Festive working hours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If she is self employed, she can work whenever she pleases. If she agreed to closing you could not charge her for that week.

Thanks for your reply,
So would you give a self employed member of staff a key to your salon?

Is this a legal requirement or opinion?
The reason I ask is that she had a key but I had to take it away as I found out she was extending her working day cramming people in from 7am - 11pm just so she only paid one day rate.
When I was self employed I wasn't a key holder x

Quoting above: "Thanks for your reply,
So would you give a self employed member of staff a key to your salon?"

Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this but yes, I always gave each member of staff a key to the back door of the salon - employed or renting a treatment room. That way if someone is off ill or running late they could always get in to open up and start their clients.
With the self-employed people i had, their rent was negotiated and fixed (half or whole days). I had no problem with if they wanted to start at 7 am and finish at 9 pm. I costed this into the rent on that assumption. My nail tech, for example had an hour's drive to get to me so of course she wanted to do as many clients as possible in one day.
My feeling was that if they were getting so busy that they were doing long hours, the chances were that they would take on further sessions to rent off me.

ps
My salon was open 09.00 to 21.00 Monday to Friday & Saturday mornings as our regular hours.

Last edited:
Re - the festive working hours...

I never work Christmas eve. If they can't get themselves sorted by then it's just poor organisation on their part!
This year I'm finishing at 5 pm on the Friday after a week of 08.30 - 9 pm.
In between Christmas & New Year, I just do one day - and that will probably only be half full.
After all, if I do their nails the week running up to Christmas, then they are fine until January.
:)

Quoting above: "Thanks for your reply,
So would you give a self employed member of staff a key to your salon?"

Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this but yes, I always gave each member of staff a key to the back door of the salon - employed or renting a treatment room. That way if someone is off ill or running late they could always get in to open up and start their clients.
With the self-employed people i had, their rent was negotiated and fixed (half or whole days). I had no problem with if they wanted to start at 7 am and finish at 9 pm. I costed this into the rent on that assumption. My nail tech, for example had an hour's drive to get to me so of course she wanted to do as many clients as possible in one day.
My feeling was that if they were getting so busy that they were doing long hours, the chances were that they would take on further sessions to rent off me.

ps
My salon was open 09.00 to 21.00 Monday to Friday & Saturday mornings as our regular hours.

Just playing devils advocate, I wonder how that would affect your insurance because as they aren’t employees they shouldn’t have keys. Even most employees wouldn’t have keys full time.

I really don’t know the answer but was just wondering. I know insurance companies will look for any loophole to get out of paying out.

Just playing devils advocate, I wonder how that would affect your insurance because as they aren’t employees they shouldn’t have keys. Even most employees wouldn’t have keys full time.

I really don’t know the answer but was just wondering. I know insurance companies will look for any loophole to get out of paying out.

Well, this was over 15 years ago and not a question my insurers at the time specifically asked about as far as I can remember.
Things may well be different now of course.

So currently then, if employees can't have a key - who opens up the salon when you are on a day off / late shift / holiday - or do you have to notify the insurance company and nominate someone ?

I have always been a key holder wherever I've rented. As the law says, self employed can work whatever hours they like, so how could I get in otherwise? Charge by the month if it bothers you that she works long hours.

Ive always had keys to the salons Ive rented too! I work loong hours & seeing the last client out, restocking & cleaning & then leaving by the time the shop shuts wouldnt be an option for me unfortunatly.

If I was told to close my busniess for a week over my busiest time it just wouldn't work. Xx

Ive always had keys to the salons Ive rented too! I work loong hours & seeing the last client out, restocking & cleaning & then leaving by the time the shop shuts wouldnt be an option for me unfortunatly.

If I was told to close my busniess for a week over my busiest time it just wouldn't work. Xx

So is your busiest time in between Xmas and new year? X

Well, this was over 15 years ago and not a question my insurers at the time specifically asked about as far as I can remember.

So currently then, if employees can't have a key - who opens up the salon when you are on a day off / late shift / holiday - or do you have to notify the insurance company and nominate someone ?

If I am not in the business then my other full time member of staff is. There is always one of us.

So in my opinion my self employed tech doesn't actually need one, as she will never be the only one on the premises. I also wondered about insurance ....I can imagine they would try anything eh!

When you think about it, by working an extra 4 hours per day than my opening times she is costing me more money for utilities ect so should be paying a higher rent surely?

I am open a late night on 2 out of 3 of her working days (9pm) and early morning (8am) on the other....personally I feel this is sufficient x

Yeah, I completely agree it makes sense. Was just curious :)

If I am not in the business then my other full time member of staff is. There is always one of us.

So in my opinion my self employed tech doesn't actually need one, as she will never be the only one on the premises. I also wondered about insurance ....I can imagine they would try anything eh!

When you think about it, by working an extra 4 hours per day than my opening times she is costing me more money for utilities ect so should be paying a higher rent surely?

I am open a late night on 2 out of 3 of her working days (9pm) and early morning (8am) on the other....personally I feel this is sufficient x
You are charging a day rate. You can’t stipulate the hours they do unless it voids your insurance (after 8pm I was gold and my previous salon. Where I used to rent we were allowed to be there between 7am -8pm. As she is self employed you shouldnt be telling Your tech what nights you are open late, it should be up to her. I used to pay £75 for a day in Essex.

Latest posts

Back