Gel nail Bumps etc

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tara1

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

done my first set of gels on tips. Although client seemed happy i was not. The gel didn't seem to self level very well resulting in a bumpy finish. Also clients own whites of nail seen to be visable lower the the tip. She aked to have a nail polish put over the top bright red!!! which was fine all be it a little bumpy in places when i put top coat on the vanish started looking dull and a little white in the tip???? Where am i going wrong. I didn't feel i could charge her full price as although have qualified i am not very practiced. I know most people would say i need more practice but i need the clients to keep practicing and can't aford to give the service away for free.:cry: Any advice gratfully recieved.

Hi Everyone

done my first set of gels on tips. Although client seemed happy i was not. The gel didn't seem to self level very well resulting in a bumpy finish. Also clients own whites of nail seen to be visable lower the the tip. She aked to have a nail polish put over the top bright red!!! which was fine all be it a little bumpy in places when i put top coat on the vanish started looking dull and a little white in the tip???? Where am i going wrong. I didn't feel i could charge her full price as although have qualified i am not very practiced. I know most people would say i need more practice but i need the clients to keep practicing and can't aford to give the service away for free.:cry: Any advice gratfully recieved.

Did you train in gel ? If you did how can it be your first ever set?

Yes have recently qualified in gels acrylic fibreglass this was first paying client have done several friends and family

Did they not teach you to refine the surface before adding your gloss coat?

Yes by which i take it you mean sand blocking!! I have done that but still can't seem to get a smooth finish

Definitely go and read the tutorial that Gigi has suggested (and all the others), it will help you a lot.

One reason you could be getting these dips and bumps is because of your brush control (again, there is a tutorial for this too in same section).
Remember, with gel, you must float your brush on TOP of the product, not dig into it as you gently move it into place.
Even though it's a self leveling gel, you still have to do some work but you must be careful how you do it and not overwork the gel by not floating your brush.

It all takes lots of practice but remember, there is no point in practicing bad habits, it's always better to practice the right techniques and improve these to the point of perfection.

Go read the tutes and put the info into practice and I'm sure you will improve your skills, just be patient and you will get there:hug:

Geeg and wooshka have given good good advice and also if you want hands to practice on buy a fake hand £10 normally and you can re use it and practice as much as you can or buy some marigolds fill with rice u can stick tips on and do acrylic and gels I done both and practiced a lot like that lol it works x

Tips on sticks or 'the bluetac finger' are much more user-friendly than plastic hands or rice-filled gloves and cheaper and quicker. Personally I use my nail Trainer which I have had for 13 years!

Remember it is not practice that makes perfect but PERFECT practice that makes perfect ... one at a time.

Latest posts

Back