Geeks do you think this is a little dodgy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you think its dodgy then go with your gut but you could be missing a good chance ...have you tryed googling there e mail address ? or looking for it on face book or my space? if its a personal e mail you might find it, but(not always) and if it is a scam addresss it might come up in google.

well now you know it is a scam, block them. if they want your account details, then they are thieves.

dont give them any info at all. just report them to your service provider.

tigi
xx

I will defo report them. Thank you hun xxx

What is really odd tho weezie is that I don't even have make-up advertised as a service on my website. I had taken it off a while ago. All my clients know this so it's really strange how someone would recommend me. I have emailed him to ask for a contact number.
Thanks hun xxx

The plot thickens! :eek:

Hi, hmm am I dectecting bit of a dictator here with this request ?
it could be cosher and all ok , and if you are interested in the request...

I am thinking you must ask more about themselves in a business like but tactful way and things will hopefully come to light ?
think about some questions you may need to ask them first ?

also what if you do a trial for them and they sack you off ? all that way for nothing :eek: ,

why arent they using someone closer ? and why is a man choosing his Brides make up artist ?
just thinking though....he may be gay and it's a gay wedding ?
well that's fine but ...you will need to know these things first for the skin coverage ect...

find out what didn't he like about how the first make up artist performed ect... so you can get it right ect....?

at the end of the day.... if you want to do it you need to know more about the client and who you are dealing with ,then you can suss out if it's a wind up or wether its worth it to your business with all that travelling ?

plus make it clear that you cannot stay in a strangers home over night :eek:

if you are unsure at all .....tell them you don't travel without your personal assistant and he may not be available to accompany you at that time
ect.... plus you only ever stay over night in a nearby travel lodge ect...
:hug: x minky

Sounds like a scam to me, but when I got married my hubby dealt with the hotel as I hated their wedding co-ordinator and got worked up every time I spoke to her. Maybe as they've been let down he's sorting it for her. Although I wouldn't have let him sort my mua.
Posted via Mobile Device

:lol::lol: ha ha they want to feed you that made me chuckle :) lols x

Who knows if its genuine or not, but I would ay trust your instinct. What if you agreed, got up there, and had to stay with people you don't trust and really know nothing about? I wouldn't want to do it! Just tell them that you are already booked out for those days and tell them that you can recommend another mua closer to their location.

He has provided me with a phone number. I will call him tomorrow xxx

reading this red flags are popping up all over, i would not entertain it

ask them for a contact number and tell them you will ring them back to discuss it further, i bet you won't hear from them anymore. Sounds dodgy to me i wouldn't bother, but like i said ask them where they live, contact number etc.

Have to agree, sounds like some sort of scam to me too! sort of like when you advertise your car for sale and get loads of emails saying they want it and how can they arrange payment etc?? :eek:

I would avoid it like the plague! :hug:

Hi, someone was saying somwhere on here not to ring up to certain numbers as it can be charged to your own bill or something like that about a phone scam beware thing
:hug: x

Oooooh, the suspense... I have to know Kylieb, what was the outcome?

When I first read the email I think "Wow, what a fantastic prospect... too good to be true!"... but then I start to question;

1. what friend recommends a search engine to a friend instead of a web address? What person doesn't tell you which friend recommended you!
2. no expense spared, he'll pay airfare and feed you, yet he won't phone you (he emails instead) & leaves no return phone number
3. your website doesn't even say you do makeup
4. capitals left of his supposed fiance's name, but together we are the roland family (again no capitals)? (Definitely not Greek or Asian - so discounts the Big Fat Greek wedding theory)
5. 'bridal train', who says that???? It's bridal party... yeah?

It would be pretty amazing if it's legit, but in all honestly there are too many oddities about the email that leave a non genuine taste in the mouth.

So do tell.... what was the outcome?? :eek:

Well kylie,
How did it go? Were the genuine or the dodgist people ever? Lol
xxx
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you advertise on gumtree?

This is common place where you have captains in the navy or some stock broker away on business in switxerland offer you twice the price for a service or item. They offer you paymeny into your bank account by wire transfer or offer to pay by paypal.

If they pay by paypal you get an e-mail from paypal telling them you have funds and once the item has been shipped or the service completed to satisfactory standards the payment will show up in your paypal account ~ which it will never do because paypal usually shows up straight away.

Paypal by in large is a huge scam artists playground and I hate it! I try to avoid using it as much as possible as I have lost a lot of money from them messing up. Unfortunetly I sell on ebay and its all you can use.

If you want them to pay you first send then a Nochex invoice as it is the most secure payment method on the internet, as the other person has to jump through hoops to confirm who they are. Either that ask them for THEIR credit card details to charge using your own machine and they always disappear and never get back to you!

Never do anything like this without full payment upfront unless its for TV companies or large recognised companies where I allow 30 days payment terms.

You can also have anyone you deal with credit checked or check there status at companies house for a few pounds which always shows you the position companies are in financially before dealing with them ~ especially at the minute!

Its always best to talk with people first as your natural instinct kicks in but the sheer fact you already have doubts would be enough to perhaps put me off.

If it is genuine, don't go alone. Anywhere that involves large parties or travel away from my home town I take assistance, either my mum, sister, partner or a work collegue/fellow professional. This means I am a) not in a strange place alone, b) I am safe, C) I have a helping hand if things get hectic and d) company on the journey especially if its a really long drive and you are coming back late at night etc.

Kate

I used to get emails like this all the time while I was selling goods, God knows where they get your contact details from........ basically, if they make contact again or reply or whatever, they will want to know how much in total and then they say that they will send you the money plus say an extra £200, and then you give them the difference......... it's a huge scam in that whoevers payment method they are fraudulently using generally gets refunded once it's been reported, and the scammer gets to £200
STEAR WELL CLEAR!

My first thought was money laundering. Can't explain why exactly, but I reckon they will be after your bank details or paypal details or something like that.

Have to agree with you on this, so please (altho I know u wont) give out any details x Good luck with it :)

Whenever I get enquiries I am dubious about, I always ask for a contact telephone number so that I can speak with them. If they are genuine, they are pleased to let you have their contact details.

Did you get in touch with him??

Im hooked on this thread!!:green:

xxx

This is 100% a scam.

If ever in doubt about a dodgy email just pick a line of text from the middle that doesn't look too generic, paste it into Google in double-quotes, hit search and see what comes back. Chances are if it's a repeated scam you'll find it's already been tried elsewhere on the web.

In this instance, check out the post from 18 February 2009 on this page:
Wedding Beauty Tips by Fresh Beauty | Style Me Pretty : The Ultimate Wedding Blog

Familiar, eh?

Best not to engage in any more correspondence with this person and not to share any personal / contact details with them that are not already public domain as part of your business.

Latest posts

Back