Gel Polish with OPI Shatter Polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caxtonsarah

Reaction score
Hi - i've read on here before that you can use OPI Shatter Polish with gel polish i.e. do nails as normal and add shatter polish after final colour coat and before top coat curing - anyone had experience with this? Does it work OK?

From my understanding, and as has been mentioned before in previous threads, crackle/shatter polishes do not work over gel polishes. This is because they only react with emulsions in gloss type paints.

I have tried many times to use shatter with gel polish with no luck at all. It doesn't shatter its just a solid coat that looks weird :) you can however use it with any brand of nail polish. My co worker was convinced you had to use it with only OPI.

Noodle is correct. From what I understand shatter is a water based product that reacts to all normal oil based nail polish. It will not work with any gel polish even OPI Axxium.

If you want to use shatter over any gel polish brand, apply an ordinary topcoat to your completed gel polished nail and then shatter.

I have not tried but have been told you can carry out your complete process with gel polish including cured top coat apply base coat, shatter and normal polish top coat!

I tried shatter polish over gel polish a few weeks ago, it doesn't work.

As has been said, do your gel polish with it's top coat, then a coat of clear polish and the shatter on top.

Over gel polish it just turns into an odd looking smear! Not really a look that will ever take off :lol:

Brilliant - thanks everyone will give it a go with OPI base coat over my gel top coat, then shatter, then OPI top - and see what happens.:lol:

Latest posts

Back