Fat thumb with very wide short nails - has anyone come across these before?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I have a client with the same thumb nails. No forms fit, no tips fit. so I treat the 2 thumbs as toes and do hollywood toes on just those 2, then the other fingers in her chosen method. We have agreed a name for her very wide, very short thumbs "Thoes". She is quite amused now to call them "Thoes" and not embarassed about them anymore, she used to try and hide them, now she is happy to show them off. LOL x

Thanks Liedwei, that's exactly the type of thumb i was trying to describe.
Although i'm used to seeing it with a much shorter nail on people.

Here's the link to the pic Leidwei very kindly put in the gallery.

http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=5751

It would seem that's it's quite prevalent then.

oh i see what you mean now

do you know how long i spent trying to picture this in my mind

Morning peeps!

I thought i'd pop this thread on as it's been bugging me for awhile.

Over the past 3 years since i've been 'doing nails' i have come across a handfull of people with a kind of odd, bulbous thumb on either one or both hands. All other fingers and nails are normal.:!:

This thumb has always got a very wide nail which is always short, i wish i'd taken a pic of my last client last week who had thie condition on on hand.
So far my tip & overlay has stayed on ok.

The shape of the thumb is always the same on everyone. A lady who's daughter and husband had thumbs like it called it 'Cello Thumb' as in the musical instrument.

Has anyone any idea what i'm talking about ???? Or come accross it?

i have 1 current client with thumbs like that. all you need to do is adapt a sculpting form! i either just cut it to fit or cut it in half and use the oval pop out bit to put it back together, which makes a wider sculpting form!

I've got a couple of clients with thumbs like this, I don't think they're abnormal though, although they can be difficult to work on and create a nice shape, especially as my ladies' thumbs are extremely chubby and the nail even more deep-set than in the pic!

My second to the youngest sister has those thumbs. My mom called them club nails.
She is extremely shy about showing them. She keeps them covered most of the time.
She had her nails done a while back and the entire shop went over to "study" her thumbs.
I need to take a picture of them next time I see her.

She live 3.5 hours away and was coming here for me to do her nails, but with gas prices what they are.....

I have a client with the same thing ,usually i sculpt the thumb/or star nails and i think its pro tip do large tips for this kind of thing,i mtry to get her to have almond shape as i think this balances better Diana

Hello,
I come across this situation everytime I do a fill. I am one of those people with a thumb as you described. If you prefer tipping. I believe Sally's sells extra wide tips. Searching the web for such and extra large tip wlll help. It is very important to have the arch in the center to give it stregnth. But normally I will sculpt to extend the free edge and give the appearance of a longer nail bed. You can use a dramatic pink( for pink and whites) which many of the nail manufacturers are developing for short nail beds. Make sure to cover sidewall to sidewall. Forms will need to be trimmed wider for it to fit properly. With practice this will not be such a concern. Good luck.:green:

I have a client who has thumbs like this, yet all other nails are normal size. I sculpt all her nails, and adapt the nail form to fit, like i was taught at college. Just cut small amounts from the inside of the form til they fit. Bit fiddly at first, but once you get to know their nails, it becomes second nature. HTH.

I have a client who is just like this, it is just like a big toe with a bulbous end, it also had extremely bad ridges which used to split at the free edge. After having Calgel for a year, the ridge has now completely gone, and the splitting stopped and she has nno..she even called it her hugothumberlina. xx

Hi everyone.

In the netherlands we call them hamer nagels (hammerd nails) They are very wide and have allmost no nailbed.
I havend had one yet. But if i hade, i would sculp one with gel. Gel is more flexible then acrilics. Extend the nailbed a little bit more and sculp the white.

bubbles:)

Hi, Its an inherited condition, known as 'hammer thumbs', perhaps because they look as if they have been hit with a hammer!

The most common term for thumbs like this is "clubbed thumbs." There's actually quite a bit about it online, although most of it is simply "Wow, Megan Fox has clubbed thumbs." It's purely inherited, and not due to sucking thumbs as a child, any type of accident, or any disease. It is not really something that can be "fixed" without finding a willing cosmetic surgeon that has experience with hands, and keeping the hands bandaged and useless for a while afterward. Who would want to deal with that? Most people with clubbed thumbs have no problems dealing with everyday life, with the exception of never being able to find properly fitting gloves.

It occours in about 2% of the general population, in most races. And a lot of people with one or both clubbed thumbs are a bit self-conscious about it, so it's kind of sad that many people here have turned it into a big joke. Both of my own thumbs are clubbed. People making fun of clubbed thumbs are the reason you don't see them in nail salons that often. We don't like to pay for people to make fun of us, we generally get that for free elsewhere.

so it's kind of sad that many people here have turned it into a big joke. Both of my own thumbs are clubbed. People making fun of clubbed thumbs are the reason you don't see them in nail salons that often. We don't like to pay for people to make fun of us, we generally get that for free elsewhere.

Oh for goodness sake lighten up bit :hug: my thumb nails are so massive compared to the rest of my fingers , I can't get nails to fit them and have to have sculpts too, people comment on mine but I refuse to get upset about them , as there are more important things to worry about , I didnt take it as anyone making fun , I thought they were being rather helpful
I have two thumbs and thats what I think is important :hug: x minky

Last edited:
Goodness, what an old thread to be bringing up!!! xx

Oopsy :eek: I didn't realise it was an oldie , I guess I didn't notice as I was enjoying it so much :smack: , really good thread though lol x :)

My mother in law and sis in law both have this and only on one hand. they say they've been told its herreditory (sp?) but none of the grandchildren have had it although my sis in law had boys and they seem to think its the girls that get it in their family, could be coincidence. none of my children have it but then neither has their dad!:idea:

They are called Club Thumbs, there are a hereity, i have one client that has both thumbs,,, her story is that her parents each had one and that is how they met and feel in love, and then had a daughter and she had both... lucky her :) but I sculpt her thumbs, i find it hard to find tips that fit her properly, sometime they are wide enough, but they are too straight or too curved so I have to use 2 forms and cut them and piece them back together to make wider form to fit her, and it works great from me, it is best when they grow out and continue wrap them. Solid colours work best, unless you can campouflage the smile line, moving it lower to match the rest of the hand.

hey fellow geeks

my mum has a large fingers and bitten nails so she has swolen skin (bulbus - i cant spell it haha), i have trouble with tips fitting all of her nails, i usuall use clear velocity tips and overlay. I was taught on my first nail course to tailor the tips by cutting a small triangle in the well of the tip (you wont notice this once blended) it stops the bounce when the tip is a tad too small and makes it more flexible to fit and then apply l&p white overlay and they look fine although my smile lines are still not perfect. I haven't got a before of her nails though i must take one and post it on here next time i do a new set for her.

www.toethumb.com! website about it, if we're talking about the same thing. megan fox has thumbs like this. medical term is brachydactyly type d, also known as bdd.

Hi, Its inherited, and called Hammer thumbs, I don't know why, perhaps because they look as if they have been hit by a hammer!!

Latest posts

Back