Gel nails chipping & peeling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizzieIsla05

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the nail industry and just need some advice.

I am currently using Gelish polish, which I decided on due to the amount of positive reviews about the brand. I bought a set which included the Ph bonder, base coat, top coat, wipe off and 10 colours. I have been practising on friends and family but have got really mixed results. I have found a number of the colours shrink on the nail, even prior to curing them however this only happens on about half of them, is there anything I can do to stop this? Following this, I have also had some sets that last 2-3 weeks, where as others have chipped or peeled after only a couple of days. I am really unsure why this would be, the only things I've done differently from one set to the other is using cuticle cream on some but not others, buffing and the curing time (I use a Miropure UV LED lamp), originally for 30 secs for each coat but i have started doing 60 secs.

Should i be using cuticle cream and pushing the cuticles or is this just adding oils to the nails?
I know I shouldn't have to buff, but does everyone else do this anyway?
Will curing for 60 secs over 30 secs make a difference?

I also want to try a few different brands to see if this helps, can anyone recommend some for me to try, and can I still use the Gelish top and bottom coats with the other branded colour?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the nail industry and just need some advice.

I am currently using Gelish polish, which I decided on due to the amount of positive reviews about the brand. I bought a set which included the Ph bonder, base coat, top coat, wipe off and 10 colours. I have been practising on friends and family but have got really mixed results. I have found a number of the colours shrink on the nail, even prior to curing them however this only happens on about half of them, is there anything I can do to stop this? Following this, I have also had some sets that last 2-3 weeks, where as others have chipped or peeled after only a couple of days. I am really unsure why this would be, the only things I've done differently from one set to the other is using cuticle cream on some but not others, buffing and the curing time (I use a Miropure UV LED lamp), originally for 30 secs for each coat but i have started doing 60 secs.

Should i be using cuticle cream and pushing the cuticles or is this just adding oils to the nails?
I know I shouldn't have to buff, but does everyone else do this anyway?
Will curing for 60 secs over 30 secs make a difference?

I also want to try a few different brands to see if this helps, can anyone recommend some for me to try, and can I still use the Gelish top and bottom coats with the other branded colour?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Hi,
Have you had any nail related training? Manicure/gel polish/acrylics etc? x

Hi,
Have you had any nail related training? Manicure/gel polish/acrylics etc? x

Hey,
Yes I trained with the beauty academy in mani/pedi and gel application x

Could be a number of things:

Maybe your clients aren’t following aftercare.

Could be that you aren’t using the correct lamp for your system.

Foundation coat could be too thick which can cause shrinking

Colour coats could be being applied too thickly, which can also cause Shrinking

Cuticle cream if not removed correctly can cause gel polish to lift.

Most of these things should have been covered on your course. Do you have a manual that you can refer back to-to go over your steps to see what’s going wrong? Or can you still get in touch with your educator for a little help. x

Hi there

All these issues I think happen with all systems. I use. Biosculpture and I have similar problems. Shrinking on some clients not on others. Regular clients sometimes go two/three weeks and sometimes not. I do the same procedure time after time. Some systems just don’t suit some people. It’s very frustrating and really knocks your confidence so I understand how you feel. When you put the primer on make sure it’s completely dry. I use a hand fan. I would try to do two nails at a time with the 30 sec timer this is possible. Turn to Gelish for some help and advice too.

Hi

I use IBD just gel and get shrinking in dark colours if applied to thick. Keep your layers really thin and build up. If the layers are too think this can also cause peeling. You may be under curing so increasing your curing time might help. I also buff the nail before applying bonder/base coat etc. As said every client is different so may last ages on one but not so long on another.

Check everything cheekychick said as she’s the expert on Gelish around here

Also, Gelish is a pure gel system so you def need to buff the nail before base coat

Latest posts

Back