Gumtree

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melanie89

Reaction score
Does anyone use Gumtree for advertising? Iv been putting ads on lately and find that anyone who books from seeing an ad on it usually cancells.. now i have a girl emailing me right now asking "Could you do Minx Toes and a set of Acrylic nails with coloured tips for £35.00 please?" Excuse me!!? i would never dream of going into a salon and saying Id like this and that but am only will to pay you £xx, how rude! i emailed back saying No and the prices for minx toes were £20 and nails £30 and she emailed back saying "so you couldnt do it for £35?" :eek: I just wrote back saying No it would be £50 altogether - no reply lol. I need to find a new advertising plan i think! xx

Aye, I have heard bad things about it too, most notably that people have had "perves" phoning them from adverts that they had placed on Gumtree.

I guess the only good thing about it is that it will improve your website's Google placement (if you have a link to your web site in your ad on there)...

I place my ad on gumtree every 5days or so and have had quite a good response from it. Quite a few of my regular clients found me on gumtree.

I know what you mean about the email though as ive had quite a few like this as they must feel braver about asking for discounts through email lol. xx

What a bloody cheek - I did place a couple of ads on gumtree but as someone else said i had a couple of pervy blokes call only. wasn't worth it to be honest. It's too expensive aswell

i use gumtree once a week. its only 4.95.. not that expensive.

ive got a few regulars from it so far.
you'l always get people trying to knock the price off not just from gumtree even ones that come in with a pricelist:rolleyes:. and you get some advertising emails from companys also which is annoying.

its been worthwhile so far and also got a few cancel but not anymore then the ones not from gumtree

havent got any pervy calls from it but i only advertise hair, waxing, nails. i did when i advertised massage so i dont anymore.
i used to get alot of pervy calls from vivastreet though which i dont use anymore.

I found the only phone calls i got from gumtree were pervy ones. All men asking for massage who had different ideas about what a massage was. It's hard out there at the moment getting your name out there and it's quiet everywhere. Total cheek that girl asking for the treatments at the price she wanted, you wouldn;t walk into a shop and say i know this is supposed to be £50 but i'll give you £35 for it, it's laughable!

I have always advertised on Gumtree amongst other sites and have found it to be quite profitable in terms of the amount of customers I have gained from it.
Also, its free. It obviously drops down the list if more people advertise in the same area, but you get an email after about 3-5 days to remind you to re-advertise and thus move back up the list. (the lowest I have ever been is position 6 I think, which is still only 1/2 way down the first page.
I think any free advertising is a good thing and unfortunately you do get the cheeky ones that ask you to lower prices and the pervs if you advertise massaging, but personally, for me, the pros out way the cons.
hth
x

Ive advertised on there but never had any responses from my adds.:rolleyes:

We use gumtree for:

1. Advertising training courses;
2. Advertising for models for training courses.

We don't pay, bump the ads up every few days and cover all the gumtree areas around us (Gloucester, bristol, swansea, cardiff).

We have had positive returns for nail training and regularly get models for training.

As Ruth says, if nothing else it will up your web presence.

Regarding pervs, we have seen some strange gumtree adverts including someone offering free 'hand relief' (not sure whether the giver was male or female), so if you are offering any treatments that could be misconstrued I would be up front and say so.

Regards

Mike

The same girl texted me asking the same thing for £35.00 I told her the same politely that my prices were set prices that reflected the quality products and services I provided. Gumtree has worked for me sometimes but you do get people asking how cheap they can get treatments for I say the prices are set as per the ad.

J x

Hi, a few of you have said its free to advertise on there??? when i was going to list myself it was £4.95. Is it free? Maybe i was doing it wrong

Latest posts

Back