Grit for gel nail removal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabyPyg

Reaction score
Hi all,

I sometimes get gels at a salon and sometimes apply/remove at home myself (I'm not a professional). Which grit should I use to file away the top shiny layer prior removal with acetone. I'm currently using the buff side of a 4-way buffer that came with my gel kit but I think it's a very bog standard buffer that you could buy in the chemist and not professional or specific enough for the task.
I don't want to ask my nail lady - looks a bit cheeky as it basically admits to her I sometimes do a DIY job to save £.

I've done some research and I keep seeing 100 grit and 180 grit - opinions are mixed. Any help would be hugely appreciated as not being a professional I don't want to use the wrong grit and end up buffing all the way down to my natural nail.

Thank you!

Hi all,

I sometimes get gels at a salon and sometimes apply/remove at home myself (I'm not a professional). Which grit should I use to file away the top shiny layer prior removal with acetone. I'm currently using the buff side of a 4-way buffer that came with my gel kit but I think it's a very bog standard buffer that you could buy in the chemist and not professional or specific enough for the task.
I don't want to ask my nail lady - looks a bit cheeky as it basically admits to her I sometimes do a DIY job to save £.

I've done some research and I keep seeing 100 grit and 180 grit - opinions are mixed. Any help would be hugely appreciated as not being a professional I don't want to use the wrong grit and end up buffing all the way down to my natural nail.

Thank you!

While we appreciate that you are trying to save yourself £'s by removing gel nails yourself, in the same way as you feel it's a bit cheeky to ask your nail lady, you are asking the nail professionals who use this forum to provide exactly the same advice instead, which is identical isn't it?

To be totally honest, you'd do better to have your gel nails removed by a qualified professional, since otherwise you run the risk of causing yourself some serious nail damage, which I assume is what you are trying to avoid.

Sorry not to be able to be of more help, but I'm sure you will understand what I am saying here.

I understand your point and didn't mean to cause any offence.

Latest posts

Back