Feel like giving up rant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckismassage

Reaction score
After opening my home salon in September business has been dripping in.... I have 1 sometimes 2 clients a week with some/most weeks empty.
Then I see most of my "friends" going to a cheap lady round the corner that isn't registered, uses ebay stuff and their nails fall off but they go back! I'm in losses of quite alot for these few months iv been open, I have regulars but no one recommends me or even reviews me even though I offer recommend a friend. Iv tried discounts and promotions but no one is taking me up on them. I just feel like iv wasted so much time and money on promoting and insurances for nothing.
Think I needed to rant more than anything lol

I'm assuming you opened September 2016? That is only 4 months you can't give up so soon.

I have a home salon and I love it. The first year I hardly had any clients at all but spent my hours posting leaflets in all the roads in my area and designing a website, social media, free page listings like yell, google page etc. The second year picked up massively and when it was quiet I booked additional training courses which I couldn't afford but they kept me motivated.
My third year was where I saw my hard work paying off and finally making a profit!!!!
I'm still not fully booked but I'm almost there.

My friends and family were not supportive, in fact they thought it was a stupid idea that I'd spent money converting my dining room into a salon. I had a little opening party which no one turned up to, except my son because well he lives here!

My family and friends who didn't support me at the beginning are only just now becoming my clients and are only just starting to support me by liking and sharing my social media things.

It takes time, don't give up! X

Echoing what cupcake said, don't give up yet! It definitely takes time to see any pay off, and it's unlikely that you'll see any since September last year. It can take a good few years.
I've been working from home properly since April/May 2015, and only now am beginning to see progress. I'm still not fully booked on a regular basis though.
It definitely can be so disheartening, but if you really advertise (and I've found Facebook the best for me), you will see your hard work paying off. Advertising, alongside a great, professional job, will pay off in the end.
Be patient and don't give up! Xx

I can only echo what the others have said. It's hard work, very hard work but it does pay off.

If you're not with clients then deliver leaflets, improve your website, get 'friendly' with other like minded businesses online and support each other.

The hard work does pay off if you really work at it. Difficult at times but eventually it should lead to a full diary of clients who are perfect for you. Good luck and keep at it!

Oh yes I know it takes time. I was mobile for 3 years about 2 yrs ago but had to stop due to being pregnant. But in those 2 years dispite all my efforts I only ever had 2 clients and an odd 1 here or there. I'm using our spare room at the moment but ideally would need to convert garage very soon as need the room for my youngest child but my main regulars are moving away this year too far to come to me and I just keep thinking what's the point. Iv been paying so much to Facebook for promoting my ads and have got nothing back. My massage licence is due for renewal in march but after paying out over 100 for it in Sept I cannot renew this year as I just don't have the funds now, so I have to remove them from my treatment menu. Iv read thru the post about promoting and done most of them but none have worked so far.
I think that maybe it's over saturated here with cheap therapists and I have been told my prices are way too high for what people here want to pay.

I've been doing it for about 10 months and found it slow to start with but I was rammed in Dec & Jan has been the same - today's my first day with no clients - don't get me wrong I don't do 12 hour days but certainly enough for now - all my business has been word of mouth only. By using good quality products & working ethically - trouble shooting etc clients will appreciate your worth, anyone can use cheapo crap off eBay but the clients are savvy nowadays and appreciate quality so even if your making a loss ( which is natural in the first couple of years) keep at it - I'm no expert but things really do take time - know your worth xx

Hi there, I have a lot of experience when it comes to advertising a small business. Me and my husband own a cafe so it's completely different business but I think some principles can be applied to a home salon. First of all I found that boosting a post can be a bit of waste of money. If we pay for advertisement on facebook we do it for a specific area (within 3 miles of our shop), I thinkpeople don't really want to try anything new if it requires a long drive there. Try to stick to free advertising anyway- join local buy and sell groups on facebook. When you post on your facebook you can share your post to those groups for free. The best pictures to use for advertising are those of your work ( in our case our food, for you the best would be taking pictures of before and after of your clients nails etc.). Posting pictures of your logo as advertising picture will be useless as people want to see what you actually can do for them. If you don't have any customers always make sure that you post regularly new pictures, do your own nails and take a picture of them. We found as well that doing giveaways draws a really big attention to our page and straight after having it we get a mad rush of new customers in our shop. Could you maybe for a while run a giveaway once a week? Give away for example a free manicure and gellish painting- ask people to like post, share it and tag as many friend as they like (each tag counts as entry). This way you not only get a lot of people being tagged on your page and being made aware of your business but at the end you get a winner that can potentially become a regular. This is much cheaper way of advertising on facebook- it only cost you a bit in your materials and a bit of your time plus it's the most effective way we found so far. Let me know what is you page called on facebook I can have a look and then let you know what can be improved. Xxx

I am also struggling May will be my year anniversary of opening im lucky to get one client a week i advertise on local facebook groups (not too much you look desperate but enough to become a name they recognise, ive dobe give aways, offers, attend local events, offer gift vouchers to events, leaflets in shops, yell, netmums all free listing sites on the internet i have a shpock advert & facebook market place but none of this has dobe enough for me so ive spent the last week trolling the internet forums Pinterest facebook you name it! But new ideas i have found are
Find local spas, hairdressers, hotels, health suites, gyms see if you can hold pop up events eg back to back tanning party, nail party reduced rate back to back appointments booked in advance, if not can you put any leflets in there
Recommend a friend scheme but make them earn it only give it to customers once there with you get cards write the customer name on when you get that card back the new client gets X% off & then your client that made the referral gets discount too
Loyalty card - gain make them earn it give it to them after 2nd treatment dont give anything away free but give them extra tine on a treatment or money off
Run a survey see what people want near you, why they choose there therapist what attracts them to try somewhere new ect
Get a # for your client ps to use to share you on social media
Give clients extra behind the scenes your fav product fav treatment write up ect

Who is your ideal client - age gender job ect ect this is your ideally client not the only client you will accept then make an offer your ideal client cant refuse

Have offers set up for events eg easter hoilday season back to school xmas new year ect ect dont become the offer lady though you want to attract new clients but dont want to attract people that are only coming to you for an offer so your £20 but as soon as someone comes up for £19 there gone so make offers good but nit too much!
Always have cards on you if anyone asks hand them one
Wear your uniform out so people can ask
Leave your cards wherever you go shops play centres doctors ect
Always look busy try new designs pratice techniques always add pictures on social media
Have a website and update it regularly
Re booking discount to encourage people to re book but they only get it if they re book there & then
Text message reminders for appts
Drop leaflets locally make a list if local roads or villages get your cards through there doors sundays are goid as it wont get mixed up with other post & everyones home to see them
Offer parties group bookings host goes free
Wedding fairs
Posters for shop windows
Find local events to attend
Gift vouchers
Get a mothers day offer up - box if chocs with any treatment for a mum?
Get ready promoting for easter & hoilday season

This thread just made me feel at peace. It great to know that we are NOT alone. Everyone has struggles you just don't see them. I use to wonder when I first started and still kinda wonder why people go to a salon and not have someone in their home CRAZY?!

Ill let you know how new things go lol if not ill have starved as no money coming in [emoji23]

I feel exactly the same and also family not very supportive. But I am determined to not give up and really push 2017. All the hard work will pay off just keep at it look into new courses maybe see what else you can add. I hope everyone that is struggling like myself will make it. Good luck everyone stay positive [emoji3][emoji111]️

I think it's really hard getting a home based salon started from scratch, could you rent space a couple of half days a week in a mixed salon, to get yourself known? Get a part time job to keep yourself in 'the mood', when you do get new clients you need to be upbeat, chatty and positive, really hard when it's all such hard work.

All self employed therapists, know how much hard work has gone into making a living. Do you have a professional website? It's not just about what the website looks like, a website designer puts stuff in the background, which makes you more findable, I don't pay for any boosters on Google, but I'm on the first page and get several enquiries a month from the website.

Rather than compete with the cheap unregistered competition, what can you do that they don't? Special brows? Fancy nail art? Brazilian[emoji33], sugaring, threading, have a USP and start from there, your best advert is your clients, happy clients bring new business, for free.

I place an advert monthly in a local magazine, delivered to houses in my area, is there anything like that in your area? They also gave me an editorial write up, which was useful.

Do you have a school near you, that would like a gift voucher prize at the school fair?

Good luck, stay positive [emoji41]

I think it's really hard getting a home based salon started from scratch, could you rent space a couple of half days a week in a mixed salon, to get yourself known? Get a part time job to keep yourself in 'the mood', when you do get new clients you need to be upbeat, chatty and positive, really hard when it's all such hard work.

All self employed therapists, know how much hard work has gone into making a living. Do you have a professional website? It's not just about what the website looks like, a website designer puts stuff in the background, which makes you more findable, I don't pay for any boosters on Google, but I'm on the first page and get several enquiries a month from the website.

Rather than compete with the cheap unregistered competition, what can you do that they don't? Special brows? Fancy nail art? Brazilian[emoji33], sugaring, threading, have a USP and start from there, your best advert is your clients, happy clients bring new business, for free.

I place an advert monthly in a local magazine, delivered to houses in my area, is there anything like that in your area? They also gave me an editorial write up, which was useful.

Do you have a school near you, that would like a gift voucher prize at the school fair?

Good luck, stay positive [emoji41]

Ive just requested to go in our local book & they have offered me a write up its £60 plus VAT a month for 6 months for 1/4 of a page for 2 adds (me & hubby are self employed so both going in) do you find it works dont want to spend money if usless but im so tempted to try

Ive just requested to go in our local book & they have offered me a write up its £60 plus VAT a month for 6 months for 1/4 of a page for 2 adds (me & hubby are self employed so both going in) do you find it works dont want to spend money if usless but im so tempted to try
I never found those local books any use personally. Have you ever used a service from one? Ever seen one? Know anyone who gets it and looks in it?

I can think of far better ways to spend that money.

I never found those local books any use personally. Have you ever used a service from one? Ever seen one? Know anyone who gets it and looks in it? I can think of far better ways to spend that money.

Generally, I'd agree with you but it depends where you are based. When I lived in a small village in the U.K., the little local directory was very well received and I definitely used it to locate good local builders, plumbers etc. I think if you live in a good sized town, they're less relevant.

Where I live now, all the tradespeople I have employed have been through word of mouth, and I've not been disappointed. I can honestly say that the local builders, plumbers, electricians we've used have been the best ever! Not the cheapest, but I'm paying for quality and reliability.

I live in quite a small village yes i do look in them more because im nosey lol but i do look through

It has really worked for me, but every magazine is different, if it's the sort of magazine you would look in, to find a tradesmen, then it's worth it. I get at least 3 enquiries a month from my advert. If they become regular clients who introduce a friend, 6 months is paid for easily! Be sure it's distributed where you would expect clients to come from, can u write 6 different adverst? Try 6 different treatments/offers hands, feet, massage, facial, waxing, brows, 10%, buy 2 get 1 free, use a picture.

It has really worked for me, but every magazine is different, if it's the sort of magazine you would look in, to find a tradesmen, then it's worth it. I get at least 3 enquiries a month from my advert. If they become regular clients who introduce a friend, 6 months is paid for easily! Be sure it's distributed where you would expect clients to come from, can u write 6 different adverst? Try 6 different treatments/offers hands, feet, massage, facial, waxing, brows, 10%, buy 2 get 1 free, use a picture.
Im not sure i will ask its a mum up at our school so i will ask her thank you for your help

Hiya just to update you all. Iv tried to hard with offers, promoting etc but now my 3 regulars are moving areas, changing jobs etc so I have no bookings since February so iv now got myself a part time job instead of doing beauty at home, the room is being wasted just sitting there for my work which I'm not getting. Such a shame as I put so much money into it but it just isn't working atm. Going to keep doing it in evenings in my dining room instead n see how I go from there

Latest posts

Back