Fibromyalgia

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachelizabeth

Reaction score
Anyone else here suffer with fibromyalgia? I find most people don't even know what it is let alone understand.

How do you cope with it? My GP told me I need to adopt the 'pacing' lifestyle more, where I do the same amount of activity everyday. But as most of you may know this is incredibly difficult in the beauty industry! I really want an employee to help out but I'm not busy enough yet.

What kind of exercise do you do? Diet? Pain management? Would be nice to speak to someone going through the same thing :)

Hi, I can't be lots of help I'm afraid but felt I should reply for some reason! My mother in law has a mild form of fibromyalgia and my sons best friends mum (jo) suffers severely.

Jo used to work three jobs before she became ill one of which was a hairdresser, and now she literally can't lift her own arms most days. She suffers from constant aches/severe pain in her entire body, she can't sleep due to this pain, she has migraines...the list is endless. My heart absolutely breaks for her.

All she can do is manage her pain with medication, she used to go for acupuncture which she highly recommends however it was very costly and she couldn't continue for long after quitting work due to financial restraints. I'll speak to her over the weekend and see if there is anything else she can recommend.

I don't know if you are aware (or Whether you already claim) but did you know you can claim Personal Independence Payment for your disability whilst you are working. I helped jo fill her forms in. It's not income based so there is no cut off point if you earn so much. It's based on how your disability affects you on a day to day basis. I just thought it might be useful as although you say you're not that busy maybe the money would enable you to pay someone wages from the business and this would enable you to maybe have a day or two a week off or close up for a day so you can rest. Just a thought x sorry got a bit carried away with myself there! Hope it helps somewhat xx

Hi, I can't be lots of help I'm afraid but felt I should reply for some reason! My mother in law has a mild form of fibromyalgia and my sons best friends mum (jo) suffers severely.

Jo used to work three jobs before she became ill one of which was a hairdresser, and now she literally can't lift her own arms most days. She suffers from constant aches/severe pain in her entire body, she can't sleep due to this pain, she has migraines...the list is endless. My heart absolutely breaks for her.

All she can do is manage her pain with medication, she used to go for acupuncture which she highly recommends however it was very costly and she couldn't continue for long after quitting work due to financial restraints. I'll speak to her over the weekend and see if there is anything else she can recommend.

I don't know if you are aware (or Whether you already claim) but did you know you can claim Personal Independence Payment for your disability whilst you are working. I helped jo fill her forms in. It's not income based so there is no cut off point if you earn so much. It's based on how your disability affects you on a day to day basis. I just thought it might be useful as although you say you're not that busy maybe the money would enable you to pay someone wages from the business and this would enable you to maybe have a day or two a week off or close up for a day so you can rest. Just a thought x sorry got a bit carried away with myself there! Hope it helps somewhat xx

This was a really helpful reply thank you :) I don't claim anything at the moment, and didn't realise there was a possibility that I maybe could! I will definitely look into it.

My little salon is doing well and I have regular clients, it's great for someone working on their own but I need to be careful on the busy days as I can overdo it easily! The last time I worked too much was a few weeks ago, I ended up getting a bad migraine episode whilst I was doing a Shellac I felt so embarrassed but I couldn't see anything, just stars/bright lights! Luckily it was a regular client and she gets migraines too so she understands, and by some miracle I managed to finish the Shellac to a decent standard. Definitely need to pace myself xx

Me i suffer i have good days & bad days n struggle but i need the money so carry on in pain i could scream & cry with xx

Hiya I'm glad you found my post helpful. You should look into PIP it's definitely worth considering.

All in it takes about approx 6 months to complete a claim and usually includes a medical you should send as much info from your gp as possible, prescriptions, letter from someone who helps you out etc. Any info supplied supports your claim there is a useful website that will really help filling the forms in I will have a look and post some links up for you.

Initially you ring a number and they send you a claim form in the post which you have 30 days to fill in and return. If you want to pm me when you receive the form is be happy to help you with it as I have helped jo, my mother in law, father in law and brother in law so pretty much know the drill now lol

Abi Smith, you should also consider PIP. if it enable you to rest when you need to and keep your businesses running then brill!! Xx

My mother has it. Unfortunately it's one of those things that flies under the radar. Kuddos to you for sticking to the industry with it. She told me cold and flu tablets help her. I dont know the sciences behind it but maybe ask your doctor about it?

My mother has it. Unfortunately it's one of those things that flies under the radar. Kuddos to you for sticking to the industry with it. She told me cold and flu tablets help her. I dont know the sciences behind it but maybe ask your doctor about it?

I can see why they would, since one of the symptoms of flu is aches and pains. Also since I cut dairy out the pains in my legs have almost vanished... still get problems with my knees and ankles but nothing compared to what it was!

Anyone else here suffer with fibromyalgia? I find most people don't even know what it is let alone understand.

How do you cope with it? My GP told me I need to adopt the 'pacing' lifestyle more, where I do the same amount of activity everyday. But as most of you may know this is incredibly difficult in the beauty industry! I really want an employee to help out but I'm not busy enough yet.

What kind of exercise do you do? Diet? Pain management? Would be nice to speak to someone going through the same thing :)
I suffer with fibromyalgia and can honesty say the only thing helped and still continues to help is learning how to relax, I never really saw myself as a person who was unable to relax as i thought that sitting on the sofa watching TV was enough, however after starting yoga classes and doing mediation at home a few times a week i understand now the real meaning of relation and tranquillity it has literally changed my life! i still get issues with the pain from time to time however i would massively recommend looking into self calming techniques such as breathing and mediation which clears the mind and therefore prevents the painful effects of fibromyalgia, i just stick my headphones in with some zen music and lie still and breath deeply for 30mins when feeling stressed and it works like a dream.
hope this helps :)

I suffer with fibromyalgia and can honesty say the only thing helped and still continues to help is learning how to relax, I never really saw myself as a person who was unable to relax as i thought that sitting on the sofa watching TV was enough, however after starting yoga classes and doing mediation at home a few times a week i understand now the real meaning of relation and tranquillity it has literally changed my life! i still get issues with the pain from time to time however i would massively recommend looking into self calming techniques such as breathing and mediation which clears the mind and therefore prevents the painful effects of fibromyalgia, i just stick my headphones in with some zen music and lie still and breath deeply for 30mins when feeling stressed and it works like a dream.
hope this helps :)

Thank you this really does help and make sense. I've actually started to notice that I am really tense, even my legs are when I'm sat down. I think I'm just used to feeling like that now so I don't realise I'm doing it, will look into that :)

Reiki. It helps.

Latest posts

Back