Going self employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mel77

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need a bit or advice if possible, im thinking of maybe going self employed to see if i can earn a bit more dosh! there is a room going at a hair salon, the job is practically mine if i want it. The women that owns it would want 40% of what i make each week, and i would have to supply all my own equipment. Id only be working about 4 days a week, and could fit in 4 sets a day,(but not guaranteed obviously) not sure what i would charge yet though. And i've also got to considered tax an NI. It sounds Ideal untill you think about what you have to pay out! It all seem so complicated, and im also on tax credits so god knows what will happen to this.
Im just not sure what to do.:confused:

Sorry hun I can't help you but good luck with whatever you choose to do!

There was a post about tax credits (working and child - I don't get them so don't know anything about them) yesterday or the day before.

Kittenclaws seems to have it sussed if I remember rightly, search back through her posts using the search option (you can chose to search by username).

You would be better off calling the Inland Revenue as they are really helpful and can give you some advice before you make the leap.

Good Luck with whichever way you choose to go

Trin
xx

Thank yous...I think I read that post earlier!!!

40% seems high to me if you are supplying your own products too! Cant you negotiate with her? maybe offer her a percentage whilst you build up a client base then switch to a daily/weekly rate? x

the inland revenue have a tax credits calculator on their website, you can muck about with diff amounts and stuff. 40% seems v high, from what ive read most people pay about £50 a week. plus, this is what i realised lately, its all v well putting on new sets a £30 -£40 a go but what about when its refills (which eventually 95% of your business will be) you'l be earning less! im going to try aqnd negotiate a room shortly and i was talking to my supplier and she says go on a free trial for 2 weeks or offer them 10 - 15%!!!

I thought it was quite high to when i worked it all out!

I think i will do a bit of negotiating.

Thanks xx

Hi 40% does seem high...be a different matter if she was supplying products for you, I paid £50 a week at the salon I rented a table at.

Hi,

I'm self employed, been out mobile for almost a year.

40% is way too much. You'd be better negotiating a weekly rate if poss and try & base it on numbeer of clients, and look to increase it as you get busier.

My accountant told me I don't have to pay tax in my first year of trading although I do pay NI contributions, which are not too much each week.

Great thanks for advice....been told that she is really tight anyway....one of the hair stylists in there is self employed and she takes 50% off her, i couldnt believe it!!!

40% is a bit high. Hairdressing rates are usually set at 34% on average
Your salon owner must feel she has the clientelle to justify this rate and the current hairdressers are happy to go along, so maybe she is justified afterall.
Every area is different
You didnt say what location the salon was or what sort of clientell it attracts.

If the owner is keen to have you on board then compromise with 35%.
(start with 30% and then submit to 35%, as if your compromising yourself too)

Remember, always be prepared to walk away and that way you will never be too disappointed!

Good luck hun!

40% is taking the P***!

25% is plenty for her to take.

Remember once youve got a client base you'll be bringing clients into her salon too!

Don't be walked over! Your a professional business woman & you should be confident to negotiate and meet her/him half way.

Good Luck!

sorry i can't spell

Latest posts

Back