Go for spray tan or stick with nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TweezerHappy

Reaction score
I'm looking for a bit of guidance from any geeks who might have been where I am now.

I've saved up a bit of money. My plan was to buy a spray tan kit and try to build up a mobile spray tan business so that maybe in a years time I might be in a better position to leave my full time job and go to college full time. Although, that's not the only reason why I'd want to do spray tanning. I think it's something I'd be good at and really enjoy.

I've just completed a gel nail course and have started doing my friends nails. I'm doing a friend from work's nails next week. She's been off for a while so will be catching up with people and showing off her lovely nails. I think that might drum up some more business.

In September I'll be doing a few other part time courses in the evening at college. Nail Care, Acrylic and Facial Care.

My question is this. Would I be best postponing spray tan for a while and concentrating on nails?

I'd like to buy a proper mobile nail desk and a wee stool on castors I saw from Ikea.

Then I'll have kit to buy for my courses in September. I would also like a mobile couch for facial care and a trainer hand.

My problem is I'm so impatient and want everything now!

What do you think? Spray tan or concentrate on nails? Opinions much appreciated.

Thanks
Lx
Posted via Mobile Device

This is one of the busiest times of the year for tans so if you did do it now you would make your money back and start to see a profit quickly which in turn would help you to pay for all the other items you want,
if you charged £20 per tan,
do 20 tans you have earned £400,
do a few spray tan parties and you will soon double that,
jmho but hth :hug:

i agree with loubylou, deffinatly best time to do spray tanning, you could even charge £10-£15 for your first few just so you get into it, if your confdent enough though just go for £20!!

i have just got a new job and they've trained me 'inhouse' for spray tanning and i love it already!!

do enjoy!!

oooooooh dear this is a difficult one and unfortunately and to be fair much more information would be needed to offer any sound advice.

The main factor is of course finances.

Sometimes (and we all do this) we start off on a direction and then veer off..now that can work but sometimes it is wise to master your first stage of developing your business.in this case nails...you've just started..looking at more courses and now thinking of setting up a spray tan side to the business....have you mastered nails and fully grown that side of the business already??

Yes the other postings are quiet right..spray tanning is going through a bit of a boom right now and is quick,easy and relatively cheap to get going...but.....have you fully exploited the first stage of your business which if so will give you a customer base to then offer alternative treatments to.

If of course money is no object then,,,hell what the heck go for it :hug:

In reality if youve just set off you should watch what,where and how you spend your valuble and hard earned cash.

Not wanting to be a pooper ...and not knowing all the facts...it could be wise to really focuse on your nails buisness..grow that and then look at alternative services to offer a by then established customer base who know and trust you and who would be more willing to have a new treatment by you.

Taking things step by step can get you to the finishing line as quickly as runnig to quickly...remember the tortouise and the hare fable which not only is relevent in general life but in buisness also :hug:

Last edited:
I also agree with the above ladies its certainly the busiest time of the year and then around Christmas is also another busy time.
Tanning i think is a bonus to any beauty business as its quick, easy and busy. The training required is usually a 1 day course.
Its certainly worth doing, Ive been tanning now for 2 years and now a trainer and its the bread and butter of my business and its what 99% of my clients come to me for. Ive made my money back 20 times over maybe more.

You can also focus on nails too, i completed my gel nails course in May and I'm able to focus on both.

hths x

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I'm out at the mo. Will reply later when I get home.

Lx
Posted via Mobile Device

I have to agree with Colin. I have learned so many thing but mastered none as the saying goes. Colin is giving some great advice. I have bought so Much stuff that it Never gets used, so then I try somethinng else.My husband has given me the same advice master one then go further. Yes i'm like you I WANT IT NOW.....take a step back and really think what you want.
I hope i'm not poo pooing you're enthusiasm.

Debbie
Posted via Mobile Device

oooooooh dear this is a difficult one and unfortunately and to be fair much more information would be needed to offer any sound advice.

The main factor is of course finances.

Sometimes (and we all do this) we start off on a direction and then veer off..now that can work but sometimes it is wise to master your first stage of developing your business.in this case nails...you've just started..looking at more courses and now thinking of setting up a spray tan side to the business....have you mastered nails and fully grown that side of the business already??

Yes the other postings are quiet right..spray tanning is going through a bit of a boom right now and is quick,easy and relatively cheap to get going...but.....have you fully exploited the first stage of your business which if so will give you a customer base to then offer alternative treatments to.

If of course money is no object then,,,hell what the heck go for it :hug:

In reality if youve just set off you should watch what,where and how you spend your valuble and hard earned cash.

Not wanting to be a pooper ...and not knowing all the facts...it could be wise to really focuse on your nails buisness..grow that and then look at alternative services to offer a by then established customer base who know and trust you and who would be more willing to have a new treatment by you.

Taking things step by step can get you to the finishing line as quickly as runnig to quickly...remember the tortouise and the hare fable which not only is relevent in general life but in buisness also :hug:

I totally get what you're saying about building up a client base for nails then adding spray tan, however, I only feel confident doing friends nails right now.

I think it might be quicker to build up a spray tan clientelle then introduce them to nails when I feel confident.

I' still undecided

I think it will be quicker for ou to build a client base in tans and then introducing the nails.

A bonus with tanning is tanning parties too.
x

I think it will be quicker for ou to build a client base in tans and then introducing the nails.

A bonus with tanning is tanning parties too.
x

Violet, that's what I was thinking, but then I think if I'm busy doing tanning when do I practice nails?

I'll have a think some more.

Thanks guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

When it comes to tanning you can be so busy but still have time i set my working hours to 10am-8pm if your doing tans from home its usually 15-30 minute slots and mobile around 30-45 minute slots. You will find that with tanning you get certain days where everyone will want a tan and some days where no1 wants a tan
e.g My most popular days are thursdays and fridays im always busy with tans on these days. And mondays and tuesdays i rarely have tan bookings.

So in the time your not tanning you can practice.
x

OMG, I still don.t know.

I thought I had decided on nails. Been looking on ebay for trainer hands and nail tables.
Then I'm reading all these threads about tanning and I still really want to get into it.

Then there's a part of me wants to take the money, hit the shops and go crazy.

If I were to go for spray tan I don't know which machine I'd go for. T200 or maximist. (is that the correct terminology?) I get the impression most people love the T200. Does the maximist have any benefits over the T200? Is it just price?
Posted via Mobile Device

OMG, I still don.t know.

I thought I had decided on nails. Been looking on ebay for trainer hands and nail tables.
Then I'm reading all these threads about tanning and I still really want to get into it.

Then there's a part of me wants to take the money, hit the shops and go crazy.

If I were to go for spray tan I don't know which machine I'd go for. T200 or maximist. (is that the correct terminology?) I get the impression most people love the T200. Does the maximist have any benefits over the T200? Is it just price?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi
I purchased the Iwata Silverjet Airbrush system about 7 weeks ago when i initially did a spray tan course. I loved the machine up until Tuesday last week when i did my Fake Bake training and used the 'pig' machine! It usually takes me 15-20 mins to spray a client with the Airbrush, and to be honest there is quite a lot of overspray. I've adjusted the machine several times and think i have got it at the right setting and i now wear a mask becasue i get the tan solution up my nose! lol After using the PIG it only took me 4-5 mins to spray someone! I couldn't believe it - and there was hardly any overspray. I have now decided to invest in the PIG and keep my airbrush system as a spare. I think, the maximist is simialr to the pig, i'm not very sure but i'm sure someone else will tell you on here. What i would say is dont rush into buying equipment like i did, research and get lots of advice. I wish now i had waited and got the pig first off.
xx
:)

Latest posts

Back