'Friend' hasn't paid!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Seething isn't the word.

A 'friend' came into the salon I own on Friday with another friend (who was already getting her hair done) and asked me to cut her clip in extensions in if I had time. I had half hour free so agreed.

In total it took half hour i straightened her hair, cut & shaped the extensions. Before she left and I could take the bill at reception she gave me £5 and said "there you go babe that's all I have"!!
...a dry cut/ half hour is usually £19

I'm livid!!

I used to do her hair but she stopped coming to me when I cut my 'friends discount' that I used to offer & I was clearly only treated as a second option when she couldn't get into her 'posh' salon! So stopped coming......I'm a bloody really good hairdresser not second best!

Attached is the convo..... please advise as I may just go full on psycho here!!

Attachments

• 1490639080885.jpg
    1490639080885.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 261
  • 1490639095005.jpg
    1490639095005.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 215
Unfortunately if you didn't agree a price beforehand and she's already implied she isn't paying the difference, I don't think you're likely to ever see that money :( look on it as experience and refuse to do her hair in the future. I think the air quotes around "friend" are well placed, because she clearly isn't a really friend :(

That's no friend....:p

I've had this happen to me more times than I care to admit! :oops:

As you now have your own salon, they think you're rolling in it! :cool:

Let it go...... and be 'busy' next time.;)

I know it's hard to do this.....

Fire your friend. Because she isn't really one. A friend won't do that, a friend wouldn't pay less they would make sure you were not left out of pocket. In fact I would for se you to to have the payment in full

Ditch the bitch

What a cow. Prob not worth your energy trying to chase, she clearly doesn't value your friendship if she thinks you can afford to work for nothing, she clearly has no idea of the overheads involved in running a salon. Maybe text her back and say your sorry she feels that way and that you will let it go this time as she obviously misunderstood but you are running a business and all future appts will be charged at full price, then be busy for evermore!

This has happened to me once.

After I'd cut her hair, she opened her purse and said 'I've only got twenty quid on me'. So I took the money and didn't say anything. I do her hair regularly so she knows the price.
(If she was one of my friends who I know is less well off, I'd have happily waived the money but those friends ALWAYS insist on paying full price.)

I didn't say anything at the time because I knew I was seeing her socially at the club the next day.
When she arrived and was just getting her coat off and about to sit down, I leaned forwards and said very clearly so everyone within a few feet could hear, 'Jane, do you have that £xx you still owe me from yesterday?' She was very flustered but immediately opened her purse and paid up.

I knew she had a reputation for being tight when it came to bill sharing etc. but I also knew she wouldn't risk the embarrassment of her other friends knowing that she'd deliberately tried to fleece me.

LOL I love this tread some bitches out there

There was one time I was working as a hairdresser in a salon in Dublin City Centre. I was looking for models so I immediately taught of the house 2 doors down from mine where 5 girls live!
I went round, 2 of them promised they would make it I told them to give me a ring the day before if not and they didn't so I went into work Tuesday and was embarrassed I had no models... Low and behold one the bitches walks right by the salon after letting me down!

Now I can't wait for one of them to ask me for spray tan or a colour:D:D:D

Is it really necessary to use the term "bitch"?

Next time during consultation agree on a price. And if they don't pay up keep them there until the police come.

I'm guilty of forgetting that too, but we care for people so we focus on getting them serviced only to find out afterwards that ungrateful con-artists like this one had a plan in the first place to rip us off.

Years ago I had one that told me in the middle of a haircut she didn't have money to pay me because she was celebrating her birthday that night. Thinking about it after when I got home of course not in the moment I thought when she said that I should have said I'll finish the other half of the haircut when you decide to pay me. Long story short I was six months pregnant on bed rest when that happened, we agreed on when I was to collect the money, so I go to her house she locked her door screamed and threatened me in my face, I was trying to calm her down as I was slowly unlocking the door when she hands me the money and I pretty much ran out of there, almost passing out. Weeks later she apologized and wanted me to come back to cut her hair! I never did her hair again or did mobile work after that.

The lesson here is unfortunately after getting burned by f***tards like this we have to have a plan and stick to it because..... don don dooonnnn ..... are you ready...... clients are not our friends!

Next time during consultation agree on a price. And if they don't pay up keep them there until the police come.

!

LOL
The police took 2 days to come out when my car got stolen!! there's not even a snowballs chance in hell they'll come out to a salon in this situation.

Write it off.

She's no friend and she wouldn't be stepping over my doorstep again.

See I totally get what you mean and maybe I was In the wrong I always say the price prior to service for clients....But surely it's not necessary for me to 'reiterate that a client or friend should 'pay' in general ...would you go into topshop grab a pair of jeans and say to Mr green thanks babe there's a fiver?!

She would never have gone into her normal hairdressers and expected it for free xx

You shouldn't have to do that, no. But she's clearly playing on the fact that you didn't set a price upfront to say that she misunderstood and thought it was a freebie. She's completely the one in the wrong, but being clear about the price beforehand will get rid of any "misunderstanding" she may have in the future. Although, after this, she hopefully won't ask again lol

When you think about it, you're down £14 and that's a cheap lesson learned, it could have been so much more.

And the lesson to learn is that whether it's your best mate, your granny, or a stranger off the street, you agree the price before you start the service.

When you think about it, you're down £14 and that's a cheap lesson learned, it could have been so much more.

And the lesson to learn is that whether it's your best mate, your granny, or a stranger off the street, you agree the price before you start the service.

The 14 pound doesn't matter! I'm angry as that is pure cheeky! X

Is it really necessary to use the term "bitch"?
The 14 pound doesn't matter! I'm angry as that is pure cheeky! X

It's totally cheeky what she did, seems she's done this before which makes it more frustrating. Even more irritating is that she paid for those extensions which means she has the money.

If she comes back, I doubt she will, have her pre-pay before she gets the work done. Hopefully you can get everyone in the shop to agree so if she sits in their chair she doesn't get away with it.

I'm sorry this happened to you. People can be so selfish and unsympathetic sometimes.

Omg she's just booked in with my self employed lash tech!!! The bloody cheeeeeek

Omg she's just booked in with my self employed lash tech!!! The bloody cheeeeeek

Under the circumstances I would get your lash tech to send a quote for the treatment in writing (email or text message) and ask for confirmation of acceptance.

It will be interesting to see if she still goes ahead with the appointment after that!

Remind her of your cancellation policy fees and if poss take a decent deposit off her.

She's out for another cheapie me thinks
[emoji51][emoji51]

Text her and tell her she's banned until she pays up. :p

While I appreciate it is frustrating, this is not a police matter. She has made some payment towards the service; (although not the payment that was expected) ergo, a civil matter.

I also wouldn't advise "keeping them there" whilst waiting for the police to arrive....

Just treat it as a lesson learnt lovely, and always get confirmation of expected payment beforehand.

x

While I appreciate it is frustrating, this is not a police matter. She has made some payment towards the service; (although not the payment that was expected) ergo, a civil matter.
x

I appreciate that's the case in the UK but this poster is overseas so it could well be a police matter in another jurisdiction.

Latest posts

Back