Filbert Nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retired

Reaction score
Well first of all I will bore you with the background! My mother used to tell me when I was young, that I had inherited her nail shape of "Filbert" nails. I used to think she didn't know what she was talking about and dismissed it. Sadly, I lost my mum this year at almost 100 years of age!! :cry: But ....off I went to college to train to be a nail tech. When the tutor was describing the 4 or 5 basic nail shapes, she said there was one other most desirable shape and that someone in the class had them. They were called Filbert nails!! I think you've guessed it. It was me!! I was sooooo embarrassed but quite chuffed really that my mum did know after all. My tutor also said that she had not seen a full set in almost 10 years.

Has anyone ever heard of them and are they very common? I'd be interested to know. Apparently they are so-called after the Filbert nut which I think originates in Asia.

Love to hear from you. :hug: Sorry to drag this out!!

My Mum too has these nails, which she inherited from her Father. I have really envied her all my life.

Mum is now 79 her nails are not as strong as they used to be, so she asked for overlays. I find them extremely difficult, because they have a natural apex and adding anything to this area makes them look ridiculous.

How do you cope with them ?

My Mum too has these nails, which she inherited from her Father. I have really envied her all my life.

Mum is now 79 her nails are not as strong as they used to be, so she asked for overlays. I find them extremely difficult, because they have a natural apex and adding anything to this area makes them look ridiculous.

I agree, they are quite difficult to enhance because of the deep side walls and that upper arch which makes it hard to bring out a natural free edge....hey Retired your mum sounds like she was such a character!

I agree, they are quite difficult to enhance because of the deep side walls and that upper arch which makes it hard to bring out a natural free edge....hey Retired your mum sounds like she was such a character!

Hi Cathie,

You're early tonight! lol! Yep, Mum was just so funny and I think that's what made her live so long - a fantastic sense of humour.

Hope business is blooming. :hug:

Yeah, my mum inherited them from her father, too. Cope? Well I've always painted them and they are usually strong and long, but you'd have to ask Cathie if they are difficult 'cos I've just had a set of sculpts on after having them ruined at college! Grrrrrr!

:hug:

My mum's nails are also like this . . . a nice strong shape on their own, these days they are a bit prone to flaking; I do an l&p nno on her, but I don't build the apex up much at all, they are still v. strong tho

My friend who was a biter until I nagged her for ages has these nails too. I painted then for her last Saturday and she asked me about enhancements, but I said no need your nails are an ace shape and strong, lucky girl :)

Can someone post a pic of these filbert nails??!! :lol:

DSC00258.jpg

These are my mum's nails which I understand are a filbert shape, I don't know how to resize sorry :o

My friend has this type of nails too, I didn't realise there was name for them though :o
I've never enhanced them (they don't need it), they're extremely strong and a joy to manicure.

Attachments

• Manicure.Anne.JPG
    Manicure.Anne.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,985
They also usually have a definate 'solehorn' too. Either on every nail or sometimes just on the forefinger.

One of my clients that I have recently inherited from another salon also has these nails. I had no idea that there was a special name for them but I had told her that they were very desirable and that they were the shape we always try to achieve with l&p!

Wow you learn something new every day!! :lol: My Gran has this shaped nail, didn't know there was name for the shape either!! They are a pain to enhance though as they do have their own arch & so can look to bulky/not exactly the right shape, so have to make sure not too much product is applied!! :)

I inherited my dads filbert nails and if I leave them alone they have a really nice shape of their own, but dammit I cant, I like em long and dangerous:)

I inherited my dads filbert nails and if I leave them alone they have a really nice shape of their own, but dammit I cant, I like em long and dangerous:)

Do you wear yours enhanced then Jac? If I am right these nails have quite an extreme natural arch to them - so how do you get around this if you want to enhance them longer?

Do you wear yours enhanced then Jac? If I am right these nails have quite an extreme natural arch to them - so how do you get around this if you want to enhance them longer?

Whether this is right or wrong I don't know, but on my client I have just kept the product very thin over the natural arch, and slightly thicker at the free edge.

When she first came to me she already had L&P from another salon and it quite threw me as I was filing for the reballance when I realised that it wasn't product but her natural shape!:o Thank goodness I realised quickly and didnt file her nail!:Scared:

My Mum had these nails too, and she always kept them with about 1/2 cm of free edge and they always looked so fab.
When I was small I used to love putting my finger under the thumb free edge and feeling the shape!
No one has inherited these nails from her yet, maybe my granchildren might.:)

I think I may have these shaped nails, I'd love to post a pic for you to see! Can I post a pic if I'm not a premmie geek anymore?? x

I think I may have these shaped nails, I'd love to post a pic for you to see! Can I post a pic if I'm not a premmie geek anymore?? x

Yep, I'm not a premium geek and I posted one :)

Oooh such nails usually have beautiful nail beds, but their naturally high arch is pretty challenging, I agree! For me, I make the enhancements long, so that the apex is located further away from the high point of the "nail bed area", allowing me to keep product at the high point of the nail pretty thin :)

Latest posts

Back