Gel and polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickey26

Mobile masseuse and nail technician
Reaction score
As stated in previous posts I'm new to nails, currently doing my course now. My tutor has said that you can't use polish and gel at the same time as the polish slips but I've seen videos where they have used nail polish and then put a gel top coat on!! Just wondering if this would actually work? Just trying to get my head around a few things.

Personaly i use them together.put i make sure before i apply the gel polish to file and buff the hard gel.wibe it with alcohol and then apply my gel polish and the gel top coat.i didn't have any problems with my clients.

Oh,sorry i just reilized that you were talking about gel and recular polish.i thought you were talking about gel polish and hard gel.i haven't tried to use gel with recular polish so i wouldn't know if it's ok:)

I do use gel top coats over traditional polish. I do a lot of nail art and some of my clients opt for a gel top coat instead of a full gel mani. The trick is that the traditional polish has to be dry. I use Vinylux so it does not take that long for the polish to dry. Also when stamping over gel polish you use traditional polish and then gel top coat. If the traditional polish is not dry before you gel top coat you might get bubbles, crinkles... I have to keep gel polish on my nails while working with clients but I actually am a terrible gel polish picker and when I am having a hard time controlling myself I will switch to traditional polish with gel top coat. It doesn't shred my nails as much when I rip it off.

I do use gel top coats over traditional polish. I do a lot of nail art and some of my clients opt for a gel top coat instead of a full gel mani. The trick is that the traditional polish has to be dry. I use Vinylux so it does not take that long for the polish to dry. Also when stamping over gel polish you use traditional polish and then gel top coat. If the traditional polish is not dry before you gel top coat you might get bubbles, crinkles... I have to keep gel polish on my nails while working with clients but I actually am a terrible gel polish picker and when I am having a hard time controlling myself I will switch to traditional polish with gel top coat. It doesn't shred my nails as much when I rip it off.
So can I use traditional polish over gel base coat? X

So can I use traditional polish over gel base coat? X
When I do a negative space stamping gel mani I would do base, then stamp with traditional then gel top. I would not just polish regular polish the entire nail over gel base. When I do gel top coat over traditional polish, I use all regular polish and then top coat with gel. The attached pic is a gel base with traditional polish stamp and hand painted accents with alcohol ink and studs with a gel topcoat.
image.jpeg

When I do a negative space stamping gel mani I would do base, then stamp with traditional then gel top. I would not just polish regular polish the entire nail over gel base. When I do gel top coat over traditional polish, I use all regular polish and then top coat with gel. The attached pic is a gel base with traditional polish stamp and hand painted accents with alcohol ink and studs with a gel topcoat.View attachment 192411
Hi I just wanted to ask what is alcohol ink and what is the benefits of its use with gels? Thanks

Latest posts

Back