Feel like giving it all up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaltash

Reaction score
Hi geeks,
I apologise in advance for this thread but I just need to get some advice for how I'm feeling at the minute.
My salon has been open for a year and right now, I feel totally disillusioned and fed up with the whole thing. I've been running it myself from the start and it's really beginning to get to me.
I've advertised for a part-timer, but having no luck - nobody seems to be interested and it's getting harder and harder to do this all by myself.
Business is ok. I've got just over 200 clients. I just dont know what is happening to me. It's like all my fight has gone. The past two weeks have been very quiet and sometimes I wonder if it's worth all the stress and worry. I love the job and the industry and I love my wee salon, but everything seems so jaded at the minute.
I'm sick of clients turning up late or not showing up at all I'm constantly worrying whether I'm good enough for the actual clients who I treat.
Sometimes I sit and think about the other salons in the town and how they are really busy and I'm sitting there twiddling my thumbs. Granted the other salons have been there longer and had time to get established, but I just want my wee place to be a success too. I feel like such a loser when business is slow and I know that this is very self-destructive.
I send out a newsletter to exisitng clients once a month and I do special offers once a month too. I'm starting to think that these are not a good idea as I may be doing myself out of monet, but it seems to bring the clients in. I havent done any external advertising in a long time as I just havent had the time as summer was so busy. But now that I do have the time, I just cant get motivated.
I dont know what's happening to me geeks. I feel so stressed and worried all the time. Occasionally I think it would be easier to give it all up and get a steady job with a wage and guaranteed holidays. But deep down I know I would hate that. I do want my salon to work, but at the minute I think I hate it a bit and I dont want to. Has anyone else ever felt like this? is it just a phase? I dont want to feel like this anymore. I really need your advice and insight, more than ever.
Sorry, I'm not ususally so incoherent and rambly, but I'm just typing how I'm feeling as it comes out.
Thanks geeks.xxx

Hi geeks,
I apologise in advance for this thread but I just need to get some advice for how I'm feeling at the minute.
My salon has been open for a year and right now, I feel totally disillusioned and fed up with the whole thing. I've been running it myself from the start and it's really beginning to get to me.
I've advertised for a part-timer, but having no luck - nobody seems to be interested and it's getting harder and harder to do this all by myself.
Business is ok. I've got just over 200 clients. I just dont know what is happening to me. It's like all my fight has gone. The past two weeks have been very quiet and sometimes I wonder if it's worth all the stress and worry. I love the job and the industry and I love my wee salon, but everything seems so jaded at the minute.
I'm sick of clients turning up late or not showing up at all I'm constantly worrying whether I'm good enough for the actual clients who I treat.
Sometimes I sit and think about the other salons in the town and how they are really busy and I'm sitting there twiddling my thumbs. Granted the other salons have been there longer and had time to get established, but I just want my wee place to be a success too. I feel like such a loser when business is slow and I know that this is very self-destructive.
I send out a newsletter to exisitng clients once a month and I do special offers once a month too. I'm starting to think that these are not a good idea as I may be doing myself out of monet, but it seems to bring the clients in. I havent done any external advertising in a long time as I just havent had the time as summer was so busy. But now that I do have the time, I just cant get motivated.
I dont know what's happening to me geeks. I feel so stressed and worried all the time. Occasionally I think it would be easier to give it all up and get a steady job with a wage and guaranteed holidays. But deep down I know I would hate that. I do want my salon to work, but at the minute I think I hate it a bit and I dont want to. Has anyone else ever felt like this? is it just a phase? I dont want to feel like this anymore. I really need your advice and insight, more than ever.
Sorry, I'm not ususally so incoherent and rambly, but I'm just typing how I'm feeling as it comes out.
Thanks geeks.xxx

Hi even though I am mobile I think the same as you sometimes untill my fella gives me a pep talk and sorts me out!
It's really hard and you have to keep going, that's what the other geeks have advised me on here when I have down days, and it keeps me going. Stick to what you love doing and work at it.
You say you do special offers every month?? I think that's way too much and I think you should only do offers every so often as people get soo used to them and won't pay full price next time as they rely on it.
Why don't you get some t shirts printed in big writing saying something like 10% discount, or wear your uniforms and hand out flyers in the town with the girls, Do pamper evenings with a free glass of wine, do a competition to a NEW customer in the local paper and she/he can win a free treatment worth £20 or something. You can also send out special offers to new customers who are the runners up in the competition. Advertise, advertise, advertise. People won't come to you unless they know you are there.

why not take a break? have a week off to recover, recoup and lick your wounds.

you will then come back revitalised and raring to go.

What I did pick up on your comments was "that you were sick of clients turning up late", have you let clients dicate to you? if a client turns up late how do you cope with the situation? Do you smile and say "not a problem" and give them a full treatment or do you let them know that being late is unacceptable and disrespectful?

If a client is late for me, they get what is left of their treatment time. No way am I penalising another client who has had the decency to turn up on time for someone's shoddy timekeeping. Believe me, once a client realises that they are shortchanging THEMSELVES, they soon stop.

Special offers are fine, but to be honest, my special offers are treatment combinations that aren't on the treatment menu NOT money off. I've tried offering treatments at a reduced rate and I get the same people coming JUST for those times, they wait until its reduced again before returning. Quite frankly I can do without those types.

You said that the other salons are really busy, have you got proof? Or are you imagining that they are busy.

so, have a duvet day, lick your wounds, eat chocolate, watch a chick flick and have some "me time".

then get back into your wee salon and KICK ASS!

I agree with hippy chick.

You just sound like you're a bit burnt out at the moment.

Why not have a week off to revive yourself. You're quiet at the moment so it won't be a big impact on the salon and it can do you the world of good.

Have a break, chill out and if you like, set yourself a few hours to sit down and have a look back at your salon. Maybe you need to impliment some rules, such as late clients only have the rest of their treatment time and no shows receive a 50% charge.

Lots of salons are quiet in October so don't feel like its just you.

Consider your strengths and play them up. A smaller salon can be cosier, more comfortable and more friendly than the bigger salons.

If you have a quiet day, you could send an email or text to your client base saying something like... "Sensational Nail Treats for today Only! Come in for a deluxe pedicure and receive a half price manicure. Call for an appointment on 01372 4******"

Then if you get even one reponse you'll be bringing in money that you wouldn't have otherwise.

Good luck sweetheart xxx

My love, every single one of us goes through this periodically. I have owned salons for a long time, and have gone through the difficulties you describe.
Salon ownership is hard, you have to be tough, self motivated and thick skinned. Nobody else will ever give you a pat on the back. However,
think back to when you set out, you aspired to be the salon owner that you are today.
There are countless people on here trying to figure out how to be you. Just as you are trying to figure out how to be a big salon owner like me. The answer is that it takes time, determination and the stamina of a pit pony.
You are already on the road, grit teeth and find those reserves of inner strenth that drove you into salon ownership.
My best wishes x

hi, I no exactly what u mean.

I have had my salon for nearly 2 years now, and even though its doing ok, i too get fed up of twiddling my thumbs when its quiet.

I started with all the motovation in the world, but then i seemed to keep getting knock backs and woundered if i was ever cut out for it.
I run it myself as there was no clients when I took it on. Within the first 12mths my partner lost his job and was unemployed for around 6 mths making it financially inpossible for me to carry on, but with a lot of struggle i carrid on just by scrapping by and using all my savings, then i found out i was expecting and that put a big cloud over the salon as to whether i could keep going or sell up.
I was determined to carry on, but every day i just thought 'can I be bothered'.
After I had my baby I had to close the salon for a couple of weeks until I felt well to go back, which made me resent the salon even more as I should of been home with my new baby.
When I went back too work, and my clients all returned to me, thats when I felt that i had really achieved something, and that has givern me the motivation too keep going.

I do think it would be easier to go back to being employed by some 1 else and having a regular wage coming in, but I dont think that u get the same job satisfaction than wot u do at the end of the day when u close ur salon doors, look back and no that ur standing on ur own 2 feet and making ur own futor, rather then plodding on in a job that u just feel like a number.

What I have started doing lately is every couple of weeks taking either a day or afternoon off, just to give myself a bit of a breather, without closing down and losing a weeks trade. Otherwise u get to a point where u realise that u have worked solid for 6 months and u r knackered.

Hope u feel more motervated soon, Just remember when a client comes back its not just to come back toi the salon, but its to come back because they like what u do.
Hope i didnt get to deep. lol
:)

Hi, it is tough but if you have the passion hang in there. Ive had my business for five years and can honestly say by year three I was finally making a good wage, the first two were rubbish!. Sorry to say it takes time, you need to recouperate your outgoings which when you first start is a lot, and build a loyal clientele.

Best way is word of mouth and a website. Please do not spend stupid amount on advertising. None of this happens over night!

Could you maybe contact your local college.
When i first opened my salon i went to my local college to see about getting staff.
The tutor at my college knew who still hadn't got jobs from the girls who had left the year before. It might be worth a try.
Maybe you could get someone who is on a course now to come in and help one day a week. You can get her to practice treatments on you and they will probably be grateful of the extra tuition. They will be used to working in a salon environment and they will know how you like to run your business so that when they are qualified they will be of more help. Or you could get somone who is doing their level 3 to come in as they will already be qualified and will have a couple of days free a week.
Have you got an 'A' board outside your shop?
They really do catch peoples attention. I had 3 walk ins the first day i put my board out.
A website is a must. Get yourself on as many free website listings as you can.
I have offers every month but i include free treatments such as 'book in for a facial and receive a free eyebrow and lash tint' or 'book in for a colour and get a free cut'. These treatments cost hardly anything but if you put these offers on your board and say how much they are saving then it catches peoples attention and everyone loves a bargain!
We all have quiet days. i had the day off today as i had no-one booked in so my girls opened up and closed up for me as they had clients. October is a bad month so take this month to have a couple of days off, recharge the batteries and get ready for the rush in the run up to xmas :)

Spot on sound advice from our geeks, I'll add just one more, half way through your week of do a one day course, if not something new then do a 121 half day, sitting with an expert is a great way to re awaken your fire.
This is the time of year to gather your energy ready for the party season, so what don't you offer that you'd like to? Or who would you like to train with who you haven't? And lastly where would you like to go to where you could chill out, or shop till you drop?
For me it would be easy, I'd have a few days in London, take in some shows, window shop at Harrods:lol: Then I'd go visit Kim Lawless and do another waxing course.
Or I'd go to Manchester, same as the London trip, I'm sure there is something like the Harrods experience in Manchester:green: and then I'd have a CND day.
Everyone has burn out times, just remember that saying, a change is as good as a rest, it's very true:hug:

Hey Tash,

As you can see - you're not alone!

We all feel like this at at times.

And you're doing the right things.

And if it helps then here's something I learned a long while ago.

The reason why most people don't get what they want is because they give up when the going gets too hard. it's just easier.

But, there's a weird side to that.

Had those people just pushed on a little further past the hard bit then more often than not the success they want is JUST past it...

It's kinda lifes weird way of saying 'you gotta go one step further than the rest luv'...

CHIN UP!

Keep going, and if you need inspiration and ideas on how to get more clients - the library is an AMAZING resource.

Brend x

Latest posts

Back