Garage conversion to salon!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smc123

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i am in the process of converting my garage in to salon! thought it would be a great idea to avoid paying rent! however i am now starting to panic if this was a terrible idea and i get no clients. Has anyone ever done this and found it to be successful ? I am a qualified therapist and I am good at my job but i feel as passerbys wont see it no one will know im there!

thanks!xx

Yep, my garage has been converted too, I have only been working from home for less than a year so Im not overly busy but its steady, most of my business is word of mouth, lots of mums from the school come to me, then their family and friends too so its constantly growing.

Im quite happy working part time as I have kids and a hubby to look after as well as working at the school on occasions.

If you want people to know you are there then advertise, leaflet drop etc - good luck in your new business x

My Mum converted her garage to a treatment room a few years ago and it has been fantastic for her. She is a holistic therapist and a chiropodist, she used to work mobile, but was having increasing back problems carrying all her equipment around, so converted the garage. All of her regular clients came with her, so she didn't loose out, and her client base has grown. It is great as there is parking available in the drive, and the clients use the back door and go straight into the treatment room, so it's all very professional.
She did a bit of advertising, but mainly all her clients have been through word of mouth.
The benefit for me is I can now use the treatment room on days when my Mum isn't working, and we can both advertise our different services to 2 client bases.
I hope that the conversion works for you and you find it a benefit! Good luck:)

thanks for the advice! im probably just panicking about nothing. the good thing is my dads going to convert it as he owns his joinery business so if it doesnt work out then its not like ive forked out a massive expense! have alot of friends and big family so hopefully all goes well :( ! xx

My husband converted mine so not a huge expense either, at the end of the day what have you got to lose!!

A lady in a village I lived in converted her garage into a hair salon and since she had to extend and take on 2 members if staff. I know that's hair but proves, in a small village it can work.

Give it a go you have nothing to loose. And if you decided in the future it's not for you then you have a lovely spare room : )) go for it and good luck xx

yeah thats true, i retail products and have all my equipment so its just a case of decorating and putting sinks n that in to the garage ! but at the end of the day if it doesnt work out its always there if i ever get the odd client! im so negative lol!!

You need your glass to be half full...positive thinking ok!!! X

It's worked really well for me too. I think the key is to treat it like a 'proper' business from the start. Close the door on it at the end of the day. Don't take phone calls after a certain time. Decide before hand when you're willing to work. You can't beat it!

yeah thats what my family have told me to do aswell ! im excited but nervous at the same time! thanks for all the advice everyone :) xxx

It's worked really well for me too. I think the key is to treat it like a 'proper' business from the start. Close the door on it at the end of the day. Don't take phone calls after a certain time. Decide before hand when you're willing to work. You can't beat it!

Yeah thats the problem with me, I tend to agree to clients coming at all hours because its easy to nip down the garden, but I do need to toughen up and say I only work upto a certain time unless its a really really desperate client!! x

yeah i remember a few weeks ago i agreed to do 2 sets of gel nails for a friend and her aunt because they where going on holiday bt they txt me that night asking if i could make it 10 oclock but softie me says yes and i was goin to manchester the next day for the weekend :(!! xx

I've found this thread to be really useful as my daughter is considering doing the same to her garage to try and cut down on travel costs. What have you done to the front of the garage, e.g. garage door? I would think this is the most costly part of the conversion. Have you removed it completely and put in a brick wall and window? My daughter's garage is integral to the house so not sure how this would work and whether planning permission would have to be sought. Would be interested in your replies.

Thankx

When we converted our garage, just over 10 years ago, we didn't have much money so we've kept the garage doors in place and only converted just over 3/4 of the garage. It means we've still got space for washing machine/dryer, shelves etc at the back of the garage. There is a wall splitting the two areas so my clinic just looks like a clinic and we did include a small toilet as well so that clients wouldn't need to enter our actual house. Hope i've explained that ok!

Hi, my garage is quite big and its separate from the house in our back garden. I have a side door with a window at the side of the garage and then the garage will be split in half so i still have room for a tumble dryer etc. you wont need planning permission as its not abstructing anything and its not an extension ( i think?) !!
xx

I converted my garage 2years ago and have never looked back!!!

I used to rent a room but the minute I started working from home my business seemed to soar! My clients love that they can pull on the drive and come straight in! I've had client sat there in their pj's lol!!

I do work a lot more... Can work earlier and later but for those odd little fixes, it's so nice to pop in while the dinners on, fix a nail and leave! On top of that, I have two kids (9 & 7) and during the holidays, I can work and they are right there, through the door playing (our garage is attached to our house so we have a door straight in). So I can work and the kids are right there! They understand that I'm working and that clients to hear them and on the while they are very good and my clients don't mind them popping their heads in to ask for something!!

We originally only converted 2/3 of the garage and kept a bit as a utility room but last Jan I did a Sienna x course and we then ticked that part out completely an it's now my tanning room! I couldn't think of a better use of space! My parents helped us do mine (they are DIY geniuses)!

I would def go for it!!

Oops that was meant to say "tiled" out the utility room!!! iPad autocorrect!!!!

Hello. Thank you everyone for sharing. I am a massage therapist and I am considering working out of the home. I would like to convert my 2 garage into a small gym, treatment room and waiting area. I can either take out the garage doors and get them replaced with windows and a front entrance door or I can have clients come in the side door. If they use the side door I can leave the garage doors up but they wouldn't be used. We would just drywall on the inside of the garage. Can you please give me some advice on which would be better for the clients, neighbourhood as well as what may look more professional? Thank you!

Latest posts

Back