Getting back in to beauty! Advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shellp90x

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I'm new on here and hoping for some advice.

I'm qualified in Level 1 & 2 in Beauty Therapy but haven't done anything with it for years. Stupid I know!! I got in to Lettings for years, but now have 2 children and really want to get back into it and work from home.

I have ordered a Beauty Therapy book to refresh my memory and I am going to practice all the basics such as facials and manicures on my friends etc.

I would then like to do the following courses too:
Shellac/Gelish
Spray tanning
Body Massage
HD Brows
Dermaplaning
Microdermabrasion
(Eventually lashes too)

Do you think that is a good range of treatments to provide?

Or would you reccomend any more?

Thank you!

Definitely do Shellac / Gel nails course, but other than that I'd spend your money on setting up rather than further courses at this stage. The best thing I ever did was create a website straight away. The majority of my initial bookings were online. it can be difficult getting your name out there if you're home based, so I'd always suggest a website with lots of photos of your set up and info about you and your treatments. Also list yourself in as many online places as possible and try your best to get yourself high up on Google.

Then once you've got people through the door and know the type of clientele you'll attract, will help you to decide what treatments to go for next. I was surprised when I first set up just how many older clients (and those looking for natural treatments) I have, so lash extensions and HD brows would be a waste of money for me. I also got quite a few enquiries for prenatal massage, so although I'd never considered doing it before, I quickly realised that it was something that I needed to add to my treatments.

Also think about space, if you're working from home and have someone in for a spray tan, then someone in for a body massage, then someone in for a pedicure, do you have the room for the equipment and to comfortably do all the treatments?

Like you said the best thing is to practise practise practise. When I set up at home, I did two trial days where I booked in only friends and family so that I could see what worked and what didn't. I offered them a generous discount which kept them happy and it meant that I got paid for testing things out. It also helped with my confidence before I opened to the public. Good luck x

Latest posts

Back