Gellux removal!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayleyxx

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum so don't really know what I'm doing or wether I'm posting to the right places but I'm in need of some help!!

I have been qualified in soft gel nail application for around 2 months now and I'm having some serious issues (with my own nails) following using Gellux. I was trained using the gellux brand and so I know the correct application/ removal.

I removed my gel polish with the gellux remover and found that whilst my nails where in the foils I could feel my nails bending to find that when I took off the foils all my nails had bent in on themselves and became very flimsy resulting in my index finger nail breaking very low and all my other fingernails splitting and being very fragile. I put this down to incorrect removal although followed each step correctly.
I gave my nails some time to re-heal although found it very difficult to do simple tasks with out them splitting very low.

So after my nails got back to a healthy state I decided to re apply and do a new set on myself, once it was time to remove I did the same process and again, my nails have bent, became flimsy and on the other hand (to the one previous) my whole nail on the index finger has came off! They are so sore and I cannot do anything with them. Why is this happening !! I wouldn't want my customers to have this so I'm afraid of applying polishes to them. Could I be having a reaction to the gellux remover? I'd appreciate any comments advise given xx thank you in advance, also have attached a picture of my finger nails on my right hand which includes the nail which has come off. I'm so sad xx

Hi, i trained with Gellux and bought a load of their gels. Hated it!! I never had the problem you are having, but, i just couldn't remove the stuff. It was removing parts of the nail when trying to get it off. I got rid and changed to a different brand xx

Did you buff your natural nail before application?

I don't use Gellux but soft, bendy nails, splitting at the hypernychium spells over buffed, over thinned nails to me. The acetone in the remover will dehydrate the nails which will cause them to bend as they dry out. There will always be a small amount of bending but if its that bad I would suggest the nails are overthinned by heavy handed buffing prior to application.

Thanks for your reply Trinity, yes I did, but not conciderably, I only filed my shape and removed the shine. I don't know if the problem stems from when I did the course, and the lady I was paired with as we had to practice on each other really filled and buffed my nail down. They are so sore and I really don't know what to do next, I'm afraid to use the remover again if I ever do re apply any polish :(

Thanks for your reply donnamich, I have heard a lot about Gellux and the issues it has. The removal is a lot easier with their 'easy off base coat' but it still isn't good great. I am half tempted to move onto another brand but I have a lot of Gellux now, and their colour range is lovely. Do you recommend any other soft gel brands that are a lot easy with removal? Thanks :)

Thanks for your reply Trinity, yes I did, but not conciderably, I only filed my shape and removed the shine. I don't know if the problem stems from when I did the course, and the lady I was paired with as we had to practice on each other really filled and buffed my nail down. They are so sore and I really don't know what to do next, I'm afraid to use the remover again if I ever do re apply any polish :(

If your nails are sore then they've definitely been over filed, and if you keep putting products on that require more buffing it's only going to get worse. Its not unusual to over buff nails when training, we've all done it, usually to ourselves or our training partner in the beginning. Once done you never do it again as its a hard lesson well learned.

You need to let your nails grow back through, you can't 'fix' over buffed nails, you could try IBX which is a strengthening treatment but I suspect this would be too intense for your nails at the moment as it would probably make them brittle and this will cause further snapping. You need to treat them very gently, you need a good quality cuticle oil to encourage growth, I'd leave the gel polishes alone for a while and just use a good quality nail polish for a little protection until they feel less sore. There is no fast route to fixing them.

If your nails are sore then they've definitely been over filed, and if you keep putting products on that require more buffing it's only going to get worse. Its not unusual to over buff nails when training, we've all done it, usually to ourselves or our training partner in the beginning. Once done you never do it again as its a hard lesson well learned.

You need to let your nails grow back through, you can't 'fix' over buffed nails, you could try IBX which is a strengthening treatment but I suspect this would be too intense for your nails at the moment as it would probably make them brittle and this will cause further snapping. You need to treat them very gently, you need a good quality cuticle oil to encourage growth, I'd leave the gel polishes alone for a while and just use a good quality nail polish for a little protection until they feel less sore. There is no fast route to fixing them.

Thanks again for your reply. I feel a bit better now with some advise. I am finding it extremely difficult to do simple tasks as they are so flimsy and catch on everything. I have been applying cuticle oil so will carry on with that. Could you recommend a nail polish that would give my nails a little protection ? Thanks

Thanks again for your reply. I feel a bit better now with some advise. I am finding it extremely difficult to do simple tasks as they are so flimsy and catch on everything. I have been applying cuticle oil so will carry on with that. Could you recommend a nail polish that would give my nails a little protection ? Thanks

You could do with a nail strengthener, not hardener. You need to check the ingredients, anything with formaldehyde in is a no-no as this is a hardener not a strengthener and it will just make them more brittle. In the short term and as a fast fix I know the Sally Hanson range have some good products and they are readily available on the high street. Any polish polish will do at the moment, as long as you use a base and top coat, all you want to do is provide a barrier against the heat and cold from water and the weather and to stop the edges catching and splitting. Your oil is probably your best friend at the moment and more important than a layer of polish.

Thanks for your reply donnamich, I have heard a lot about Gellux and the issues it has. The removal is a lot easier with their 'easy off base coat' but it still isn't good great. I am half tempted to move onto another brand but I have a lot of Gellux now, and their colour range is lovely. Do you recommend any other soft gel brands that are a lot easy with removal? Thanks :)
I am using candy coat now. i have no problems at all and removal is so easy, it just crumbles off. I've had a few issues with deliveries though. The new Magpie gels are supposed to be really good too, they've just been released. I use their glitters and their customer service is amazing so i think i might be giving their gels a go in the near future xx

I am using candy coat now. i have no problems at all and removal is so easy, it just crumbles off. I've had a few issues with deliveries though. The new Magpie gels are supposed to be really good too, they've just been released. I use their glitters and their customer service is amazing so i think i might be giving their gels a go in the near future xx

I have a few candy coat colours! But havent got around to using them. They are a lovely pigment and have a very good range of colours. How long are they lasting? I'll have to have a look at magpie. Once my nails have grown back :( x

Sorry another question, with candy coat are you using there base, top coat and bond? What remover works well for you? X thanks x

Sorry another question, with candy coat are you using there base, top coat and bond? What remover works well for you? X thanks x
Im getting a few weeks out of them. I use their base and top coats. I only use a bond if someone has really thin bendy nails. And i use asp remover. Another really good company is saint nails i have a few of their colour changing gels xx

Im getting a few weeks out of them. I use their base and top coats. I only use a bond if someone has really thin bendy nails. And i use asp remover. Another really good company is saint nails i have a few of their colour changing gels xx

I'll give it a go thank you Hun xx

Latest posts

Back