Gaining employment as an older newly qualified

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolastaBeauty

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where best to post this question so sorry if this isn't the right board.

I'm turning 31 in a few weeks and have just had my 2nd child. Just before I gave birth I completed my NVQ level 3 in beauty therapy and was part way through nail services level 2. I had also completed an oncology treatments course (pending case studies).

I'll be looking for 2 days a week work in the new year which I know is going to be niche and difficult to find. Unfortunately I don't feel confident enough to set up on my own straight away.

What I want to know is how do I make myself appealing to employers with no salon experience? I looked at doing an advanced waxing course but do you think that sort of thing will make much of a difference, or would that be the sort of thing I'd likely receive training on anyway?

Do you think people would rather employ a school leaver on a lower minimum wage?

As you can tell, I'm worried! Any suggestions about how to make myself employable would be greatly appreciated!

I'd bite your hand off. Maturity is a big selling point to me and as a small salon, we don't always want to be responsible for a full time wage. Part time helps us to build a therapists column slowly x

I'd bite your hand off. Maturity is a big selling point to me and as a small salon, we don't always want to be responsible for a full time wage. Part time helps us to build a therapists column slowly x

Aww thanks! That's made me feel loads better. The thing about part time is that I can't really be flexible on the days I do - I can only do a Wednesday and Saturday because of childcare and I know that flexibility is required to fit other shifts and that worries me.

Do you think I should do the advanced wax course?

I'm thinking once my baby is a few months old I might start approaching a few places to see if they will let me do work experience. Is that something salons do? X

Spas. They are always looking for people. You're near quite a few in Nottingham. Worth sending some speculative applications.

I was 30 when I qualified and had no problem finding work even though I had never done the job before. What you will learn from other experienced therapists as well as obviously doing the job itself is invaluable.
The therapist that hired me liked my enthusiasm, liked that I was a bit older and had other kinds of work experience (i.e. working with the public, working in caring roles, experience of time management and being organised etc.). I think when you go in to the industry at an older age it shows that you're very serious about the job and can sometimes put you ahead of younger candidates.

I opted for spa work as it was semi-flexible, the venue had a great reputation and it was local to where I lived. They provided all further training. I will say spa work isn't for the faint hearted and the pay is low.
But there are other options; a friend of mine worked as a salon assistant when she first qualified. Her pay was diabolical but she was only an assistant for 3 months until they promoted her once she had a little more experience under her belt.

Hi there I am new to this site and just stumbled across this post. SolastaBeauty I am 33 and currently at college completing my HND as well as working mobile. I have 2 kids at home as well and I was worried that my age would be an issue looking for work :( but I'm so glad I read this. Has made me feel much more positive about approaching potential employers x

Thanks Jemma and Laura. I don't mind working for rubbish money, it's more about getting experience and my skills up at the moment. I have worked in a spa before (not as a therapist) and it was truly horrendous so I do worry they will all be as awful as that one, but I think I know deep down that the pace of work and volume of experienced colleagues to learn from is what I need.

Absolutebeauty83 - I'm sorry you've been worried too but I'm glad that it doesn't seem to be such an unusual thing we are doing! Plus you have the bonus of doing mobile work so you are practicing your skills all the time. I hope you get something good sorted! X

I've employed older and newly qualified therapists and I agree with Squidgernetball - maturity is a big selling point. All of my 5 therapists are part time - it works for them and for me!

Latest posts

Back