Gaaaaaa!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minipig007

Reaction score
Hi girls and Guys,

Sorry, but GAAAA!!! I'm training for my manicure and pedicure VTCT NVQ2, and i've tried and tried and tried to get my polish application right. I've read the tutorials on here and in my textbooks but, no matter how hard i try, the polish isn't even, and the application at the cuticles and free edge is messy and atrocious.

I've been trying all morning on my nail trainer, my hands are shaking and i've got a headache from trying soo much!!!

I don't know what to do!!! Am i just not cut out for this industry???!!!

Aw, you poor thing!!

First of all calm down!! I thinkg you might be putting a little too much pressure on yourself sweetie!! Just relax and then try it!! It will come to you I promise, it's just practice!!
Go and have a cuppa, watch telly for 1/2 an hour or until your headache goes take a deep breath and go for it!! That usually helps me!!
Go into it with confident thoughts and then you'll do it first time!!!

Good luck sweetcheeks!!

Have a rest honey. If you are shaking, you are pushing yourself too much. Take some time out, re-read the tutorials, take a deep breath and try again. Your polish is bound to be messy if you are shaking. Try and enjoy the learning and you will progress so much more quickly. Don't take too much out of yourself - take it easy. :hug:

Why not pop over and see me and we can practise our polishing together, sometimes it's easier when you have a friend with you to try things out with. i can practise my french polishing as well then
x

Thanks Girls,

I've taken Tilly Anne's advice and taken a break, had a cuppa and some lunch.

I started trying after looking at photo's of manicures and pedicures i had done for my case studies and seeing just how dreadful the application of polish was. I am determined to be successful in this industry, doing a career change at 25, but before now i have never been very good at this anyway! i suffer from a stress related fatigue disorder and i wanted to get into an industry i enjoy. At the moment, my confidence is just quite low, and case studies have been few and far between.

I'll try again in half an hour or so... Thanks for the invite scattyfox - unfortunately my mum has taken the car today otherwise i'd be over!

Just a quick question, is the application of polish on a nail trainer any more difficult than that on a natural nail??

Minipig007 said:
Just a quick question, is the application of polish on a nail trainer any more difficult than that on a natural nail??

The application is about the same, you can just move a real finger easier, plus the trainer nails are very flat.

When you are polishing make sure your arm you are polishing with is supported on the table and your pinkie finger rests against your other hand that is holding the nail to be painted - you will have more control.

Just have a small size bead of polish on one side of the brush, start at the middle of the nail and push the brush toward the cuticle area so it fans out this will give you a nice thin application of polish at the cuticle and cause the bristles are flat you can get near to it plus the shape of the oval will be there then pull the brush towards you and then do the sides the same, second coat - exactly the same, try not to work in a very warm room as the polish will start to go thick on the brush and try to work quickly. Pop your varnish in the fridge for a bit.

Take care

I feel a 'mini geek meet' coming on! lol

Its normally the 1st coat thats the hardest. What polish are you using? that could make a difference in the end result too...

Your not alone Minipig007 I have trouble with my polishing..i dread it when people want dark colours......

Sharron

Polishing is hard when you are first training, but like everything, it gets better with practice. This is what i do, i do all filing and cuticle work thoroughlly. Apply a good base coat. Then i hold the clients finger in my left hand using my thumb and index finger. I hold the polish in my right hand at an angle. ( i have to say that if im using opi polish i dont hold in my hand as it gets sticky, but i do hold creative polishes in my hand as they do not get sticky or thick!)I then do 3 even strokes, one down the middle, then one to the left using a sweeping/curving movement and the same to the right. If i do accidently get some on the skin or cutilce area i use an orange stick dipped in either scrubfresh or polish remover to just gently wipe off. I hope this helps a little, but dont stress youirself out, even after polishing nails for years you still dont get it right sometimes!!

Latest posts

Back