Groupon advice needed please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

la belle vie

Reaction score
Helloo fellow geekers and geekettes,

I have just found out today that the company owner has put a groupon deal on for today!! So far we have sold 30 and its only 9.30. She has capped it at 340 and we will be soooo busy if they all sell.
We are doing a facail massage and mini mani. I know a lot of people on here are dead against groupon but as there are 3 of us at this salon and we are dead at the mo she is trying to cover wages.

I'm asking for advice from people that have done a deal with them or someone similar, I know how it works and that the idea is that we upsell when they make a booking and then try to retail but just wondered if anyone has anymore hints and tips how to make it work for the salon not just greedy groupon.

If anyone knows of a similar post to point me to im happy to read that, im just starting to panic in case we ARE NOT PREPARED ENOUGH XX

I think there is little you can do to prepare. What I would say is leave some spaces each day for regular customers aswell as you need these people.

In the spa I worked in when I had a groupon in I would say whe retailing "With the money you have saved today on your treatments why not take away this product" that can work for gift vouchers too.

Good luck, you need it lol! X

Thanks, for that, would you say that many people would buy products? Did you find it useful for your spa?

Hmm I still can't decide what I think of Groupon. A great way of getting new faces through the door and I agree a great opportunikty to upsell and retail BUT nad its a big one everyone knows you get deal chasers so they go from one deal to the nextwith no loyalty meaning no return business for us and thats what you want from a new client. However it is 340 people you can wow so thery talk to 340 friends then they tell their friends etc etc etc :(:)

I'd say really force a sale on them, they are after a deal to save money so they probably won't purchase, when using any product tell them what ur using, why and how much it is to purchase. Do you have packages made up of all facial creams and lotions on retail at a slightly lower price than the individual product? I'd say after telling them all info etc... At the till point out how much they have saved (although they are ripping u off) and offer a product, such as eg. " as you have saved £35, why not take this cream iv used today for £5 or the whole system for £25 which again saves £5 off te individual price" obviously full in the price's as you would have them, imagine your a door to door sales person ad have to push on them to make a penny for the day, immaginr YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON THIS SALE! Xoxo

For me Groupon work excellent. Many clients come back, only if you know what they want, talk with them, give some tips and all be great. Clients love this, and you show them you know very well your job. After Groupon I am full booked for Jan and Feb for full price. I hope this help:) xxx

I don't agree that sales should be 'forced' on to Groupon/ voucher clients. They aren't 'ripping you off' they have simply bought a voucher in good faith (or been gifted it) and yes, it may well be a heavily discounted service but that's the business owner/managers choice to do this.

In this economic climate, you have to accept that some people will go for discounted services as money is scare but equally there are some people who will become repeat customers.

I think all customers should be treated with the same dignity and respect as you would want to receive when you buy a service. If you try and force feed people, chances are they will feel uncomfortable and wont return. They might have bought a product from you but you have to offset that against the fact you might just have lost their long term custom and that they won't be recommending you to their friends.

Last edited:
We're being forced to buy things all the time in the big bad world that is called "real life" look at all the deals massive supermarkets do, naming no names but we know the main one that gives us points when we shop!! They don't do deals and offers like that out the goodness of their heart! It's to win us over and make us return! Oh and guess what.....we've returned every 4 weeks, for a monthly shop or every week for a few bits.

, my point is why can't we advise people on product offers and deals if it's going to benefit them and also us on the long run?

I think it's harder on beauty therapists if im honest, yes we all retail what we use, but hairdressers never retail tints and chemicals, but I guess beauty salons selling creams etc... Might get clients to think ah I have the professional stuff I will just do it myself. Xoxo

sorry to jump on this thread just out interest how much do groupon kgb take from the booking or charge u?

Groupon took 50% from us when we did it.

My biggest tip would be this: When booking clients in, take the security code from the voucher and write it next to the booking - when they don't turn up (haven't cancelled with 24hrs notice etc)...REDEEM IT. Then you will still get the money from that voucher even though they haven't shown. Like taking a deposit I guess.

We didn't know what was going to be needed to redeem these vouchers when we first started it back in March. We are still booked up with it now untill the end of Jan - because Groupon over sold by about 500 vouchers.

We have people booked in all day on a Sunday, and at least 2 won't show and we're left with a gap in the diary and no codes to redeem it. Wish we'd known we needed the security code to redeem the voucher (this is when you do your redemptions online using the 'Groupon-Partner' portal...which you should have access to anyway.)

We haven't had any (sorry tell a lie, we had 2 people return out of 980 vouchers sold) repeat business as most of the people are not from the area and wouldnt usually travel that far to go to a salon to pay full price. We've even done e-shots to them with special offers but it hasn't brought anyone back who's used the Groupon.

Hope this helps, and good luck! :|

because Groupon over sold by about 500 vouchers.

This is the bit that annoys me the most about Groupon! They 'forget' to cap the sales, or there was a "system error". Groupon aren't the ones who get the bad publicity from that - it is the business the vouchers are for.

Mat

50%!!!! thats ridiculous! i understand the climate is bad but id rather exhaust every avenue of self advertising then pay those rates their already discounted! have u not thought about advertising in ur local gazette? do the offers urself and pay an amount for a local magazibe publisher to do it or get flyers printed iff abd ask news agents to add to their round deliveries for a fee.

This is the bit that annoys me the most about Groupon! They 'forget' to cap the sales, or there was a "system error". Groupon aren't the ones who get the bad publicity from that - it is the business the vouchers are for.

Mat

Yep. We were in a stuation where people would call to book, we'd say 'Sorry our earliest appointment is 6 months away as we can't fit everyone in soon' to which the customer will say "Well you should have thought about that before you sold all these deals!".....they don't realise that yes we signed up to it, but at the end of the day Groupon control how many are sold, even when we cap sales at just under 500 or whatever.

They give bullpoo excuses as to why this happened like system error etc....even when you spot the sales going over your cap, you call them to say 'NOOOOOO, STOOOOOOOOOP!!' they say they can't do anything. Funny, then why has it happened to most of the companies I've spoken to that have done a Groupon?

50%!!!! thats ridiculous! i understand the climate is bad but id rather exhaust every avenue of self advertising then pay those rates their already discounted! have u not thought about advertising in ur local gazette? do the offers urself and pay an amount for a local magazibe publisher to do it or get flyers printed iff abd ask news agents to add to their round deliveries for a fee.

That's what I suggested to the owner but she said 'oh I never thought of that'. She ended up making no money at all from the Groupon treatments, she barely covered our wages let alone products used etc.

I think Groupon looks like a good marketing tool at first, but for the majority it doesn't really work.

Groupon took 50% from us when we did it.

My biggest tip would be this: When booking clients in, take the security code from the voucher and write it next to the booking - when they don't turn up (haven't cancelled with 24hrs notice etc)...REDEEM IT. Then you will still get the money from that voucher even though they haven't shown. Like taking a deposit I guess.

We didn't know what was going to be needed to redeem these vouchers when we first started it back in March. We are still booked up with it now untill the end of Jan - because Groupon over sold by about 500 vouchers.

We have people booked in all day on a Sunday, and at least 2 won't show and we're left with a gap in the diary and no codes to redeem it. Wish we'd known we needed the security code to redeem the voucher (this is when you do your redemptions online using the 'Groupon-Partner' portal...which you should have access to anyway.)

We haven't had any (sorry tell a lie, we had 2 people return out of 980 vouchers sold) repeat business as most of the people are not from the area and wouldnt usually travel that far to go to a salon to pay full price. We've even done e-shots to them with special offers but it hasn't brought anyone back who's used the Groupon.

Hope this helps, and good luck! :|

2 from 980 is worrying! Something's not right about the services you offered! I've had 23 out of the 39 return and all rebooked for hair appointments, I did a KGB deal on December and sold 39 online
and people contact me directly also.

So it's ok to offer a discounted service without groupon if they call direct? Xoxo

id def avoid kgb and groupon, id rather poke hot pins in my eyes then let them dogs have money ive earned! u need to make sure ur taking all ur clients emails and send out monthly emails remindign them of ur treatments and prices and maybe do an offer of the month im doing gelish manicures and rockstar pedicures together with 20% off total price. Utilize everything facebook, twitter local publications, maybe even see if theres anylocal weight watchers or slimming world club and do deals with them such as who evers the biggest loser of the week they get 30% off a treatment on the understading they hand out ur flyers or leaflets, see if u have a city forum luckily we have one of he biggest city forums i sheffield so that always helps. personally id stick to offering the best deals to ur regulars and stick to offering discounts for loyalty.

So it's ok to offer a discounted service without groupon if they call direct? Xoxo

Yeah course, u then get the full amount, I'd never do an offer for colour only cut and blow, but 7 out of 10 ppl upgraded to a colour service as well! X

You can discuss with Groupon about %. I have 65% and Groupon 35%. All is depends how you talk with clients, how you show your salon, explain what you do(no only voucher) tell about your cv, and clients trust you and come back. And very important: smile :)
Xxx

Latest posts

Back