Getting Experience

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picklegem

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having real trouble getting any employment in a salon.

I am qualified NVQ level 2 and IHBC in beauty and can't get a job in a salon anywhere, i apply to lots every week some advertising and some not.

I have quite a few interviews and most come back and say they want someone with at least a years experience, I want to know hoe do you get "Experience" if you can't get employment?? :irked:

If anyone can give me some advice or any info at all i would really appreciate it as i'm getting really fed up :cry:

Love N Hugs
xxxxxxxxxxx

picklegem said:
Hello,

I am having real trouble getting any employment in a salon.

I am qualified NVQ level 2 and IHBC in beauty and can't get a job in a salon anywhere, i apply to lots every week some advertising and some not.

I have quite a few interviews and most come back and say they want someone with at least a years experience, I want to know hoe do you get "Experience" if you can't get employment?? :irked:

If anyone can give me some advice or any info at all i would really appreciate it as i'm getting really fed up :cry:

Love N Hugs
xxxxxxxxxxx

Chin up mate - i know how you feel, i've heard this so often myself its like what came first the chicken or the egg :irked:

Dont give up as some one out there will see your potential and snap you up..

for advise i dont know what to say really but keep on going and I am sure the other Geeks will have some good advise for you...

I have had a similar problem!
have you thought about doing level 3 beauty? the salons near me want level 3 beauty atleast and/or at least 1 years experience.
like u sed- if u cant get a job, how do u build up your experience?!!!!!!!
level 3 includes electrical facials (which is really good) and there are alot of salons which offer this, therefore want therapists that can offer these treatments.
im doing it at the mo but its part time so taking me 3 years to complete! its 1 year full time. hth!

If they are looking for level 2 experience then that is what you can offer. Can't you counterract their demand for experience by saying that by NOT having worked elsewhere you won't have picked up another salon's way of working and so will be more adaptable to learning their ways. Just because someone is experienced doesn't make them good at their job either.

If they won't give you an interview then why not bowl into the salon and speak to the owner, that takes balls and shows your commitment and determination. They can only say no (again!) after all. Remember that people make up their mind about a potential employee within the first few minutes so make sure you look fab, speak clearly and confidently (even if you are quaking in your boots) and smile.

Salons that only employ people with experience are taking the easy option and don't really show a commitment to nurturing and training their employees JMHO.
But I agree most salons seem to prefer that you have level 3. Hope you find something soon.

Salons that only employ people with experience are taking the easy option and don't really show a commitment to nurturing and training their employees JMHO.

I wish more salon owners thought like you! :D x

I'd rather take on someone with little or no experience. They are so pleased to get the opportunity that they are more loyal and it is really satisfying to see their confidence and ability grow. They are more willing to listen and learn and not be a cocky know it all. They are fresh out of college so have all the latest techniques and have very few bad habits. And if they do want to move on to more than I can offer then I know that I have helped to prepare them for it.

Sassy Hassy said:
If they are looking for level 2 experience then that is what you can offer. Can't you counterract their demand for experience by saying that by NOT having worked elsewhere you won't have picked up another salon's way of working and so will be more adaptable to learning their ways. Just because someone is experienced doesn't make them good at their job either.
when i went for my interview for a nail salon job.... i was like Gem just out of college and only with my level 2 in beauty and nails
i thought they wanted someone with experience and i had no experience at all.... but in fact like Sassy said i was just what they were looking for someone who they could train their way and im glad....they have shaped me along the way to being the tech i am :)

Gem, chin up hunnio..... just remember what we have talked abt before.... keep looking and dont give up!! ;)

Jess
xox

I agree chin up and keep trying you will find something in the end.

Another thing that would add to your credability is to become mobile. Being mobile may be hard at first and there is a set up cost but you will have a client base. You can start with family and friends and get them to reccomend others. Even if you are small You will now have experience of running your own business, appointment taking, stocking, customer service and the experience gained from the procedures. Okay you want to earn it not spend it but you will always have the skills and if you lay out for a bed and wax pot if you ever found yourself out of work or might need extra cash for a holiday you can work in the evenings and weekends.

All hairdressers know that family and friends will b sniffing round them when theres a wedding or outing - Beauticians are the same.

If its an option I say go for it and with the shows coming up you can bag yourself a real bargain.

Good Luck!

hi i would definatley say have a go at being mobile /or from home , at least then you can say you have experience,
have you thought of doing a portfolio of before and after pictures so you can take it with you , even if its on friends and family , at least it will show your results , like eyebrow shaping , waxing , make up etc ,
hth love dee

Latest posts

Back