finding a job when i have zero salon experience!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessiecakes7

Reaction score
Hello! I'm jessica I'm 24 years old and I've loved doing hair and makeup since I was little. My sisters were my guinea pigs. I got my license after I turned 21 but I have no salon experience because I'm from a small town and had some unpleasant experiences with some salons from my home town. I recently moved to the beach with my husband and have applied to about 30 salons in the area. I had some interviews but I haven't been hired. I'm always polite and outgoing but I'm worried that no one will hire me because I've had my license for so long and have no experience! I've been doing friends and families hair since school so I have personal experience but not salon experience. However I'm looking for a postion as an assistant or even a receptionist just to get my foot in the door. I'm meeting with the owner of a salon on Monday at a class they are having. Do you think my chances are slim of getting hired because of my inexperience. I'm very motivated but the last couple yrs were rough my fiancee lost his job and I picked up extra shifts at my job to pay bills and plan a wedding and also had a few health issues. I'm just hoping that people can look passed all that so wish me luck and any tips you have would be greatly appreciated!

Just tell them how passionate you are about it! Say that you understand you will have to start from the very beginning and your willing to take a small wage to start with. Good luck!x

i managed to get my first job with no experience via twitter! i just followed a few salons on there. as soon as a job popped up i applied! i was taken on as a stylist in training (even though none of my clients kenw this!) be careful though as some people will try not to pay you miniumn wage or take advantage of your willingness to learn and gain experience. however i have put up with this myself for ten months and now have the experience to move on!

remember push your positives and capabilities.
express all your passion.
and just be yourself!

If you have personal experience maybe you could start to put together a little portfolio. The next time you cut your sisters' hair, be sure to snap some before and afters. Its worth a shot. You could even upload them onto your twitter or facebook page like a public, permanent resume.
Good luck

Thanks so much guys!:biggrin:

I had that exact problem when I first qualified i went to work in a salon where the guy said i needed extra training (as I used different techniques from him).

He wanted to teach me his way of doin things and I was to bring models in and work for free although if a client came in he'd charge them like £20 for a cut and style dry with me - and it would go straight in his till! He kept telling me at the end of every week to bring more models, and it got to about 8 weeks in of me paying travel to get there etc so I told him I wasn't coming back.

I did appreciate his education but he wasn't even paying his bills in the salon which I think was struggling as wasn't as busy as the one I trained in! I think he was using me to fill it up and make it busier looking and he wanted me out on the local area bringing new folk in for me to 'train'.

Some folk are crafty - and think they can get away with telling you you're not good enough. Every hairdresser is always learning and I trained and worked on the floor of the biggest and best salon chain in Scotland - so my training was very prestigious but he didn't seem to care - he was using me to his benefit only which wasn't fair when I was paying for it!

Keep searching and good luck, I think the twitter idea is fab! x

It may not be ideal but my hairdresser had the same problem bless her she's so sweet and lovely she said to get a job in where she works now, she went around a few different places asking if she could do some unpaided work expearnce for a week or 2week and after the 2nd week he offered her a job! He said he liked that he could train her the way he would like, with no bad habbits etc. This may be a bit unsafe way of doing, as in not getting a job out of it. However you can then put it down as experance and it shows you really want it to other salons! :) good luck with everything xx

It may not be ideal but my hairdresser had the same problem bless her she's so sweet and lovely she said to get a job in where she works now, she went around a few different places asking if she could do some unpaided work expearnce for a week or 2week and after the 2nd week he offered her a job! He said he liked that he could train her the way he would like, with no bad habbits etc. This may be a bit unsafe way of doing, as in not getting a job out of it. However you can then put it down as experance and it shows you really want it to other salons! :) good luck with everything xx

I think there are some genuine employers out there just looking to give a bit of extra techniques to new employees and 2 weeks is a reasonable amount of time to ask someone to come in.

My previous 'employer' was pushing 8 and treating me like an assistant asking me to get his dryer and products etc and made me stand and watch EVERY client he did before going off for a half day - when I had models coming in then would complain he never saw any of my work! Haha he was some guy! But I doubt there as many chancers as him out there - most employers just want good stylists! Which is fair!

You will find a job. Don't give up. Never give up! Keep on applying and think about what can you do to increase your chances...try and sneak a 1 day course on your CV, or another job experience (such as retail, and proove that you're good with customers and selling products). Do a first aid course, or voluntary hairdressing work. Don't waste your time meanwhile you find something!!
Go home, re-open the books and study, apply online, ask friends, ask friends about their haidresser's. Step in the salon and ask to see the manager. Dress smart, be smart and don't mention financial/health and etc problems. You will find something! you just need to keep on going and don't give up the faith!

ps. the idea with twitter is fab! try facebook as well
and the photos portofolio.
I would add....ask to offer a free day trial and bring some models in to show your skills.

Good luck and keep up posted!x

Latest posts

Back