Great tips-3 curling iron mistakes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellyle257

Reaction score
Super helpful, and I am definitely guilty of #1 and #3. I’m great at making overdone curls but am still working to master the pretty loose waves.
-------
I saw a lot of the same mistakes made by so many women when I was teaching hair classes. Sometimes just the littlest change can make an enormous difference in how your curls look and last throughout the day. And while individualized attention may be the most helpful when learning how to perfect curling your own hair, I thought I’d share the 3 most common mistakes here!

Mistake #1: Cranking the heat on your iron all the way up to the absolute hottest.This is not always necessary and you should really try curling your hair at about half the heat just to see what it does! You may actually really love the softer effect.

Mistake #2: Putting the iron in at your root, sliding it down the hair, and then rolling it up from the bottom. This will give you nice rounded and curled ends, but will leave your root area very flat! When you put the iron in at your root, begin twisting it and feed the ends of your hair into it. You can watch a video on how to do that here.

Mistake #3: Curling each piece in the same direction. This isn’t ALWAYS a mistake, but if you want the look of looser and textured curls, switch the direction you are curling each time to make sure the curls don’t blend together as one!

I hope those tips help!

I've moved this post to Ask a Pro as these tips are probably intended to help clients at home recreate a salon look rather than trained hairdressing geeks, who really should know the difference between curling hair on and off base. ;)

Latest posts

Back