Getting rid of mahogany tone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myhair

Reaction score
If your hair was dyed too dark (dark brown when you have medium brown hair) with an unnatural mahogany red tone to it, how can you get rid of the mahogany without stripping your hair? I mean would a toner with a lighter brown color (and no red tones) cover the mahogany? Or is a toner semi-pemanet meaning the same mahogany color would come back after it washed out in a month or so?

You need the correct colour to counteract it. Has it been coloured wrong

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

If your hair was dyed too dark (dark brown when you have medium brown hair) with an unnatural mahogany red tone to it, how can you get rid of the mahogany without stripping your hair? I mean would a toner with a lighter brown color (and no red tones) cover the mahogany? Or is a toner semi-pemanet meaning the same mahogany color would come back after it washed out in a month or so?

Welcome to the site.

Please may I just point out that the hair professionals who use this site will not provide detailed technical information with regard to attempts at colouring at home.

It would be far better for you to seek the services of a qualified professional or alternatively, attend a local training school where students are supervised.

I would no way color my own hair.

I do not know what to tell my hair stylist what to do since she was asking me what I wanted to do. The brown is one shade too dark. And I want to get rid of the unnatural mahogany.

I do not know what a toner in. Is that a semi-permanent dye that washes out within a month meaning the mahogany color will come back? Or is a tint the same thing as a toner?

---

I read the article below. It sounds like I need green-based ash brown hair dye, which is not toner? Does ash brown dye automatically have green in it? And is this permanent dye or semi-permanent dye? Please read to the end of the article under section Same level hair color.

http://maffewjames.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-remove-red-hair-dye

Last edited:
Just tell her you want to get rid of the reddy colour and its to dark?

I did tell her that, but she wants me to tell her.

Is the dye mentioned in the article in the section I mentioned semi-permanent dye or permanent dye all over the hair?

I have a client who used to have a rich Mahogany brown but recently has wanted a flatter brown shade. We use a Demi permanent colour on her and I have successfully neutralised the warmth on the mids and ends by by using a shade to counteract the red. You should be able to do it without resorting to a permanent and it will leave the hair in nicer condition but you might find you need to have it refreshed 4-6 weeks as it will fade and the red will start to come through again. I use a different formula for her roots though as otherwise her roots would be too flat. You are right in that you need a green based tone. It doesn't look particularly appealing on the shade chart but the purpose of it is to neutralise the red. Your hairdresser should be able to select a suitable product from whatever range they use to do the job, (if they know their colour wheel!).

Thanks. Over time, does semi-permanent eventually build up and stain the hair so I will not have to keep trying this corrective fix for the next 3-4 years or whenever this hair grows out and is cut off.

And is semi-permanent the same thing as toner? I read that toner only lasts 4 or 6 shampoos while semi-permanent color lasts 4-6 weeks.

Thanks. Over time, does semi-permanent eventually build up and stain the hair so I will not have to keep trying this corrective fix for the next 3-4 years or whenever this hair grows out and is cut off.

And is semi-permanent the same thing as toner? I read that toner only lasts 4 or 6 shampoos while semi-permanent color lasts 4-6 weeks.

Semi permanent lies a bit deeper than a toner. A toner wont be sufficient. Your hairdresser should not be asking you what to do i think you should find a new one

Will I need to get the same ash brown (with green) semi-permanent for the next 3-4 years to keep the mahogany out? When you get your roots touched up, is semi-permanent hair stylists usually put on rest of your hair? Or is this something that is done anyway?

Welcome to the site.

Please may I just point out that the hair professionals who use this site will not provide detailed technical information with regard to attempts at colouring at home.

It would be far better for you to seek the services of a qualified professional or alternatively, attend a local training school where students are supervised.

Myhair, please see Noodles (site moderator) post above , we are not allowed to give you technical and chemical advise to a non pro on this forum

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sorry for not being clear. I am not asking for advice on how to color my hair. I am asking if semi-permanent dye builds up in hair over time? Or will it leave a slight stain over time (so one will not have to keep correcting hair color with this for next 3-4 years).

If you go see a stylist that knows what their doing then 1 appointment will sort out your issue, 3-4 years is definatley not the timescale to remove a red tone from your hair! 1 appointment is sufficent, as for how long a semi will last depends on a number of factors most importantly the porosity, it won't benefit you in any way if we explain how and why toners and semis work, you just need to see a hairdresser that can correct your underlying tone

"Ash" is not green..
I think you should go to a new hairdresser if they'r not sure what to do, as they really should no what they are doing, it's quite simple what your asking and any qualified hairdresser should no the basics of fixing this x

I do not know if it is that the hair stylist did not know what to do. She gave me some choices like stripping the hair, toner, or adding gold highlights to the red and asked me which one I wanted to do. I do not know why she suggested a toner instead of semi-permanent dye unless some hair stylists use the term toner when they are referring to semi-permanent dye.

I do not know if it is that the hair stylist did not know what to do. She gave me some choices like stripping the hair, toner, or adding gold highlights to the red and asked me which one I wanted to do. I do not know why she suggested a toner instead of semi-permanent dye unless some hair stylists use the term toner when they are referring to semi-permanent dye.

Aw no wonder your asking then! That's not very fair to make you pick, she should give u options but then come to the best desicion with you! None of the above is the way it should be done tho sorry, maybe you need to find a new stylist?

A semi will not solve your problem for long, as it will wash out over time and as your hair grows, you will still have to colour the root area to match.

Unfortunately, you also risk having an obvious band where your existing colour finishes against the new hair growth.

Definitely find yourself a good colourist who knows what they're doing.

Latest posts

Back