Friends asking you to show them how to do nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gina Ballerina

Reaction score
How do you respond to messages like this without being a cow?
I don't even charge her when I do her nails
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1461915078.503061.jpg

This is a good friend? Not a client

I would just simply reply, thats it's not as simple as it looks and refer her to some paid training courses maybe?

Part of me thinks if you don't charge her it would be beneficial to you if she did her own

How do you respond to massages like this without being a cow?
I don't even charge her when I do her nails View attachment 196629

I'd reply with something like 'yes of course and when you realise just how fabulous I am because it's harder than it looks, I'll happily go back to doing them for you but you can pay me instead of getting freebies'

She's so rude!

I'd show her how to, when hers are lifting, popping off and breaking and don't look right she'll soon see the value in your work.

If you do her for free it might be tempting. I'd tell her every tiny little piece of kit/product she needs and see if she gets it all. I'm sure she's thinking of just the polish and a nail file x

Id just say no as your insurance doesn't cover you to train others

I'd tell her that it's a really good idea that she does her own as you're now so busy you were going to have to start charging her or give her slots to paying customers. Then, like someone else said, say you can't actually train her because of insurance but be über helpful listing kit and places to train. All said with a smile on your face!

Easier said than done I know xx

Not sure what all the hostility is about given she's a friend rather than a client.

I'd point her in the right direction for products and let her have a go.

She's probably thinking shes taking up a load of your time and feels guilty about it. I'd point her in the direction of sensationail or whatever it is they sell in boots for diyers. It comes with all the instructions and you can give her some tips, but if you don't mind doing her nails for free always leave the door open for if she wants to come back. Maybe ask her why she wants to do them herself if it's cos she can't really afford to pay but feels bad getting them for free then just tell her to bring you a bottle of wine or cupcakes or something in exchange

Not sure what all the hostility is about given she's a friend rather than a client.

I'd point her in the right direction for products and let her have a go.

I think the point is that, friend or not, the majority of us, (as professionals) are not fans of have-a-go-joes especially when they try to pick our brains for info on training which we have paid for & invested in.

I'd just laugh it off and no chance!
What's to stop her doing other friends if you show her how...
I had a similar situation with a friend who bought an eBay kit and then did her friend who was also my client and lost me an appointment.

Wow you lot are way nicer than me! If my 'friend' asked that she'd only get 2 words in response...... ;) ;) ;) x

This is why I caution people against doing anyone (except your mum!) for completely free. You need to understand how you lead her to this point. By doing her nails for free, you (unintentionally) told her that your time, training and equipment were not valuable, so now she undervalues you. I think letting her know that you use professional products and your insurance and vendors would not allow you to train someone else with them. Then point her to a good consumer brand and maybe a youtube video.

I always do my friends for free. I don't mind. They don't take up paying clients time and they only ask if it's a special occasion.
She's lovely really.
I said to her I would only be able to teach her how to use my system as I'm not trained in the other ms and she wouldn't be able to buy them without being trade. I advised that buying a cheap lamp is counter productive and mine was around £300.
I said to go and do a generic gel polish course and buy the supplies they use.
But the best thing would be to use Phenom as its so long lasting and quick drying and if I'm doing an order she can have them at cost price xxx

I absolutely don't mind doing anything for my friends for free, I will go in on a Sunday/Monday to do it.
10 years ago when I was at college and skint they were all there for me. Now I give back.
Xxx

If you don't mind doing freebies and you're happy to train her and buy her pro products, why ask the question?? As long as you're happy.... x
Personally, my friends wouldn't accept a freebie even if I offered. Just as I wouldn't expect or ask for a freebie from their business'.

I must be tight! Everyone gets charged except my mum, but she still pays me as she says it's my work/business, no matter how much I say no, we've finally agreed on half price!

How do you respond to messages like this without being a cow?
I don't even charge her when I do her nails View attachment 196629

I got the idea from your original post that you weren't keen and needed help on how to turn her down nicely. confused.com

If you don't mind doing freebies and you're happy to train her and buy her pro products, why ask the question?? As long as you're happy.... x
Personally, my friends wouldn't accept a freebie even if I offered. Just as I wouldn't expect or ask for a freebie from their business'.
I meant how to say no nicely. I don't mind doing them every now and then but I don't want to reach people not qualified how to do it.
Pro products for professionals only.

Latest posts

Back