Full timer or 2 part timers???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkleberry

Reaction score
Ahh ANOTHER question!!! What would everyone recommend works best? Having 1 fulltimer in or 2 part time b.therapists that combined cover the equivalent hours of a fulltimer? My initial thoughts were for the fulltime option, however, Im thinking the latter of the 2 would be best due to sickness/holiday cover and flexibility? Are there any implications of choosing one over the other-financially for me as an employer I mean?
Thankyou once again!xxx

I'd go for 2 Part-timers because of the reasons you give above ie they can cover for each other's holiday, time off sick etc.
Depending on the hours they work, if either is under the tax threshhold approx £90 per week then you don't have to worry about tax and NI. I suppose if you employed 3 or 4 part-time staff who only worked a few hours a week you would save yourself a little money as you wouldn't have to pay employer's NI liability. But that's probably a bit extreme to save a few pounds!
I have 3 part-time girls and only one of them is liable to pay tax and NI, so it cuts down a little on admin time for me.

I agree with Tog - she said exactly what I was going to!! 2 is better than one!

Def 2 I think - like you say, you have the flexibility for cover, holidays, sickness, etc. I would be specific when interviewing though to ask if they were flexible to cover absences. If you made that decision, the last thing you would then want would be someone who could ONLY do their set days / hours.

part timers all the way - ah if I knew then what I know now.........

Latest posts

Back