Gel polish ruined my nails, really?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a person tell me gel polish ruined her nails. She didn't know that I did nails. I asked her how they were removed. "Oh, they used a drill" ! It makes me sad someone thinks its the fault of the product. I did my best to inform her one is never to use an e-file to remove gel polish. But I doubt she will give it another go.

Oh it's funny. I've had the same thing lately. It's the face they make at the suggestion on Gel polish followed by lots of "Really!" When you explain how it should be applied/removed. There is no doubt there is some confusion between products but it would seem Gelish and other good quality Gel polishes are getting dragged down in the confusion. It seems to some clients that the options are Shellac or "some kind of gel". I can honestly say I have not had a single complaint of damage regarding Gelish that I have applied or removed.
I do get a little fed up having to repeat "No it's not Shellac or even like Shellac. The products have similarities but............" and go on to explain. It's clear Shellac is a fantastic product. It's clear Gelish is a fantastic product. It's just a shame that bad service can tarnish their name so easily. Though let's face it. Providing a great standard of service and keeping clients well informed speaks volumes.

(This comment is not intended as Shellac Vs Gelish. It is more Good quality sevice Vs Bad.)

Pheiw! Glad to get that off my chest. lol

Last edited:
When my virgin man came to sort our tv out, he noticed my nails and asked it was shellac (check him out ;) )I explained it was gelish and how it was different etc and he said well my wife has shellac done every 2 weeks and they are getting so thin and brittle from all the buffing?! I explained how shellac needs NO buffing at all etc and told him to get her to go back to the salon and educate them of this. Such a shame when people are not following the correct procedures/getting the right training as it gives it a bad name.I have never had a comment on gelish ruining nails, is always the opposite how it strengthens and makes them grow like mad :)

Well Gelish doesn't ruin my nails. I have just done a removal of them this morning but then started decorating again. So hands are a little dry right this minute. But nails fab. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1350297261.090493.jpg

When my virgin man came to sort our tv out, he noticed my nails and asked it was shellac (check him out ;) )I explained it was gelish and how it was different etc and he said well my wife has shellac done every 2 weeks and they are getting so thin and brittle from all the buffing?! I explained how shellac needs NO buffing at all etc and told him to get her to go back to the salon and educate them of this. Such a shame when people are not following the correct procedures/getting the right training as it gives it a bad name.I have never had a comment on gelish ruining nails, is always the opposite how it strengthens and makes them grow like mad :)
I hope you gave him your card! hahaha "Check him out"

Well Gelish doesn't ruin my nails. I have just done a removal of them this morning but then started decorating again. So hands are a little dry right this minute. But nails fab. View attachment 21741
I'm the same. My thumb nail always split about half way down on one side. Not any more!
My Mums nails are beyond recognition.
And I'm proud to say I have loads of happy customers.

Note to self; Must start taking more before and after shots.

Oh and also. I very rarely buff before Gelish. I've found there is no need with good prep. :D

Oh it's funny. I've had the same thing lately. It's the face they make at the suggestion on Gel polish followed by lots of "Really!" When you explain how it should be applied/removed. There is no doubt there is some confusion between products but it would seem Gelish and other good quality Gel polishes are getting dragged down in the confusion. It seems to some clients that the options are Shellac or "some kind of gel". I can honestly say I have not had a single complaint of damage regarding Gelish that I have applied or removed.
I do get a little fed up having to repeat "No it's not Shellac or even like Shellac. The products have similarities but............" and go on to explain. It's clear Shellac is a fantastic product. It's clear Gelish is a fantastic product. It's just a shame that bad service can tarnish their name so easily. Though let's face it. Providing a great standard of service and keeping clients well informed speaks volumes.

(This comment is not intended as Shellac Vs Gelish. It is more Good quality sevice Vs Bad.)

Pheiw! Glad to get that off my chest. lol

I use gelish too and constantly get enquirers about Shellac and have to explain the difference, I have to admit ive caved lol, i'm now starting to introduce Shellac too, after wearing Shellac on my own nails for the first time what i'm most impressed about is the longevity of the shine! Fantastic!

Ive had clients that have converted from having L&P's for years to gelish, and they love it, there nails are in great condition but you know what when I prep the nails for Gelish I do thorough cuticle work - scrubfresh well and thats it, I dont apply PH bonds, I don't remove shine and its lasts 2 - 3 weeks without any problems, but i'm now looking forward to stocking up on my Shellac so I can offer both.

Last edited:
I use gelish too and constantly get enquirers about Shellac and have to explain the difference, I have to admit ive caved lol, i'm now starting to introduce Shellac too, after wearing Shellac on my own nails for the first time what i'm most impressed about is the longevity of the shine! Fantastic!

Ive had clients that have converted from having L&P's for years to gelish, and they love it, there nails are in great condition but you know what when I prep the nails for Gelish I do thorough cuticle work - scrubfresh well and thats it, I dont apply PH bonds, I don't remove shine and its lasts 2 - 3 weeks without any problems, but i'm now looking forward to stocking up on my Shellac so I can offer both.
If I could afford it and wasn't mobile I'd stock everything! haha
I'm thinking I'd like to learn more before I take on anything else. No point in providing everything if I'm not doing each of them well. L&P Next for me I think.

Just had a person tell me gel polish ruined her nails. She didn't know that I did nails. I asked her how they were removed. "Oh, they used a drill" ! It makes me sad someone thinks its the fault of the product. I did my best to inform her one is never to use an e-file to remove gel polish. But I doubt she will give it another go.

Makes me so mad this cause it gives gel polish etc and e-files a bad name.:(

Just had another client tell me shellac ruined her nails! And her mums! I asked how it was removed and she said with the CND remover, pads and tinfoil. She said the therapist phoned up CND and they said it wasn't suitable for her? Would this be right? She said her nails crumbled! Anyway she said this is why she comes to me now. I told her I'm away to do shellac training because it's better for your nails and she said she doesn't want it! :(

I have had naturally bendy nails all my life, so always wore an l & p overlay. I recently had my l & p soaked off. I shorthened the length of my nails, and have been wearing Shellac since, teamed with daily applications of Solar Oil. I now have strong nails and a good length. I can't believe the difference! I no longer need the strength from l & p, and I wore it for years!! Shellac & solar oil really are amazing, my friend actually called me a Shellac Obsessive, lol.

Its annoying that a few bad techs are ruining the reputation of Shellac, so its up to the decent techs to educate and convert.

Lol wait for it.... Had a client tell me that the shellac I applied for her she needed redone while on holidays. The "tech" preceded to scrape and nip it off with cuticle nippers!!!! *cringe* She was relieved to be back home having her shellac applied and removed correctly!!

Had a client in the nail spa yesterday tell one of the nail techs that she was taking a break from Shellac. Her nails were all broken because of Shellac (had nothing to do with the fact that she had just come back from a camping trip...duh) and....and... her nails needed to "breathe."

Ugh!!!!

Lol wait for it.... Had a client tell me that the shellac I applied for her she needed redone while on holidays. The "tech" preceded to scrape and nip it off with cuticle nippers!!!! *cringe* She was relieved to be back home having her shellac applied and removed correctly!!

:eek:

I have heard from some of my clients about Shellac making their nails thin and brittle. I have done some research on the issue since so that I could have more knowledge on the subject. The reason most gels cause thinning is because they have primers and bonding agents that are used in these manicure processes which have acids in them. These acids can eat away at the nails causing them to thin. Recently I found a new gel product that I have been very happy with that does not use a basecoat or primer and so does not have those harmful acids. I would definitely recommend a gel system that does not use a primer or basecoat. The one that I have found and that I am using now is called Gel 2. Hope this helps!!!

I have heard from some of my clients about Shellac making their nails thin and brittle. I have done some research on the issue since so that I could have more knowledge on the subject. The reason most gels cause thinning is because they have primers and bonding agents that are used in these manicure processes which have acids in them. These acids can eat away at the nails causing them to thin. Recently I found a new gel product that I have been very happy with that does not use a basecoat or primer and so does not have those harmful acids. I would definitely recommend a gel system that does not use a primer or basecoat. The one that I have found and that I am using now is called Gel 2. Hope this helps!!!

Are you talking about gel enhancement products or gel polishes? Gel polishes and Shellac do not use primers or bonding agents.

I'm with you Gr8Nailz, too many good brands are being dragged down from rogue techs and this is what frustrates me the most but I get frustrated at this when any good brands products are dragged down from bad techs not just the gel polish products.

I'm a NSI Polish pro user and have been since it's launch and I too have many clients who's nails are in much better condition now.
Although in Polish pro's prep steps it is advised to buff natural nail I have found if I do my cuticle removal and other prep steps thoroughly, I don't need to buff at all and haven't done this for a long time now.
I do believe that by having that buffing step in the prep steps on any system, adds risk of damage occurring even with a well trained tech cause all it takes is for the tech to get sidetracked and apply to much pressure/buff to long and damage can occur in a blink of an eye.

As I type this, I'm questioning starting a battle with a You Tube beauty guru (as they seem to call themselves) because she has just uploaded a video talking about doing "Shellac at home" and she is using CND products and from what I can see, they seem to be original products but it's hard to fully tell.
What she instructs her followers to do nearly made me vomit and then I got so mad I gave myself a thumping headache, so I'll sit on my thoughts for another day and see how I feel, cause we can't take on everybody like this but this lady has a huge following of hundreds of thousands, so that is a large chunk of beauty/nail clients in the USA.

At least the ones of us who do the right thing in every step can hold our heads high and that is what matters, cause I know I can go to sleep at night with a clean slate:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back