Free edge is separating from Brisa gel nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahRose

Reaction score
I will apologize in advance if there is a thread somewhere about this already, but I couldn't find what I was looking for so here goes...

I just recently decided to offer enhancements again. I had been just focusing on natural nail services and pedicures. I use CND Brisa gel and I use all the proper products and do my prep exactly as I am supposed to. I put a full set on myself and I am not easy on my nails, so I figured I'd be my best test subject. They came out great and I filled them at two weeks, my problem then and since was that the free edge was separating from the gel underneath. There wasnt any lifting at all around the regrowth area, but like I said, some of my natural nails had pulled away from the enhancement. I did use tips, so technically the nails were separating from the tip I guess, but three fills in most of the tips have been filed away and my nails are still seperating. What is my issue? Is it just because the cold weather and my nails are super dry? Does anyone else have this issue? And if so, what do you do? Thanks in advance for any advice I can get!

Hey!
I get this on my own nails only and I have noticed its always the three nails I catch the corners of on my file when doing an infill for a client, so presuming this is the problem for me? Cud this be urs also? X

I have a client with this problem, we have tried everything but as soon as her free edge becomes exposed (from filling away tips after a couple of rebalances) they start to peel. It has happened with Brisa, Bioscilpture and l&p and she can't keep Shellac on for more than a week. So frustrating! Now we have to soak ok and do a full set after 2 sets of infills, costing her a fortune!

I use to have this same problem with every gel I tried until I started to use solar oil religiously.

I've seen this quite a few times on my clients.

First thing I want to say is, it's not the product....you use Brisa, I use NSI, it is the natural nail that is causing this problem.
If you take a good look at your natural nail (or anybody's for that matter) you will notice that as it grows, it does not grow out perfectly straight, it naturally has a lower arch and C-curve and as the nail gets longer, these become more prominent and the nail slowly begins to pull away from the enhancement usually at the free edge and especially at the corners of the free edge.
They do this due to length and being dry. Our nails must have natural curve to give it natural strength but we can avoid the issue being to prominent.
The only way I have found to fix it is, to shorten the length of the natural nail and use Nurture Oil (Solar Oil) not just on your cuticle area but also under your free edge on the natural nail and do this at least 3 times a day but especially at night before bed.
I'm not saying you have to cut off all your growth that I'm sure you are proud of, just shorten them to just below where the separation starts to occur and keep them this way until your nail are less dry and curvy.

If you do this and oil ALL the time, you will see a massive improvement.

We as techs more often than not, neglect our own nails but we can't afford to as we are our own models and advertisements:)

Good luck:)

I had this problem when first doing hard gel NNO. It happens on everyone. I seem to have worked through it. I try to cap the free edge and stopped having this problem. I remember Geeg saying she used a form on NNO and brought the gel just past the free edge.

I use to have this same problem with every gel I tried until I started to use solar oil religiously.

This is HUGE. As is capping the free edge of the nail.

Remember, the strength and flexibility of your own nails is usually (supposed to be) the opposite of the enhancement product you put on. If they are constantly going against each other, they will separate.

And if they are not conditioned with oil daily, they WILL dry up, and curl away from the enhancement. :)

Could it also be (thinking here from experience with my own nails) when nails are very thin or mis-shapen and you don't get a good contact with the tip and natural nail or possibly cheaper adhesives that wear off and causes the natural nail to seperate from the tip? And a possible solution is using an adhesive like gel bond which is super strong and gap filling?

Thanks so much for all your replies! I think it is that my nails are so dry, but I also found out today that I haven't been making a "bonding" layer where you really work a thin layer of gel onto the nail before building the rest of the nail. I'm wondering if that is going to help. I had two broken nails that I just ripped off cuz I was sick of the lifting underneath, so I started fresh with those two nails, and fixed them today while following the new technique. So let's see if i have more luck. Also, I am horrible at using solar oil, but I will try to be better ;). Thanks again ladies!

Latest posts

Back