabout.

I've had about 70 hours worth of lessons and dread to think how much it has cost!!! I also bought a new Ford KA in the summer which was a huge expense plus insurance. Each test costs £60 as well and it's not just that but the waiting time in between! It's currently over 2 months until there is another space free and I'm struggling getting to work with all the bus strikes going on at the minute.

Anyone else had to take a few tests before they passed? The test is also changing at be beginning of December so will need more lessons to cover that

I am self employed with my own beauty room, and driving is eating up all of my money and I'm really struggling :(

If it makes you feel better I didn't pass until my 6th attempt!!!! Can't get much worse then that mainly it's just nerves I was always absolutely fine in my lessons by the tests just got the better of me!!!! The cost is defintley the worse part but just keep going you'll get there in the end I promise !!!!

There was a lady a while back that kept failing her exams every time and she would sit them for years. In the end, on her 66th birthday, and therefore not allowed to drive anymore, the authorities gave her an honorary driving license!
I believe she was in England but I might be wrong.
Nerves can be a pain

There was a lady a while back that kept failing her exams every time and she would sit them for years. In the end, on her 66th birthday, and therefore not allowed to drive anymore, the authorities gave her an honorary driving license!
I believe she was in England but I might be wrong.
Nerves can be a pain

Hope I'm not that bad :p

And you're right, nerves are a pain, I've always hated any kind of exam :(

If it makes you feel better I didn't pass until my 6th attempt!!!! Can't get much worse then that mainly it's just nerves I was always absolutely fine in my lessons by the tests just got the better of me!!!! The cost is defintley the worse part but just keep going you'll get there in the end I promise !!!!

Thank you that does make me feel better, all of my friends/family passed first or second time so I felt rubbish! But I hope I get there in the end like you :) on the plus side I wasn't as nervous as the first exam so hopefully I won't be as nervous next time either

Would you consider some hypnotherapy to help with your anxiety, specifically for the driving test?

Thank you that does make me feel better, all of my friends/family passed first or second time so I felt rubbish! But I hope I get there in the end like you :) on the plus side I wasn't as nervous as the first exam so hopefully I won't be as nervous next time either

Oh yeah it defintley gets easier !!! Just hang in there and don't lose faith!!! Xxx

Would you consider some hypnotherapy to help with your anxiety, specifically for the driving test?

I've never thought of it but I'd be open to it as I suffer with anxiety and panic attacks anyway, do you know what it entails? I've never had it or known anyone who's had it

A simple analysis. The people who suffer from anxiety tend to focus far too heavily on the one negative comment from someone and dismiss the other 9 positive comments from other people.
With CBT based hypnotherapy, you can learn to rebalance your thinking and put negative thoughts into proper perspective.
After a session, you should leave the room feeling relaxed and positive.
Like hairdressers, you should be able to find one that you click with and feel comfortable.
Also, it should only take 1-3 sessions if they're good.

Just a thought ... are you having your lessons and taking your tests in your own car? My daughter passed her test 2 weeks ago, so the memory of the stress of it all is still fresh! To begin with she really struggled going from her instructor's car for lessons to her own for driving practice with us, (she also suffers from severe anxiety) so she started having her lessons with her instructor using her own car as well and it made a huge difference. I think the familiarity of only driving one car was much less stressful for her. For her test Her instructor recommended Rescue Remedy, which unfortunately she forgot to take with her!! Her nerves did actually get the better of her during her pre-test lesson but she managed to pull it together for her actual test thank goodness! I wish you every success for your next test, and please don't give up! It's given my daughter a whole new lease of life as we live in a rural area with no buses near by. She's managed to squeeze my old beauty couch in the back of her little Citroen C1 and can do mobile treatments whilst our new salon is being built!

Latest posts

Back