Getting started setting up a business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazdiane

Reaction score
Hi, I'm newly qualified and now I don't know where to start getting set up lol.
I have a 2 year old and work a couple of evenings a week so it's gonna be hard to find the time to do nails and I am still quite slow at the moment, but I really want it to take off as I love doing nails. I know things will be easier when my little one goes to nursery but should I wait before registering as self employed as I feel I will be losing too much money.
Can you get insurance if you're not registered? If you can any recommendations?
Also need a name if anyone has any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Hi there, id say practice on family friends etc get your time and confidence up get your insurance (I'm with salon gold) first.
Good luck x

It also doesn't cost anything to register with HMRC as self employed and its pretty straight forward. Insurance should come at quite a reasonable price (I'm with The Guild), and sometimes the place you trained with will have a special offer with an insurance firm to help you get sorted.

It also doesn't cost anything to register with HMRC as self employed and its pretty straight forward. Insurance should come at quite a reasonable price (I'm with The Guild), and sometimes the place you trained with will have a special offer with an insurance firm to help you get sorted.
I know it doesn't cost anything to register but I will have to start paying ni as soon as I'm registered and at the moment I don't have any clients til my name is out there so can't afford to have outgoings without something to cover it. My training did suggest insurance that they use but they come out quite expensive so thought I would ask around.
I had a look on direct line website as I have car and home with them but to be honest it all just confused me

You only have to pay NI relative to your earnings, see https://www.gov.uk/self-employed-national-insurance-rates

I'm working full time in another industry and only do nails as side because I enjoy it, but I wanted to get all set up so my books are right from the start. :)
If you work in another industry then you will be paying ni in that so you won't have to pay it if your earnings are low in another.
I done a quote online and put 0 in the profit and it still came up that I would have to pay £12 a month class 2 insurance. I have spoken to a few people that know a little about it and they all said that I will have to pay it. It's so confusing.
I only work a few hrs a week in a pub in the evening as I have a little girl to look after so I don't earn enough to pay it through my employer.

Might be worth giving HMRC a call just to be sure, they should be able to tell you information regarding your situation and what you'd be entitled to pay. It's better to know for sure and to be less confused :)

Yes I agree it is best to contact hmrc as I would think you would only need to register once your business starts trading so when you start receiving money as I wouldn't want to pay ni if i wasn't receiving any income.

I'm new to it all but I am practicing on family/ friends to gain confidenc and not charging money, experience etc once I am ready I will start advertising and charging clients then I will register with hmrc at this point. I do also have a part time job so I will need to contact hmrc as to how it works being employed part time then also working self employed.

God luck

Should be good luck

Latest posts

Back