Gel extensions help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awx1996

Reaction score
Hi I recently qualified in gel extensions in November. Since the course I have done only 3 sets of nails. They are looking pretty good for just starting only thing is they only last for 2-3 days until 1 or 2 start coming off. I don't understand why this is? I'm using the correct size tips, making sure there are no air bubbles. Is it the glue? The tips? The builder gel (IBD)? Or is it my application?

I preordered the nail by doing cuticle work, rounding the edges of the natural nails and buffing over the nails then applying the tip and 3 layers of build gel.

Thank you :)
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1487278480.817044.jpg

Do you cleanse and primer after buffing?

Oh no, I prime but I was taught to just buff off the excess dust then apply the extension straight away. I thought that was also strange this may be where I am going wrong

Oh no, I prime but I was taught to just buff off the excess dust then apply the extension straight away. I thought that was also strange this may be where I am going wrong

making sure the nails are prepped properly is the most important step in the whole process, is still training so I'm no expert. My routine is:
Cleanse hands
Push back cuticles and remove protein growth
Use a 150/180 grit file to remove shine from natural nail especially around the cuticle area (it can cause lifting if you don't do this properly)
Then to swipe the nail (dehydrator)
Apply protein bond x2 coats making sure not to get any on the skin.
If you're doing all that correctly it could maybe be the fact the stress area isn't built up enough? They need to be stronger in that area to deal with day to day wear. hioefully that helps! The nails look lovely :)

Thanks Zoe! What's a protein bond I don't actually think I've heard of that before? What builder gel do you recommended using?

Thanks Zoe! What's a protein bond I don't actually think I've heard of that before? What builder gel do you recommended using?

The protein bond I use is a non-acid adhesion maybe it's the same as a primer but I've always known it to be protein bond, and I've only ever used young nails, I do find them quite expensive so I'd suggest maybe looking around and doing some research first to see what suits you best, they are good though! :) I'm training still so no expert, just what I've been taught by my tutor

Could be 101 things as as we have no idea what sort of training you have had and what system etc its hard to say . Can you not ask your tutor as they should be on hand to give you any help even after the course and they SHOULD know best

Anyway some things to look for and no 1 as Asteropi said is you MUST clean the nails to remove and dirt or oils before you apply your products . If you don't that is not proper prep

It could also be

Layers too thick and not curing properly
Lamp not the correct one for your system and therefore not curing properly again
Stress area not built up correctly causing structure to be weaker and numerous other things .

Are you using the complete system from start to finish including the recommended lamp .

When you say they are loosing 1 or 2 after a few days how . Are they just lifting off , breaking or what ? Give us more information so that we can help
x

X

Oh yes it may be primer! Just haven't heard of them terms before sorry. Thank you I may try the salon services one

Could be 101 things as as we have no idea what sort of training you have had and what system etc its hard to say . Can you not ask your tutor as they should be on hand to give you any help even after the course and they SHOULD know best

Anyway some things to look for and no 1 as Asteropi said is you MUST clean the nails to remove and dirt or oils before you apply your products . If you don't that is not proper prep

It could also be

Lamp not the correct one for your system and therefore not curing properly again
Stress area not built up correctly causing structure to be weaker and numerous other things .

Are you using the complete system from start to finish including the recommended lamp .

When you say they are loosing 1 or 2 after a few days how . Are they just lifting off , breaking or what ? Give us more information so that we can help
x

X

They are snapping so it's just the tip that seems to be coming off the rest is still on the nails. I wasn't recommended I learnt with the beauty academy and they just used salon services and no particular lamp I may try the salon services products see how I get on with that. Thank you x

Before you start spending more on products ( nothing wrong with IBD and its superior to salon service own products in my opinion ) you need to get your application right first . If , as you say that they are 'snapping' then it would appear the nails are not balanced with the correct curve from the 'cuticle ' to free edge . Work on building your shape properly first . When you say they are snapping after couple of days is that just on you or on other people too ?

Also look at the length of the nail compared to the size of the nail plate . Rule of thumb is the 'extension ' part should be no more than half of the length of nail plate . Does that make sense . If longer than this then the structure cannot support that extra length

Looking at your picture it is a very neat application but the thumb looks too flat ( no apex across stress area )and as far as length goes you have about the length of nail plate again so these are really too long . The length should be taken down by half :)
x

Before you start spending more on products ( nothing wrong with IBD and its superior to salon service own products in my opinion ) you need to get your application right first . If , as you say that they are 'snapping' then it would appear the nails are not balanced with the correct curve from the 'cuticle ' to free edge . Work on building your shape properly first . When you say they are snapping after couple of days is that just on you or on other people too ?

Also look at the length of the nail compared to the size of the nail plate . Rule of thumb is the 'extension ' part should be no more than half of the length of nail plate . Does that make sense . If longer than this then the structure cannot support that extra length

Looking at your picture it is a very neat application but the thumb looks too flat ( no apex across stress area )and as far as length goes you have about the length of nail plate again so these are really too long . The length should be taken down by half :)
x

I'm unsure on how to get that shape? I done a 1 day training course and now since going back I feel like it's not the best and did not learn much in the second course which I had more knowledge in to notice than I did with the gel extensions as I went in pretty clueless. They snap off on others it has happened on 3 different people and the other 2 did not have long nails I just didn't get a photo of them x

Hi Abbie ,

Oh bless you . No wonder you dont know how to get that shape . A 1 day course !!!!! . That is just not enough time to learn what you need to . You need to have a gentle arch from 'cuticle' to free edge and that is achieved by applying the builder gel correctly . So that there is more gel in the stress area

If I am to be brutally honest with you I would get on another course that IS going to teach you what you need to know . You should have learnt about nail anatomy , nail disorders and diseases, nail prep , tip application and blending , how and when to use each one of the gels in the range , gel application , finishing . client consultation , contra indications and contra actions etc etc etc . Then at the end of the course you should have sat a written and practical exam . Did you do all that ?

There is just no way you can learn that in a day and if you seriously want to make a career from nails then you need to invest in your future .

Is there not any branding training near to you or even college NVQ ?x

Well I do gels and everything anyways and had the odd lesson back in college but didn't have much idea about it so paid for a day course and I got shown blending etc and that there does need to be more gel applied in the stress area which I did on each model I've practiced on but never been told about any shaping with the gel x

Hi Abbiexwalker,

Sorry to hear you're having issues. It can be demoralising and confusing if you're just starting out but just remember we all started somewhere.

It's hard to tell from just one photo as there could be a million different reasons for your enhancements not lasting.

Looking at your picture and based on what you've said. It is clear that your enhancements are not balanced as you can see the thumb nail is flat rather than structured. You need to build an apex on zone two or three (depending on what way you were taught).

Take your time with each step to make sure you are doing everything right to prevent service breakdown.

1. Prep - Ensuring natural Nails are sanitised and and oil is removed. Nail plate should be free from Cuticle including sides. If clients haven't had there Nails done in a while then it can grow far down the nail plate. Use a good Cuticle remover if your brand recommends it. Avoid soaking the natural nail before enhancements.

Ensure shine is gently removed from the natural nail (not etched) with a high grit buffer.

Use the correct primer/bonder with your chosen nail brand.

2. Application insure the correct amount of product is used and make sure you don't miss out on any areas. Ensure your bulbs/lamp is working correctly and cure for the right amount of time. A gel can harden at 50% cure but it needs to be at 80% to avoid service break down and to ensure the client is safe from over exposure.

3. Structure- Apply your product to ensure your enhancements are balanced adding the apex before curing, this will also lessen filing time. Ensure your filing techniques are consistent eg. starting with edges then removing any bulk/blending.

This is just a summary. Many trains providers offer one to one skill building courses who can tell you where you are going wrong and how to improve.

Best of luck!

I actually did my training one to one! It wasn't planned just the other girl didn't turn up but I feel like she didn't tell me anything about 'adding the apex' I've actually never heard of that before in my life [emoji15] don't suppose you know of any good YouTube tutorials or anything for me to practice on? Thank you!

I actually did my training one to one! It wasn't planned just the other girl didn't turn up but I feel like she didn't tell me anything about 'adding the apex' I've actually never heard of that before in my life [emoji15] don't suppose you know of any good YouTube tutorials or anything for me to practice on? Thank you!

These are very basic things that should have been covered on your course but this is no fault of your own. Are you sure your course is accredited?

I would start with contacting your Educator and asking about the apex, prep etc. And explain that your nails are not lasting.

I would look into doing another one to one with a reputable company to learn the basics before any online tutorials.

These are very basic things that should have been covered on your course but this is no fault of your own. Are you sure your course is accredited?

I would start with contacting your Educator and asking about the apex, prep etc. And explain that your nails are not lasting.

I would look into doing another one to one with a reputable company to learn the basics before any online tutorials.

Thank you for your help !

Hi Again Abbey NYA nails said almost the same as me and both of us mentioned Apex which you have not heard of . This IS basic stuff so like I said before you really need more training if you are to succeed in this business . Unfortunately you are a little too far from me otherwise I would love to have taught you :(

Do have a look around your area to see what is about BUT before you book anything pop back on here and run it past us so we can guide you more ;)
x

Thank you so much that's so lovely of you! I'll keep that in mind haha thanks again you've been a great help [emoji171] x

It could also be

x

X
Dude! Does it really matter if they can ask their tutor or not? Since it does seem to matter to you, I'm guessing they feel uncomfortable and it's a bit like when you're in school.. you ask your peers, hoping you fix it on your own so the teacher will be proud of you. Whatever the reason for them asking here, it shouldn't matter. They came here to ask for help and shouldn't be scolded for it.

Latest posts

Back