Flush to cuticle?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heidileann

Reaction score
What do you guys use? Hand file or a specific bit?

Always hand, I don't use electric files. I wouldn't have thought it was advisable to use a drill near/on the cuticle anyway even if you use it for shaping the acrylic nail

I use a hand file just now although I'm booked on an efile training course this week and I've already bought my kit including a safety bit.

Hi sorry to change the subject a bit here but how long does it take you to do a set of nails when you are filing by hand? Thanks

Hi sorry to change the subject a bit here but how long does it take you to do a set of nails when you are filing by hand? Thanks

About 1hr 20

Wow still takes me 2 hours (at least) how long did it take you to get down to that timing?

Not sure but I've been doing nails 12 years lol

I use a hand file just now although I'm booked on an efile training course this week and I've already bought my kit including a safety bit.
Who are you doing your training with? I looked into this about 6 years ago and couldn't find anywhere that offered it so didn't bother in the end!

Your stepping over the other side

New Wow still takes me 2 hours (at least) how long did it take you to get down to that timing?
If you use your brush to shape and smooth the nail on application then it leaves very little filing to be done. For rebalancing, ensuring that initial application is good so there is no lifting again means minimal filing. I can sculpt a single colour new set in 1hr 20 and rebalance in an hour.

If you use your brush to shape and smooth the nail on application then it leaves very little filing to be done. For rebalancing, ensuring that initial application is good so there is no lifting again means minimal filing. I can sculpt a single colour new set in 1hr 20 and rebalance in an hour.

Sorry - just to jump on this thread.
When you are rebalancing do you file so it looks as though there is no join? I struggle to get it to look hidden without filing the natural nail slightly so I end up with a line where the original gel was? Does that make sense?
Is it all about handling the file correctly? I was thinking about doing an e-file course just for infills to sort this issue.

The only time there's usually a problem with lines is if there's been lifting. Thankfully most (but not all) of my clients are good with following aftercare including applying solar oil so I don't see a huge amount of lifting. But when I do, you remove the lifted area by filing behind the line, on the product which is still well attached and then it should blend nicely into the nail plate again.

That's a technique that needs to be learnt whether hand filing or using an efile because at the end of the day regardless what method we use we still don't want to over file the natural nail.

To be fair it's all practice. I used to hate rebalances but then one day it just all seemed to click and now it works!

Ok brill! Yeah I always try and blend to nothing but I see what you mean about filing behind the lifting. Makes sense thanks.
I hate them as well, I'll keep going. Thanks for your help :D

Yeah I've finally got my application right so I don't spend a huge amount of time filing. I think I'm just a bit slow still. If I can eventually get it down to 1.5 hours I'll be happy :)

I book out 1hr 5 minutes but usually manage with just the hour, you'll get your time down with practice.

I hand file, getting the acrylic flush should mainly be done with your brush, not the file. :)

Not sure but I've been doing nails 12 years lol
I'd like to correct this statement!

It depends on the shape. I did some stilettos today which took another 20 mins on top - the shorter time would be for round/square

I haven't done a simple square for so long! It's always almond stilettos or coffin

I haven't done a simple square for so long! It's always almond stilettos or coffin

Ballerina, please, not coffin [emoji2] sounds a tad nicer lol

[emoji653]️is that a ballerina emoji lol

Latest posts

Back